• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbits in need

leanne2525

Warren Scout
i just seen a advert on gumtree for two rabbits and cage near where i live free to good home and i rang woman she dont know what breed or sex they are just that ones black and ones spotty, she just said she wants rid she didnt know if they had floppy or straight ears, i cant home these rabbits but i dont think i can leave them there i am tempted to take them and find a home but i dont know if im doing right thing, i alreay have 2 rescue rexes to find home for, but i know if i take these i could either get them to a rescue or a happy new home

It's such a tricky one. There will always be more buns than we can help...are these buns any more at risk than any other bun currently on a rescue waiting list? One of the reasons the 'no freeads' rule was put on here was because so many people were finding freead buns and asking rescues to take them, which then puts the rescue in a difficult situation, as they need to prioritise need and by taking a freead bun (which may not be any more 'at risk' than any other bun needing a home) it may actually be denying a rescue place to another one that needs the rescue place more.

I have taken buns in and rehomed them directly before, but you need to be prepared that you might be stuck with them for a significant period of time before rehoming; can you cope/afford it if they turn out to be very unwell and need vet treatment and/or are pregnant and produce 8 more babies? Can you afford/have time to neuter, vaccinate, homecheck etc? Do you have somewhere suitable to keep them and to keep them quarantined away from any other rabbits you have?

I do understand why you're anxious and it's so hard once you've seen them or spoken to people, but personally I wouldn't ask a rescue to take them and would only take them myself if I had the capacity and finance to deal with them properly myself, whatever their circumstances turned out to be.

Has she said if they are living together?

If so and one is male and the other female you could be rescuing more than 2 rabbits :shock:

That said, also, more than 2 would need rescuing also :cry::cry: How can they know so little about a living creature in their care ? :cry:

i went and got these rabbits and i am glad i did they was in a indoor cage which was no more than large rat cage, there was two rabbits and a guinea pig, they had been brought in because of cold, when i see outside cage i think its more like thedogs had nearly chewed through to the rabbits, and when i looked at them they look to be both females and one is a english they said a year old but she is like a skeleton evry bone is sticking out and can hardly walk as so skinny i nearly cried and the condition of these , i cant keep them as i dont haveroom but i will look after them til they get a home and i am going to get them checked over and they need proper care

i went and got these rabbits and i am glad i did they was in a indoor cage which was no more than large rat cage, there was two rabbits and a guinea pig, they had been brought in because of cold, when i see outside cage i think its more like thedogs had nearly chewed through to the rabbits, and when i looked at them they look to be both females and one is a english they said a year old but she is like a skeleton evry bone is sticking out and can hardly walk as so skinny i nearly cried and the condition of these , i cant keep them as i dont haveroom but i will look after them til they get a home and i am going to get them checked over and they need proper care

Thank goodness you got them. :love: I was going to suggest you got them but then saw that you already have. Well done, sounds like they were neglected little things. :cry: If you have room and money to keep them with you then I would as rescues are so full at this time. :( I'm really glad you could help. Piccies?? ;) xx

well done you

Very well done for rescuing them

Good luck with next steps. Have you a good vet who can check them over and advise you? Did the woman tell you what food they are used to (doesn't seem that had enough of whatever it was, but at least you can avoid sudden changes and minimise the risk of stasis).

Lots of vibes for returning them to health.

i am going to ring a few rescues to see if they have room but i think the english needs vet treatment as so underweight, i really dont have room for them but wont be letting the go until there in a safe home :) ill put some photos up in a sec

Very well done for rescuing them

Good luck with next steps. Have you a good vet who can check them over and advise you? Did the woman tell you what food they are used to (doesn't seem that had enough of whatever it was, but at least you can avoid sudden changes and minimise the risk of stasis).

Lots of vibes for returning them to health.

all i was told was they was eating guinea pig food as they didnt have rabbit and they eat carrots :shock:

oh dear

I think there's something in GP food that buns can't have, or maybe it's the other way round. Anyway, it is clear they will be a helluva lot better off from now on. I hope all goes well as you build them back up. At least the woman did get help for them, albeit not really in the best way.

DSCF4259.jpg

DSCF4261.jpg

DSCF4265.jpg

cage i took with rabbits
DSCF4267.jpg

dog bite marks are all over cage
DSCF4272.jpg

i took her 4ft double cage and put them in that with lots of hay , which they didnt have any at other house, the indoor cage they was in was not much more than a large gerbil cage, there bottle was useless as they had dog tooth punctures holes in :shock:

well done

There are worse hutches. Getting their health back is the priority - when they are a better weight they will cope with a house-move no problem - esp if you can give them some free-range time in the meantime. How big is the hutch?

:cry: :cry: :cry: - they are so, so thin. Well done on getting them - I hope they will start to thrive again soon. The poor buns.

Back