• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where do you buy your hay from?

fayem88

Warren Scout
I buy mine from PAH, but i didnt know if there was anywhere perhaps on the internet that you would recommend buying it from, maybe even in bulk?

I get mine from dustfreehay.co.uk. It's quite expensive compared to some, but my bunnies love it. The quality of hay at our P@H is dire, and expensive, so I prefer to buy it online. I buy 10 bags at time and it lasts about 2 months with my 5 buns.
There's also a local garden centre that I go to, which sells lovely hay.

I get my Burns hay from Chemist Direct. It's £2.01 per 1kg bag, and that's a good price in my opinion.

I get mine from dustfreehay.co.uk. It's quite expensive compared to some, but my bunnies love it. The quality of hay at our P@H is dire, and expensive, so I prefer to buy it online. I buy 10 bags at time and it lasts about 2 months with my 5 buns.
There's also a local garden centre that I go to, which sells lovely hay.

I have been buying mine from P@H but realised how expensive it has become especially as I will soon have three rabbits. I ordered a 5 bale pack of stalky hay from dustfreehay.co.uk the other day as I read through the website and was extremely impressed with them. I think this is a much cheaper option but also a much nicer and healthier option for bunnies :)

I buy a bale from a local non livestock selling pet shop and also get nice hay from The Hay Experts.

I buy mine from the local farm usually £3.50 a bale but went to get one yesterday and its gone up to £5.50, which I don't mind still cheap.
If I'm desperate though I have bought meadow hay from QD £1.29 a bag the buns love it.

Thanks for all the comments really helpful, but im now confused! there are so many different types of Hay, which is the best to go for?

I buy bales - mine love this hay way more than any other (apart from oat hay) and it's so much cheaper. Mine would refuse to eat or even poo on P@H hay I reckon. :lol:

I give mine meadow or timothy hay in the morning and redigrass and oat hay at night.
Hope this hasn't added to your confusion:)

For a daily hay you want a good quality, sweet meadow or timothy rich hay - basically farm meadow hay either by the bag or bale, or a timothy hay/timothy rich - this is a sufficient daily hay. Timothy is higher in fibre than meadow hay and the higher the fibre the better, but being slow growing it is more expensive.

Cereal hays such as oat, wheat, barley etc are also high in fibre like timothy but can be quite rich in protein due to the seed heads present, they make a good treat hay.

Alfalfa and high calcium legume hays should only be fed to buns under the age of 6 months.

Pure dried grass/readigrass is a great treat hay but again high in calcium so needs to be fed more sparingly, it's also very dehydrated so bun will drink more if fed this hay.

Personally, I prefer to pay the extra for a timothy rich farm hay but my buns don't have any pellets so for me it is important to feed a good quality hay with a variety of grasses in it and high in fibre. I also add in cereal hays and readigrass as treat hay.
I get my daily hay from here http://www.willowwarren.co.uk/

We buy a bale from a farm - but it's definitely getting harder to get hold of at the moment. We bought a large wheeliebin off the internet to store it in.

Yep, it's confusing.
Jenson has P@H timothy hay which looks rubbish but he will try to get out of the bag himself if I'm not quick enough!
He also has Excel herbage but my current bag is cut too short and he doesn't like it that short so I have some medow hay from a garden centre near my parents which doesn't help the rest of the time.

Yes, likely it's expensive but he's a single bunny for the time being and it's easy because I don't have room to store a bale (live in a flat). I would prefer to get stuff delivered but I can't have anything delivered to work which means I have to rely on others (friends and neighbours) and I'm never confident about delivery drivers keeping it dry.

Back