• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Carlo has a dirty Bottom any help I would be grateful

Shellypops

Wise Old Thumper
Since I have had Carlo I have struggled to keep his bottom as clean as Bobby's is.

I just wondered what I am doing wrong as he has very few Excel Pelletts and spring greens, herbs and he is ALWAYS eating hay!

Yesterday he was looking guilty and had a brown nose, he was tring to eat some soft poop, and he ran away almost as if he felt guilty.

Should I try SS again, I used to feed but I am stuggling to get the large bags of it! Like I do with the Excel:cry:

He is fine within himself, but I can't help wondering if I change something then it would help:?

Any advise welcomed:wave:

I'm definitely not an expert but I found that excel was too rich for Archies stomach and he often had increased uneaten soft poos, nothing major but enough for me to notice.

With SS he no longer has these but I'm considering swapping from SS to something else because they're fur isn't as nice and soft as it is on Excel. :?

I think there is something in the air at the moment as both Lola and SiDney had poo bots on friday, They were fine within them selves just as naughty as ever and they havent had anything different to eat - i decided to cut out all pellets and just feed fresh greens/herbs and so far they seen back to normal, Its very odd and very worrying at the same time.:wave:

I'm definitely not an expert but I found that excel was too rich for Archies stomach and he often had increased uneaten soft poos, nothing major but enough for me to notice.

With SS he no longer has these but I'm considering swapping from SS to something else because they're fur isn't as nice and soft as it is on Excel. :?

I found that thei condition went down a bit as well when I used to feed! Maybe I should try a different pellett:?

Bobby is fine, maybe a bit on the porky side, so cutting down will be a plus for her anyway:)

It just seems to have got so much worse since the holidays. He is a mucky bun anyway, he will not be litter trained either, have tried everything

Mini has a tendency towards it. We've never tried Excel but have always used SS pellets. I do find she tends to get a bit of mess on her when she's moulting. I've stopped spring greens too since I read that these can cause it. She also very rarely gets any fruit or sweet veg as I find too much of this causes it too.

I've been having a nightmare time with Ozzie and his sticky bum recently-not helped by the fact he's a lionhead as well :mrgreen: I've cut out all treats and tried to reduce pellets but I think yet another cleaning job is in store for me tonight :roll:

Murphy has had sticky bottom problems ever since we rescued him. We changed him from excell to A&P and that has helped alleviate the problem a bit, but he still leaves uneaten special poos around and has to be checked all the time to make sure he is clean. Not sure what the solution is, maybe if they have had problems for a long time, its difficult to rectify??

Twinkle has a mucky bum and had it all her life. With the help of Prettylupin and Thumps Twinkle is now on a hay only diet and this has helped her a lot. My vet says this is completely ok to feed hay only all the time.

Maybe try this for a while? Check my thread in health?

Sorry to butt in, but do they lose weight on hay only diet? I was considering this but was worried that Murphy would lose weight, which he can't afford to do, also he is kept outside, which makes him use up more energy.

My lops lost weight on a hay only diet but I strongly believe this was because they had mites at the time. Since getting their mites sorted they have put on weight even though I've reduced their pellets.

Sorry to butt in, but do they lose weight on hay only diet? I was considering this but was worried that Murphy would lose weight, which he can't afford to do, also he is kept outside, which makes him use up more energy.

Twinkle has actually gone from 1.7kg to 1.91kg on hay only. Twinlkle is an outside bunny too.

Since I have had Carlo I have struggled to keep his bottom as clean as Bobby's is.

I just wondered what I am doing wrong as he has very few Excel Pelletts and spring greens, herbs and he is ALWAYS eating hay!

Yesterday he was looking guilty and had a brown nose, he was tring to eat some soft poop, and he ran away almost as if he felt guilty.

Should I try SS again, I used to feed but I am stuggling to get the large bags of it! Like I do with the Excel:cry:

He is fine within himself, but I can't help wondering if I change something then it would help:?

Any advise welcomed:wave:

:wave:Im no expert but Indiana sufferedd with a messy bum...and sometimes Arrabella on Excel....Ive not tried SS yet - I put them on a hay only diet until they had no extra ceacs...then gradually strated changing over from Excel to Oxbow Bunny Basics/T...I know its abit more money, but you can get massive bags that last for ages....and as its Timothy hay based it seems to help instead of the alfalfa hay based pellets.
Ive found that both their caecs have improved loads...and have now just used the excel pellets I have left to use in their treat ball...so they hardly get any. I will probably change those to SS after a while just so they can have an option in case I cant get the oxbow one for some reason as its posted to me.
Their weight seems fine & their coats shiny...I also give driede hersb now its winter....but if they have extra messy bums I would cut out greens until they can adjust and get back to normal....just hay and lots of it!

Hope this helps your little one...its so not nice for them...Im not hugely experienced but this helped my bunnies!:wave:

Louie was prone to a mucky bum too. Does Carlo have any commercial treats?

I cut out treats and pellets and no more mucky bum, just beautiful large perfectly formed poops :D

Louie was prone to a mucky bum too. Does Carlo have any commercial treats?

I cut out treats and pellets and no more mucky bum, just beautiful large perfectly formed poops :D

No he doesn't have any commercial treats I will just give him some herbs a treat usually.

I think the pelletts are the problem :?

Hi guys just an update, I have cut right back on his pelletts and they are both on SS rather than Excell now:)

I just wanted to clarify I never get any excess special poops, its just his actual bottom that is dirty, it seems to have stained him now, as he is white, I have also stopped spring greens for him also, I just feed Bob's them seperatley as she loves them so much.

I have a feeling he is just a dirty boy :?
I'm thinking it may even be urine stains I can't get them off now :cry:

Hi sweetie :wave: Not seen ya on here in a while, you been ok?
Dont worry aboit the staining, it will disappear after a couple of moults :)
As long as there are no runny poos or excess caecotrophs I wouldnt worry.
Could he be dribbling urine? It might be worth getting your vet to check his bladder etc is ok if you think this might be happening xxx

Hi sweetie :wave: Not seen ya on here in a while, you been ok?
Dont worry aboit the staining, it will disappear after a couple of moults :)
As long as there are no runny poos or excess caecotrophs I wouldnt worry.
Could he be dribbling urine? It might be worth getting your vet to check his bladder etc is ok if you think this might be happening xxx

Hi they are due at the vets for VHD at the end of the month so will ask. He is very bright and not poorly at all, but you know I do worry!

I have been fine hun, have broken my keyboard at home, so I can't type at the mo, I just lurk and read locked threads and stuff :lol:

Work is mega mega busy so I'm not on too much.. am getting a new keyboard at the end of the month so will be back properly soon :love:

Back