• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poo Pics - White thing (not a worm!)

shay

Warren Scout
Can anyone help explain what this white thing is? It's on Barnaby's poo and at first I thought maybe an egg case, but my Uncle has looked under his microscope and dissected it and has no idea what it is. (but if I find a worm can he have it :shock:)

It's a jelly-like consistency and sticky and opaque in colour. Both Barnaby and Pebbles were Panacur'd a couple of weeks ago and since then, these have appeared.

Sorry the pics aren't that great and that is a tiny piece of hay to the right-hand side.

DSCF0227.jpg

DSCF0228.jpg

I would suspect tape worm segment (Panacur won't solve that though but I believe can damage the worm- just not kill it).

Last edited:
It sounds like that poor little boy is full of wormies :roll:

Can I get something from the vets for him?

If its worms then the vets should be able to give you something for it, but of course they will need to see him, maybe take tests etc :wave:

Should be fun trying to get both of them in the carrier then :lol: I've kept the poo in a plastic bag so will take that too.

If your vet decides it is a tapeworm, then both will need two injections- ten days apart, so you get to do it twice. Good luck!

Pea and Pod produce these every so often (looking EXACTLY like your photo). I thought they were worms or something to do with worms so I took them to my very bunny-savvy vet. He sent them to the lab who dissected them and concluded that it was 'vegetable matter'. But I'd be interested to know if your vet concludes differently as I've always had my doubts :?. Please keep us informed.

If they have been panacured and did have worms then you would expect to see dead/dying worms in their poo. Most worms tend to be a lot smaller than this specimen though. You may need to look into another worming. How many days were they dosed for that couple of weeks back?

Helen xx

17 :shock::shock: blimey! Thanks for the info.

My vet had never used it in rabbits before so had to check it all out prior to doing it. With 17 we provided quite a good indication of what the injection did. the only side effect I saw was increased drinking for a day or two after the jab. No other side effects at all in mine, thankfully.

Also, fenbendazole only kills small parasites, whereas a tapeworm (if it is that) if bigger and wouldn't be killed, but could be damaged by the treatment.

Honey had this when I first got her. Vet said they were worms, and she had a 28 day course of Panacur as a precautionary treatment in case of ec.

How long was the Panacur treatment for? And if these have appeared after the treatment, then could these not be the dead worms being excreted?

Honey had this when I first got her. Vet said they were worms, and she had a 28 day course of Panacur as a precautionary treatment in case of ec.

How long was the Panacur treatment for? And if these have appeared after the treatment, then could these not be the dead worms being excreted?

I'm unsure of all the types of worms, but they are definitely not pinworms, which fenbendazole does kill. They come out brown.

Pea and Pod produce these every so often (looking EXACTLY like your photo). I thought they were worms or something to do with worms so I took them to my very bunny-savvy vet. He sent them to the lab who dissected them and concluded that it was 'vegetable matter'. But I'd be interested to know if your vet concludes differently as I've always had my doubts :?. Please keep us informed.

just thought id say what lovely names :love: mine dont match atall :lol:

Are these not the same http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=246200

Sorry, I'm not meaning to argue, just wanting to gain more knowledge myself so I can help my buns more :wave:

Don't worry, I didn't think you were arguing.

No, they are not the same. Pinworms are about 10mm long and very long and thin and somewhat translucent. They come 'en masse' and you can see them wriggling and moving.

The other things just stick to the poo and don't move, whatever they may be.

Clearly I spend too much time examining wormy rabbit poo and wormy rabbits. :lol:

Don't worry, I didn't think you were arguing.

No, they are not the same. Pinworms are about 10mm long and very long and thin and somewhat translucent. They come 'en masse' and you can see them wriggling and moving.

The other things just stick to the poo and don't move, whatever they may be.

Clearly I spend too much time examining wormy rabbit poo and wormy rabbits. :lol:

Thanks for clarifying :wave:.

Wasn't pinworms that Honey had then as they weren't wriggling at all.

Must have been a happy coincidence that it cleared up after taking the Panacur for a short time.

Back