PDA

View Full Version : rabbits in need

leanne2525
02-01-2011, 07:07 PM
i just seen a advert on gumtree for two rabbits and cage near where i live free to good home and i rang woman she dont know what breed or sex they are just that ones black and ones spotty, she just said she wants rid she didnt know if they had floppy or straight ears, i cant home these rabbits but i dont think i can leave them there i am tempted to take them and find a home but i dont know if im doing right thing, i alreay have 2 rescue rexes to find home for, but i know if i take these i could either get them to a rescue or a happy new home

Santa
02-01-2011, 07:17 PM
It's such a tricky one. There will always be more buns than we can help...are these buns any more at risk than any other bun currently on a rescue waiting list? One of the reasons the 'no freeads' rule was put on here was because so many people were finding freead buns and asking rescues to take them, which then puts the rescue in a difficult situation, as they need to prioritise need and by taking a freead bun (which may not be any more 'at risk' than any other bun needing a home) it may actually be denying a rescue place to another one that needs the rescue place more.

I have taken buns in and rehomed them directly before, but you need to be prepared that you might be stuck with them for a significant period of time before rehoming; can you cope/afford it if they turn out to be very unwell and need vet treatment and/or are pregnant and produce 8 more babies? Can you afford/have time to neuter, vaccinate, homecheck etc? Do you have somewhere suitable to keep them and to keep them quarantined away from any other rabbits you have?

I do understand why you're anxious and it's so hard once you've seen them or spoken to people, but personally I wouldn't ask a rescue to take them and would only take them myself if I had the capacity and finance to deal with them properly myself, whatever their circumstances turned out to be.

Bunny Buddy
02-01-2011, 07:18 PM
Has she said if they are living together?

If so and one is male and the other female you could be rescuing more than 2 rabbits :shock:

That said, also, more than 2 would need rescuing also :cry::cry: How can they know so little about a living creature in their care ? :cry:

molly35
02-01-2011, 07:19 PM
How on earth can she not know if they are lop or uppy eared!!!!!!

leanne2525
02-01-2011, 08:47 PM
i went and got these rabbits and i am glad i did they was in a indoor cage which was no more than large rat cage, there was two rabbits and a guinea pig, they had been brought in because of cold, when i see outside cage i think its more like thedogs had nearly chewed through to the rabbits, and when i looked at them they look to be both females and one is a english they said a year old but she is like a skeleton evry bone is sticking out and can hardly walk as so skinny i nearly cried and the condition of these , i cant keep them as i dont haveroom but i will look after them til they get a home and i am going to get them checked over and they need proper care

Mischief and Tinker's Mum
02-01-2011, 08:51 PM
i went and got these rabbits and i am glad i did they was in a indoor cage which was no more than large rat cage, there was two rabbits and a guinea pig, they had been brought in because of cold, when i see outside cage i think its more like thedogs had nearly chewed through to the rabbits, and when i looked at them they look to be both females and one is a english they said a year old but she is like a skeleton evry bone is sticking out and can hardly walk as so skinny i nearly cried and the condition of these , i cant keep them as i dont haveroom but i will look after them til they get a home and i am going to get them checked over and they need proper care

Thank goodness you got them. :love: I was going to suggest you got them but then saw that you already have. Well done, sounds like they were neglected little things. :cry: If you have room and money to keep them with you then I would as rescues are so full at this time. :( I'm really glad you could help. Piccies?? ;) xx

glossta1
02-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Very well done for rescuing them

Good luck with next steps. Have you a good vet who can check them over and advise you? Did the woman tell you what food they are used to (doesn't seem that had enough of whatever it was, but at least you can avoid sudden changes and minimise the risk of stasis).

Lots of vibes for returning them to health.

Ambience
02-01-2011, 08:53 PM
Well done on rescuing them :) x

02-01-2011, 08:54 PM
I was going to say the spotty one is probably an English, the other might be a self black english?

leanne2525
02-01-2011, 08:54 PM
i am going to ring a few rescues to see if they have room but i think the english needs vet treatment as so underweight, i really dont have room for them but wont be letting the go until there in a safe home :) ill put some photos up in a sec

leanne2525
02-01-2011, 08:55 PM
Very well done for rescuing them

Good luck with next steps. Have you a good vet who can check them over and advise you? Did the woman tell you what food they are used to (doesn't seem that had enough of whatever it was, but at least you can avoid sudden changes and minimise the risk of stasis).

Lots of vibes for returning them to health.

all i was told was they was eating guinea pig food as they didnt have rabbit and they eat carrots :shock:

glossta1
02-01-2011, 08:59 PM
I think there's something in GP food that buns can't have, or maybe it's the other way round. Anyway, it is clear they will be a helluva lot better off from now on. I hope all goes well as you build them back up. At least the woman did get help for them, albeit not really in the best way.

leanne2525
02-01-2011, 09:00 PM
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t12/funnybeardy/DSCF4259.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t12/funnybeardy/DSCF4261.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t12/funnybeardy/DSCF4265.jpg
cage i took with rabbits
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t12/funnybeardy/DSCF4267.jpg
dog bite marks are all over cage
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t12/funnybeardy/DSCF4272.jpg

Jenova
02-01-2011, 09:04 PM
I'm so glad you took them. :shock:

02-01-2011, 09:05 PM
:cry: Poor things. They are gorgeous and I love english buns. :( I think they are both english, spot and self black. Where are they staying now then?

Georgeypudding
02-01-2011, 09:07 PM
I can't express with words how shocked I am at the state of the spotty bun:shock:

bunnymadhouse
02-01-2011, 09:10 PM
:( :( :(..poor bunnies ... :(

leanne2525
02-01-2011, 09:14 PM
i took her 4ft double cage and put them in that with lots of hay , which they didnt have any at other house, the indoor cage they was in was not much more than a large gerbil cage, there bottle was useless as they had dog tooth punctures holes in :shock:

glossta1
02-01-2011, 09:17 PM
There are worse hutches. Getting their health back is the priority - when they are a better weight they will cope with a house-move no problem - esp if you can give them some free-range time in the meantime. How big is the hutch?

Hanlou
02-01-2011, 09:17 PM
:cry: :cry: :cry: - they are so, so thin. Well done on getting them - I hope they will start to thrive again soon. The poor buns.

leanne2525
02-01-2011, 09:20 PM
There are worse hutches. Getting their health back is the priority - when they are a better weight they will cope with a house-move no problem - esp if you can give them some free-range time in the meantime. How big is the hutch?

my partner measured it and its 4 x 2 , they started eating as soon as i put them in hutch

glossta1
02-01-2011, 09:24 PM
probably it is their familiar territory, and they feel safer and happier there, hence the eating. If you can keep them in it safely, that may be their best hope of reaching decent weights asap. Good luck with it all. Keep posting.

weedug
02-01-2011, 09:25 PM
:shock: Poor little souls! Thank goodness you got them out!

I agree with Mischief and Tinker's mum, both look like English. I love English buns too, they're so loving, and it's breaking my heart to see those 2 so unloved :cry:.

What are your plans for them?

leanne2525
02-01-2011, 09:30 PM
:shock: Poor little souls! Thank goodness you got them out!

I agree with Mischief and Tinker's mum, both look like English. I love English buns too, they're so loving, and it's breaking my heart to see those 2 so unloved :cry:.

What are your plans for them?

i spoke to few local rescues as i cant keep them but could not leave them in state they was, and i know there are waiting lists so i will keep them until they can be taken to proper home, i am going to get them checked over to to make sure they are ok

unalakey
02-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Well done:wave::D So glad you have them, poor buns:cry::cry:

hurricanhoney
02-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Glad you took them they are soo thin :( Just makes you wonder how many more bunnies are out there like this.

one of the family
02-01-2011, 09:39 PM
I know there are so many bunnies needing help but you have certainly helped these two.

Do you know the story of the old man on the beach full of star fish drying out and dying in the sun?

A young man stands at the top of a beach early one morning watching as an old man on a walking stick struggles to bend down and pick up one of the many star fish scattered across the beach drying out and therefore dying in the sun.

The old man struggles to bend down, picks up a star fish and carries it back to the water's edge and gently puts it back in the sea before going back up the beach and picking up another and doing the same thing with a struggle all over again.

The young man watches this for a while but makes no attempt to help. Eventually he calls out to the old man "old man, why are you bothering to do that? What difference will it make? The sun is coming up and soon they will dry out and die. You will never save all of them!"

The old man didn't stop to look at the young man but answered as he bent down at the water's edge and said "maybe I won't save all of them - but I made a difference to that one" and then gently again put another star fish back in to the sea.

The point I am making is we can't save all the little buns and other needy animals we see but we can make a difference to a few and you have made that difference to these two - well done you and good luck little buns!

Best wishes

Ruth xx :wave:

leanne2525
02-01-2011, 09:47 PM
thank you, i just hope they will b ok now and get the happy lives they deserve no animal deserve that way of life

weedug
02-01-2011, 09:48 PM
i spoke to few local rescues as i cant keep them but could not leave them in state they was, and i know there are waiting lists so i will keep them until they can be taken to proper home, i am going to get them checked over to to make sure they are ok

:wave: Keep us posted with how they are doing.

They must have lived in constant fear too, if there was a dog doing that to their hutch and water bottles :cry:

leanne2525
02-01-2011, 09:50 PM
she had 2 alsation dogs in kitchen that didnt like rabbits :roll:

glossta1
02-01-2011, 09:50 PM
Ruth, that is a lovely story. And so true.

02-01-2011, 09:52 PM
I know there are so many bunnies needing help but you have certainly helped these two.

Do you know the story of the old man on the beach full of star fish drying out and dying in the sun?

A young man stands at the top of a beach early one morning watching as an old man on a walking stick struggles to bend down and pick up one of the many star fish scattered across the beach drying out and therefore dying in the sun.

The old man struggles to bend down, picks up a star fish and carries it back to the water's edge and gently puts it back in the sea before going back up the beach and picking up another and doing the same thing with a struggle all over again.

The young man watches this for a while but makes no attempt to help. Eventually he calls out to the old man "old man, why are you bothering to do that? What difference will it make? The sun is coming up and soon they will dry out and die. You will never save all of them!"

The old man didn't stop to look at the young man but answered as he bent down at the water's edge and said "maybe I won't save all of them - but I made a difference to that one" and then gently again put another star fish back in to the sea.

The point I am making is we can't save all the little buns and other needy animals we see but we can make a difference to a few and you have made that difference to these two - well done you and good luck little buns!

Best wishes

Ruth xx :wave:

I know of that story and I love it. :) I know I helped all 4 of my bunnies. Mischief and Tink would have gone to a pet shop and could have been sold to anyone so I feel I helped them. Jasper was a pet shop bunny (naughty I know) but I feel I certainly made a difference to his lonely life. :) No one wanted him because he was one of the older buns. He was kept in a tiny hutch and was all alone. When I saw him, he was so friendly towards me, standing up and licking my fingers. :love: How could I resist? :(
Blossom, I rescued from my aunty who neglected her, if I didn't find out about her, she would have certainly died soon. She was so thin and my aunty told me she was trying to kill off the nasty little thing. :shock: :cry: She's ever so friendly. Some people are so cruel. Some people may not agree with where I got my rabbits from because I didn't go to a rescue but I love them and wouldn't change them for the world. I know I rescued them and I dread to think what could have happened to them. :cry:

I'm glad these 2 have been rescued too. :love:

dizzyg
02-01-2011, 09:55 PM
They're so thin!!! Poor bubbas!!

I do feel for the dogs though, I can imagine the fresh bunny smell was driving them nuts poor things:shock:

What happened to the piggie?

I'm sure with your TLC these buns will be a lovely size soon and make someone beautiful pets. Well done for saving them!!

:love:

weedug
02-01-2011, 10:01 PM
she had 2 alsation dogs in kitchen that didnt like rabbits :roll:

:shock:

Well done on making it such a good new year for those 2 gorgeous buns. They are very lucky.

leanne2525
02-01-2011, 10:15 PM
They're so thin!!! Poor bubbas!!

I do feel for the dogs though, I can imagine the fresh bunny smell was driving them nuts poor things:shock:

What happened to the piggie?

I'm sure with your TLC these buns will be a lovely size soon and make someone beautiful pets. Well done for saving them!!

:love:

The guinea pig was left there in small cage he wasn't being rehomed but she wanted rid of rabbits as she put it, as she had too many animals

02-01-2011, 10:33 PM
The guinea pig was left there in small cage he wasn't being rehomed but she wanted rid of rabbits as she put it, as she had too many animals

poor thing. :( Hope they get it a friend. :cry:

Joh619
02-01-2011, 11:51 PM
I can't believe how thin they are :cry: They are beautiful though. Well done for rescuing them.

Crunchie
03-01-2011, 02:36 AM
Poor things, big well done for getting them out and I imagine they can't believe their luck at being taken away from there.:cry:

*lily*
03-01-2011, 07:42 AM
So glad they are with you now xxx

weedug
03-01-2011, 10:55 AM
How are these 2 getting on today?

raine
03-01-2011, 10:55 AM
I agree with Santa's post and the problems of "us" looking at the free ads, wanting to save them etc etc., and the problem this then poses for rescues.

In this case, thankfully you contacted the owner and decided to proceed yourself. Sometimes, bunnies are "sent" to us to help. Their plight would have been very hard to determine via email and, looking at them, they needed urgent intervention. Well done for helping them.

Are they eating hay?

Did you take the guinea pig as well? If not, because of the dogs, Im sure Anna at Wheek and Squeak would help with the pig. She sorted the 100 Lymington guineas and runs a fab rescue.

http://www.freewebs.com/cavylover1/

leanne2525
03-01-2011, 11:21 AM
i didnt take guinea pig the woman wanted it but the cage was too small , and the rabbits have lots of hay and they eaten loads and seem very timid i spoke to rspca this morning and there going to help me regarding finding a home they did want the persons details as they want to check other animals

Fluffers
03-01-2011, 11:31 AM
i didnt take guinea pig the woman wanted it but the cage was too small , and the rabbits have lots of hay and they eaten loads and seem very timid i spoke to rspca this morning and there going to help me regarding finding a home they did want the persons details as they want to check other animals

Well that's something at least!

Well done for rescuing these two lovely rabbits. Sounds like they're enjoying their yummy hay and will improve quickly now that you have them. I wonder if there's anyone near to you who has a run or a larger hutch which they could lend you for the buns until they find their new home? :D

Bunny Buddy
03-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Thank god you followed your instincts. They are absolutely beautiful, it's heartbreaking to know what they've been through so far :cry::cry:

Grin
03-01-2011, 11:43 AM
What gorgeous (if skinny) bunnies. I'm so glad you've saved them. Good luck with them xxxxx

molly35
03-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Whereabouts up north are you? I have a spare 5ft 2 tier hutch with run which I was going to use to take in another foster but if you need a hand I may be able to help out.

susieb1
03-01-2011, 12:26 PM
:shock:

Well done on making it such a good new year for those 2 gorgeous buns. They are very lucky.

Here, here. Well done!:wave:

Milo+Fizz
03-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Well done for rescuing them! :love: Did they live inside for long at the old home and are they outside now? The only reason I ask is a healthy bunny will struggle with the temp change for inside to outside so these skinny girls will find it worse.

leanne2525
03-01-2011, 12:46 PM
hi im in leeds, but the rspca are ment to be coming out and they should take the rabbits in as there in a bad condition , also the mum is fighting with baby every now and then so im monitoring them :(
as far as i know they was in side for a few days to a week but they have winter fur, i dont think the woman new what she had done with them :?

Milo+Fizz
03-01-2011, 12:49 PM
hi im in leeds, but the rspca are ment to be coming out and they should take the rabbits in as there in a bad condition , also the mum is fighting with baby every now and then so im monitoring them :(
as far as i know they was in side for a few days to a week but they have winter fur, i dont think the woman new what she had done with them :?

Oh right okay. Im sure you already know this but make sure you keep the hutch wrapped up and warm. Plenty of hay for the poor mites to snuggle in. :love: I would ask SOAD to put them on Rabbits In Need on here. Im sure these girls would get snapped up. Do they have names or have I missed that?

Fluffers
03-01-2011, 12:57 PM

:( It will be a shame if they have to be split. They would no doubt calm considerably once spayed. I do hope they can be found suitable accommodation very soon :wave:

raine
03-01-2011, 12:57 PM

Are you sure that this RSPCA branch will allow these rabbits to recover with them and rehome, or will they pts??????

Fluffers
03-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Are you sure that this RSPCA branch will allow these rabbits to recover with them and rehome, or will they pts??????

...I was thinking the same :(

leanne2525
03-01-2011, 12:58 PM
we was just talking about that here as my son wanted to see them and wants to know why they have no names, the woman who had them just called them the rabbits
i just let my son name them the english is called blackavar (watership down)and the baby is called ace :)

Grin
03-01-2011, 12:59 PM
we was just talking about that here as my son wanted to see them and wants to know why they have no names, the woman who had them just called them the rabbits
i just let my son name them the english is called blackavar and the baby is called ace :)

Uh - oh - naming them is one step closer to ownership! :love:

Grin
03-01-2011, 01:00 PM

Seriously - would they do that?? How could they?? :cry:

leanne2525
no i know i cant keep them but every rabbit needs a name :)

leanne2525

Grin
03-01-2011, 01:01 PM

Quite true :D

leanne2525
03-01-2011, 01:01 PM
Seriously - would they do that?? How could they?? :cry:

she said the rspca would take care of them, i took that as look after them?

Fluffers
03-01-2011, 01:10 PM
she said the rspca would take care of them, i took that as look after them?

Well that could well be the case. However, sadly many RSPCA branches and other rescues PTS if they are unable to find homes within a reasonable time frame or if the animals require a lot of treatment / have issues :(

This is one of the reasons why many of the Honeybunnies take a while to find new homes as we have a non euthanase policy & some are difficult to re-home but they stay with us & are cared for until that special home comes along :) Jill often takes in the bunnies that would otherwise be PTS and lets the easy to re-home ones be taken by places where the policies are different....

leanne2525
03-01-2011, 01:12 PM
i think i would hold on to them if i thought they would do this, but they seem fine just very very underweight, the eating and drinking, i just need them a home :)

Fluffers
03-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Oh right okay. Im sure you already know this but make sure you keep the hutch wrapped up and warm. Plenty of hay for the poor mites to snuggle in. :love: I would ask SOAD to put them on Rabbits In Need on here. Im sure these girls would get snapped up. Do they have names or have I missed that?

I think that's a very good idea :thumb:

leanne2525
03-01-2011, 01:54 PM
thanks i just sent a message asking for a post to go up about them

raine
03-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Leanne - didnt want to worry you, but wanted you to clarify with the officer before you hand over the bunnies. All branches are independently run and the best way to determine how your branch operates, is to have a quick look at that branches website. i.e. do they have rabbits needing homes. It might all be fine.

leanne2525
03-01-2011, 02:06 PM
Leanne - didnt want to worry you, but wanted you to clarify with the officer before you hand over the bunnies. All branches are independently run and the best way to determine how your branch operates, is to have a quick look at that branches website. i.e. do they have rabbits needing homes. It might all be fine.

i think i am leaning toward finding them a home more than rspca, i dont want them PTS, they just need tlc :)

weedug
03-01-2011, 02:22 PM
I think that you are doing very well with them. And after getting them out of that place, I'm sure you'll do what you feel is best for them.

They are very lucky buns!

leanne2525
03-01-2011, 07:16 PM
I just got a call from rspca and they said they want to take photos of the rabbits and take them to a vet and they could take them and as long as they have no major illnesses they will NOT put them to sleep and they going to do house call on previous owner, so that's good :-)

leanne2525
04-01-2011, 10:39 AM
both rabbits are eating and drinking loads and the baby seems to want to be handled and paid attention to the mum is more subdues and seems to panic a bit when she first sees you, for rabbits that have been stuck in a small cage and ignored they are very friendly :love:

Fluffers
04-01-2011, 10:50 AM
both rabbits are eating and drinking loads and the baby seems to want to be handled and paid attention to the mum is more subdues and seems to panic a bit when she first sees you, for rabbits that have been stuck in a small cage and ignored they are very friendly :love:

That's great news. Hopefully they will gain some weight, confidence and be easy to re-home :D:D:D