• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wild rabbit with myxi

jenzel5

Mama Doe
I saw a rabbit in the road this morning. I slowed down and I noticed it had Myxi and was disorientated. I had just finished my night shift at the vets so I drove down the road and just around the corner to park my car and phone the vets. I agreed to get the rabbit and take it to be put to sleep as I couldn't leave it! I know it sounds really harsh, but I didn't want to touch it and put my rabbits at risk by putting it in my car but I couldn't leave it suffering in the cold and rain. I then went back to try and catch the rabbit but couldn't find it anywhere. I walked around, couldn't see it. I then drove around again, still didn't see it! :cry::cry:
I'm sorry I couldn't help you bunny and make sure you went quietly and peacefully but you must have hidden somewhere and I could not find you. I really hope that you go quickly so you do not suffer greatly with this horrible disease. RIP wild bunny! :(:(:(

It has actually really upset me. Poor thing!
I know it sounds so horrible but I wanted to run over it to end the suffering but obviously couldn't. :cry::cry: I couldn't believe it completely disappeared in a few mins.

Please don't be upset. I was told by a rabbit expert that a lot of wild rabbits get myxi and survive to get a great immunity. Although they don't have vaccinations if their mum had an immunity from surviving the virus then she would have passed that onto her kits in her milk.

All the adult rabbits at my university have had myxi and survived it. Every year the virus comes back and obviously some die but the rest grow stronger. I wanted her to look at a rabbit who I thought was quite far gone but she said even in these stages they can still pull through so she would never put the rabbit down.

Back