• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Critical care - can you give too much?

martlou

Warren Veteran
Hi, you might have seen my other thread about Teddy not eating properly and our trip to the vet. She gave us critical care to syringe feed every 2 hours 'as much as he'll take'. We gave him 10ml when he got back, but is it possible to give him too much? Will he just stop swallowing when he's had enough? He's seems to be quieter :(:(, I'm really worried :(:(

If it is not moving through then i would say yes ..

Is he pooing at all?

when im syringe feeding i always syringe it more watery than suggested to help move it through .. i also syringe fresh pinapple juice diluted in the water as this sometimes helps things move .

Sending loads and loads of vibes to little Ted .. :( :(...I am realy hoping he picks up quickly .

im off to bed now but i will be checking in the morning ...hopefully for good news :?

How is Teddy this morning?

The problem with too much syringe feeding is that the bun will feel full and not want to eat on their own....it's hard to judge sometimes.

Thanks Angie, this is what I was worried about as well. Phoned vets again last night to check and (I think it was the nurse) said as he's not impacted it would be ok. It became immaterial anyway as he stopped swallowing it. He's picked up a bit this morning, I've put the full details on the other thread. Our main vet is off at the moment but we're going to speak to him about anything we can do to help stop this occurring again as it's only 7 weeks since it happened last time when we were worming them :(

Back