• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do we have a right to choose a rabbit on looks?

happysaz133

Wise Old Thumper
I have seen on some rescue websites, that if you care about the colour and looks of the rabbit you want, you will not be allowed to adopt from them. Some think you shouldn't have a rabbit if you care about colour and looks.

What do you think? They reason I chose Islay & Jura as because Islay was black and white patchy, which is what I had wanted for a long time, and Jura just happened to come with her as they were bonded.

I dont have a problem with people prefering differnt looks of rabbits.
I have orange nethies, but i dont love them just cause there orange, i just think orange is a nice colour on a bun.

I want a nethie, or even better a black and white vienna marked nethie next time! I think you should be allowed to pick your own rabbit

I think its more about falling in love with that rabbit it might be black,white,agouti:love:
But if you dont get that feeling you would not rehome him/her:)

I think so - if you like the look of a rabbit there is nothing wrong with that- as long as you have the right intentions for how the rabbit is cared for etc. I think the idea is you ought to choose a bunny on temperament- but to me i could handle any buns temperament and would work with it so it wouldn't be an issue.

I love english spot rabbits- i don't have one- but they are beautiful aren't they - there isn't anything wrong with admiring beauty in my view. I think dwarf bunnies are beautiful also.

Some breeds of bunny i don't think are at all attractive (can't think of any- but i do know some dogs and cat breeds are very funny looking :)). I'm sure they are still lovely, but that is not the point is it. If you want to choose a pretty looking bunny from a rescue- i don't see why not.

This does mean rescues will end up with the less desirable looking bunnys- so i can see why some would say- you can't choose a rabbit based on good looks. A little far fetched though if you ask me. I would say if you can rehome a bunny from a rescue- then great!

We tend to go for looks first with our own species when looking for a partner. It doesn't surprise me we are prepositioned to notice beauty in bunnys or whatever else.

Last edited:
i think if you are getting a rabbit or pair for the first time there is no shame in wanting a particular breed but if you are adopting a partner for your existing bunny then the bunny should choose and the human preference for looks should take a back seat.

im lucky Alvin in discussion with Lou (hopper haven) picked the perfect partners and i have loved both of them for looks and personality :love: i had no say in these pairings :lol:

I don't think there's a problem with choosing a bunny by the way he/she looks - it's human nature to prefer the way one bun looks over another. I think this thread loosely links in with the 'contradictory forum' thread, in that you may choose a bunny by the way it looks from a pet shop/breeder, but if you go to a rescue to pair one bun with another, you will let the bunny choose its partner. I suppose I'm talking personally - my rescue buns have been chosen by other bunnies, some buns I've chosen due to looks, and others due to behaviour etc. Very interesting question! :wave:

i think if you are getting a rabbit or pair for the first time there is no shame in wanting a particular breed but if you are adopting a partner for your existing bunny then the bunny should choose and the human preference for looks should take a back seat.

im lucky Alvin in discussion with Lou (hopper haven) picked the perfect partners and i have loved both of them for looks and personality :love: i had no say in these pairings :lol:

Definitely- no question there- if it's a second bunny- it's got to be about compatibility for the bunny.

I didn't choose Spenser because he was a REW - he was recommended to me by the previous owner as probably the most suitable for a new bunny mummy. I could have had a brother with black fur, but he wasn't available to view when I met Spenser, and I would have found it impossible to choose. If I become in a position to take on another rabbit my top priority would be finding one that would be happy with Spenser. Can't see me being allowed to set up a second hutch in the garden!

My dream rabbit is an agouti french lop or a grey and white french lop :love::love: but the first rabbit I got was Harvey. I didn't pick him for his looks - I didn't even like the look of him that much - but there was only him and one other rabbit there when I went to get him. I fell in love with him and now I think he's the most gorgeous rabbit ever. I guess what I'm trying to say is we all probably have dream rabbits but you just end up going with your heart when you actually see them

I didn't choose my boys - they were dumped where I worked, and I fell in love with their characters. It wouldn't have mattered what colour they were, or what breed.

And I've never seen an ugly bun, so if I were having to choose one I'd never be able to make my mind up on looks :lol: I'd have to go for the one who had been waiting for a home the longest, or was oldest, or had 3 legs etc

I didn't choose my boys - they were dumped where I worked, and I fell in love with their characters. It wouldn't have mattered what colour they were, or what breed.

And I've never seen an ugly bun, so if I were having to choose one I'd never be able to make my mind up on looks :lol: I'd have to go for the one who had been waiting for a home the longest, or was oldest, or had 3 legs etc

Me too. I didn't realise until I joined the Forum that black bunnies were generally hard to rehome, and I often think about Spenser's brother. :(

i think we have every right to choose a bunny that we think looks 'nice'.
I was originally trying to find a tanned lop, which i did, and took on Nutmeg on as well because she was bonded with Cinnamon.
However, i dont think this should be a restriction when finding a bunny, like only looking for ones that look cute. I think personality is really important when choosing a rabbit.

I don't think it matters if you like a rabbit for the way it looks. :? I would love a thrianta because I love their colouring but I don't care if I never get one. I love all my buns that I don't mind how they look. :love: They are gorgeous to me and I personally think personality is more important. However when rescues post pics of those buns available, I do prefer some to others because of how they look, but all are gorgeous anyway. :lol:

I love silver agoutis in both rabbits and guinea pigs and I don't have any! :lol: I got Harvey bunny from the RSPCA he looks like he belongs in Watership Down and it was his personality I fell in love with.

The only bunny I chose for her looks was blossom, she is an angora and we needed a smallish bun for Daisy who we took in for a friend. Our other buns, Cindy, Misty, Honey and Emmalena seemed to choose us. Emmalena has the nickname of 'dog' because she is huge and black and looks like a Newfoundland! :D

I've no problems with people liking certain colours or breeds, the key is education thats the most important thing with any animal care. :)

Me too. I didn't realise until I joined the Forum that black bunnies were generally hard to rehome, and I often think about Spenser's brother. :(

I think REWs are one of the harder colours to rehome as well. I can't think why :?
REWs and black bunnies are some of my favourites!

I don't think it's wrong to choose a pet on its looks. If there are a few suitable animals at a rescue it can be hard to choose between them without taking appearance and other preferences into account.
I didn't choose any of my current pets because of what they look like but I do have a few 'favourites' at Kirkby rescue that I would adopt if I possibly could and some of those are based on appearance.

None of mine are my ideal rabbit, but I just love them for their personalities. Buzz came to me as a shaved, REW mongrel rabbit who used to bite me every time I came near. He is very average looking as a rabbit - some have said he's quite ugly - but loving him has made his personality thrive and now he is the friendliest bun I've ever known!

Each to their own I say.
I wanted Nethies when I got mine and I admit I chose mine because of their looks and their personalities to an extent. Luckily we all have different ideas with regards to the best looking bunnies. If I were to get more bunnies now I wouldn't go on what they looked like. Probably on their need and my suitability - special needs bun.:wave:

Since coming on RU I have fallen in love with lops ( Locksley is to blame for that and now the gorgeous Mabel), Dutch bunnies ( Cloud and Honneybunny Paw Paw to blame). BIG bunnies ( Teddy, Bouncer and all the other big RU buns). I could keep going. :wave:
I missed out the likes of Nursecroft's and kaths131 Mittens, Dreamer, Teddy already mentioned, Tinkerbell. Jack's Jane's rexes and others. I MUST stop now. :)

Last edited:
I wanted something fairly even tempered but with a lot of personality - the shed we have wouldnt be big enough for a large pair of buns but suits the nethies fine :)

I didnt chose either for their colour, i picked him because he snuggled up to me straight away and her.... well... because she was a skinny, poorly little thing and i couldnt leave her.

Back