• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

does my bunny waste count as "green waste?"

Candiflare

Mama Doe
I need to go to the recycling centre next week because our winter composting is not keeping up with the amount of bunny waste I have. It says that it takes "green waste" and "garden waste" and my bunny waste is just poos, wees, newspaper and hay. Which category does that go in?

I need to go to the recycling centre next week because our winter composting is not keeping up with the amount of bunny waste I have. It says that it takes "green waste" and "garden waste" and my bunny waste is just poos, wees, newspaper and hay. Which category does that go in?

My local tip/recycling centre wont accept it at all due to health and safety :roll: I just tell them i have general waste in any bags I take.

Yep, most places won't accept animal waste and rabbit gets lumped in the same category as cat/dog even though its great compost. If you've got an allotment near you they may be very happy to take it.

I think it depends on what your certain council rules are. I always put bunny waste and hay in the compost bin and they always take it away with no qualms :)

Our local council wont let it go in garden waste or recycling, I usually sneak a bit in anyway and cover it up :oops:

Councils dont take cat, dog poo because it takes time to break down. Rabbit poo is different in that its natural compost & doesnt need time to break down. Id separate the newspaper from the waste & the rest can be put in the green bin.

In my garden waste bin I am allowed to put straw and hay, but not allowed to empty the poopy corner into there hehe.. The lady on the phone said it's ok if the odd bit of poop or wet newspaper etc sneaks in that it's ok.

My local council wont take it as green waste - i have to put it into normal general waste. :roll:

Oh GOD :( :cry:

I now have about 20 bin bags full of the bun's waste which need to go from outside our backdoor and my OH will kill me if it's not gone by next week...

Better start asking around...

Our council won't take bunny poo as garden waste. :(

I think it depends on what they do with the waste once it's collected - if it's not heat treated, then you can't put any kind of animal waste in...... which is a shame as I don't really have much 'normal' rubbish, just bags of bunny hay and poo. :(

I now have about 20 bin bags full of the bun's waste which need to go from outside our backdoor and my OH will kill me if it's not gone by next week...

You would be best to check as it seems some places accept it. I put mine in black bin bags and tell them its general waste (they ask at ours before thay let you through) I specificity told them I had rabbit waste once and got turned away. I feel bad but if I have to much it cant go into my bin that only gets emptied twice a month!

The suggestion about asking allotment holders is a good one although not many allotment people will be on their allotments at this time of the year so if you need to get rid quick it might not be so good.

Can you bung one or two outside each neighbours? :lol::lol::lol:

:shock:Candiflare I am in Oxfordshire also, they told me on the phone it's ok to put it in the black bin, just not the litter trays.. Do you have the same as us - Black Bin, Grey Bin, Food Bin, Recycle Boxes?

ETA Sorry, just realised you said it was a lot of newspaper too... And I don't suppose you fancy sorting through the bags :shock::oops::shock:

Last edited:
Yes I put mine in the green waste. If you go onto West Oxfordshire District Council website it specifically says rabbit waste for green waste. I need to go to the tip though as they canceled a collection because of the snow so nothing until the 17th now. They compost the green waste for local farms so good recycling.

Last edited:
Just had a look at my local councils website because I've been wondering this too and it says ...

Why can't I put vegetable peelings in my green bin?

The contents of the green bins collected go to on-farm composting schemes and due to legislation governing what can be spread on land , organic materials such as peeling that have come from kitchens cannot go into the green bins as there is a risk that they may have been in contact with animal or animal-by products.

:? I don't really understand that, am I being stupid?

I have a rabbit / guinea pig / hamster what can I do with its bedding?

All pet bedding must go in the grey bin.
:roll: The grey bin doesn't even hold the rubbish that my family of four hoomins produce, let alone four rabbits and two guineas as well!

I've just seen on our local recycling site that it takes rabbit waste as garden waste! Thank Gowd! There we go..

What a nightmare for people in places that won't take it though...

Thanks Emma

Just a bit more info for you if you are going to the tip what to do with it when you get there.

"Animal and pet waste
Only animal waste and bedding from the keeping of domestic animals is accepted at Waste Recycling Centres. Waste can be placed loose in the container for green waste at Household Waste Recycling Centres, where it will be taken for composting. Please do not place plastic bags in the green waste container. Alternatively householders are encouraged to compost their pet bedding at home. For further information about composting please contact the waste management group on 08450 504550.

Householders who wish to bring bagged animal and pet bedding to site, and do not wish to turn it out into the green container, please place the bagged waste in the landfill container for disposal.

Dog faeces and waste from livestock, breeding, boarding, stabling or exhibiting of animals is not accepted"

I've just been researching as I have been having a nightmare with bunny waste because of cancelled collections and it says from February you can order another bin or get a bigger :)

Back