• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor housing- runs and pens etc

Ambience

Warren Veteran
Can anyone post indoor housing setups? I was thinking i could get this 8x8 pen i saw and put a couple of them together to make a big area- with some lino under and using a normal indoor cage as a litter tray base.

How does this sound?

I can't give the buns the room unless i cordon off the walls, fireplace etc, so i need the run to act as a fire guard- I don't want them to be able to jump it either or get under it. At the moment it's sat empty- it is going to be my office as well, but i want to have the buns with me to inspire me to work harder. Since all my money goes on them anyways.

I don't know if there are any puppy pens that can be made into any shape to fit the shape of the room.

I have the 2ft and 3ft height runs at the moment for outdoors. The 2ft is useless without a cover though. The 3ft contains the buns. I want something abit more indoor friendly though.

Thanks

We had something similar when bonding but with plastic sheeting and a duvet underneath.

This is the best photo of the whole setup...

_IGP7863-vi.jpg

Obviously as I was bonding I didn't want a big space but the beauty of those pens is you can do what you like with them although you can't get them in a 180 degree angle although you could if you used cable ties.

I will put up pictures of my various setups for you tomorrow Ambience

:wave:

Thanks Graham.

I really need something they can't jump over and i can leave them in 24.7 that can be adapted to fit any shape room also that you can add more panels. I don't know if there are any dog runs that do this. Ruby pen isn't high enough unfortunately - i wouldn't trust my lot not to jump out of it.

Okay,

Now i'm not the most experienced bunny owner by any stretch of the imagination and my property is both small and rented, so im limited to what i can do. So we've so far had the following (in chronological order);

Firstly, we had a 4ft hutch. That was it. You'll see it shortly.

Then i bought a P@H 2ft x 2ft 6 panel set to put round said hutch. I can't find any pictures of this for some reason, if i do, i'll ETA.

Then it was this;

projectplaypen1.jpg

projectplaypen3.jpg

projectplaypen2.jpg

For daytime use we modified this to this;

projectplaypen7.jpg

projectplaypen8.jpg

Biscuit then found he was strong and could jump from floor to top of hutch and escape over the sofa. So we introduced a sheet...

projectplaypen9.jpg

Then he learnt he could jump on top of the sheet and clamber across and escape.

So for unsupervised we had to leave him in the 4x4 :(

Then Ginger arrived and i bonded them.

They both then lived in the 4x4 with free-range supervised and a small extension on that 4x4 of 7x2.

Then i decided the better bet would be a dog crate, modified to allow 2 levels;

P1030382Small.jpg

They are locked in there at night as there is no easy way to allow additional space anymore, due to Biccy's antics.

During the day they have the dog crate + our hallway (14 ft x 3 ft).

I doubt that really helps, but it does explain what we have.

Gray

Okay,

Now i'm not the most experienced bunny owner by any stretch of the imagination and my property is both small and rented, so im limited to what i can do. So we've so far had the following (in chronological order);

Firstly, we had a 4ft hutch. That was it. You'll see it shortly.

Then i bought a P@H 2ft x 2ft 6 panel set to put round said hutch. I can't find any pictures of this for some reason, if i do, i'll ETA.

Then it was this;

projectplaypen1.jpg

projectplaypen3.jpg

projectplaypen2.jpg

For daytime use we modified this to this;

projectplaypen7.jpg

projectplaypen8.jpg

Biscuit then found he was strong and could jump from floor to top of hutch and escape over the sofa. So we introduced a sheet...

projectplaypen9.jpg

Then he learnt he could jump on top of the sheet and clamber across and escape.

So for unsupervised we had to leave him in the 4x4 :(

Then Ginger arrived and i bonded them.

They both then lived in the 4x4 with free-range supervised and a small extension on that 4x4 of 7x2.

Then i decided the better bet would be a dog crate, modified to allow 2 levels;

P1030382Small.jpg

They are locked in there at night as there is no easy way to allow additional space anymore, due to Biccy's antics.

During the day they have the dog crate + our hallway (14 ft x 3 ft).

I doubt that really helps, but it does explain what we have.

Gray

does ur rabbits have the yellow pages in its pen lol i didnt think u could give that to a bunny. :)

do u think id be able to use one with scooter even though he would probably try and eat it. i think it would keep him amused for a while.

put a couple of pellets between random pages or some treat hay.

Biscuit tries to eat it too. I just take it off him for half hour and then put it back if he does, then he goes back to digging/ripping it again.

Should be fine, but suggest you maybe make a new thread if you want to continue this conversation, as to not stray from the OP's reason for the thread :wave:

and also nice pens people so really good examples. i like the one with the dog crate i might be doing some thing similar to that. just gotta wiat a while.

My lops currently have this...
Photo0456-vi.jpg

Plus free range of my room with proofing...
_IGP8725-vi.jpg

And a ramp for getting down off my bed...
Photo0480-vi.jpg

I'm currently thinking of removing the dog crate as they rarely sleep up there now and prefer to sleep next to my bed. It's a bit of a pain to clean inside and around compared to the lionheads room (photos below). It's much easier to get a broom out and sweep than kneel on the floor with dustpan and brush getting in all the nooks and crannies. My only problem at the moment is working out where to store the bits on top.

Lionheads proofed room...

View from doorway...
_IGP1148-vi.jpg

View from ottoman...
_IGP1149-vi.jpg

_IGP0685-vi.jpg

_IGP0565-vi.jpg

I don't like having pens set up personally - I prefer to proof. I figure this way we share the available space. It does mean proofing and, erm, adapting the proofing at times but it works for me. I know it doesn't work for everyone though.

My lops currently have this...
Photo0456-vi.jpg

Plus free range of my room with proofing...
_IGP8725-vi.jpg

And a ramp for getting down off my bed...
Photo0480-vi.jpg

I'm currently thinking of removing the dog crate as they rarely sleep up there now and prefer to sleep next to my bed. It's a bit of a pain to clean inside and around compared to the lionheads room (photos below). It's much easier to get a broom out and sweep than kneel on the floor with dustpan and brush getting in all the nooks and crannies. My only problem at the moment is working out where to store the bits on top.

Lionheads proofed room...

View from doorway...
_IGP1148-vi.jpg

View from ottoman...
_IGP1149-vi.jpg

_IGP0685-vi.jpg

_IGP0565-vi.jpg

I don't like having pens set up personally - I prefer to proof. I figure this way we share the available space. It does mean proofing and, erm, adapting the proofing at times but it works for me. I know it doesn't work for everyone though.

thats really kool wish i could do that be knowing my luck he would destroy everything. im already in trouble because of him and his spraying its stained my moms carpet and shes a bit annoyed about it.

thats really kool wish i could do that be knowing my luck he would destroy everything. im already in trouble because of him and his spraying its stained my moms carpet and shes a bit annoyed about it.

Boiling hot water :wave:

Works perfectly every time for me.

*not on the bunny* :lol::lol:

That's why I have lino - cos my lionheads like marking :roll:

Oh god, i really hope nobody took that i meant that :shock: :lol:

I have lino too, but not in the whole house :) Ginger only likes to wee on the carpet :lol:

Hilary and Basil live under my desk but they have free range of the living room/kitchen (20ft x 20ft approx) and usually the hallway too (7ftx7ft) - combined they make a long, straight run which is where the majority of binkies occur.

They have their food, water and litter tray in the pen (4 panels of an octagonal set - I have the others to create an extension if we have visitors and they have to be confined). There is also a folded towel in there and I quite often find them flopped next to each other on it, despite the fact they have the rest of the room/sofa/under the sofa to snooze in, so I guess it is comfy or just comforting under there.

SDC16346.jpg

I can't remember the dimensions but there is a large cat litter tray in there with the same length in front...Ikea desks are really deep.

I'm in rented accommodation too (so limited to what I can do). I also have 2 flatmates to consider so I try to keep my bunny things nice and tidy around my desk area (hidden behind a 6ft square bookshelf in the living room) so it doesn't look overly animal-ish or messy...despite the fact that one of my flatmates is horrendously messy but still moans about my bunnies :roll:.

Jar with carrot treats and pretty tin with the bun's pellets, nicely disguised on my bookshelf ;)

SDC16337.jpg

And the rest of their stuff is crammed in here...

SDC16338.jpg

Back