• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I think the cats had a better NYE than I did!

Loosy

Warren Veteran
Got the catnip out yesterday. I noticed Charlie was seeming interested in a catnip toy and it hasn't effected him before, so I thought I'd get the packet of dried catnip out to see. He had a sniff, then Napoleon came up to me, grabbed the packet and spilled it all over the floor :shock::shock::lol::lol:

They had a great time, anyways. My sister got a video camera for Christmas and has been videoing EVERYthing and YouTubing it. I don't know what on earth that music is, so you might want to turn your speakers down :shock:

Youtube!

PS. Napoleon is fat but not that fat! Either the video has been squished, or even cats aren't exempt from the curse of the camera :shock:

Ha ha love it, I really must get some for my cats, it's been a while since I've seen them all rolling round off their heads on catnip!!

:love::love:

Ha ha love it, I really must get some for my cats, it's been a while since I've seen them all rolling round off their heads on catnip!!

:love::love:

Hehe, I don't give it to mine very often because it makes Napoleon quite aggressive (he had a good chomp of my finger yesterday!) but it is fun to watch occasionally :lol::lol:

Jenova, it's the smell that makes them loopy. I don't think it's entirely known how it works, but it might possibly mimic some sort of cat pheromone? It causes an... interesting reaction, anyways :lol:

:lol::lol:

Mine aren't interested in catnip toys, or catnip itself, and those catnip bubbles, well. I was given the "look" when I got those :lol: But the catnip drop treats send them bonkers! It's when their pupils dilate that I know I'm risking my fingertips :lol:

My cats are catnip addicts! They go crazy with it then when the effects of it have worn off they get up and walk off like nothing happened!

It's genetic whether cats like catnip or not, about 15% of cats are born without the gene that responds to catnip so it has no effect on them.

These are the best catnip toys I've found, but they make loads of mess when they split :roll::lol: Think were on banana number 6 now!!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PAIR-100-COSM...4?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Cats&hash=item1c18341e46

I always say catnip is hallucinogenic drugs for cats :lol: OriginalFlintstone, that's really interesting! My neighbours cat who I cat-sit regularly isn't affected by catnip at all, he doesn't bother with it! But he is twenty years old now :lol:

Loosy, that video is so cute :lol: :love::love::love:

My cats are catnip addicts! They go crazy with it then when the effects of it have worn off they get up and walk off like nothing happened!

It's genetic whether cats like catnip or not, about 15% of cats are born without the gene that responds to catnip so it has no effect on them.

These are the best catnip toys I've found, but they make loads of mess when they split :roll::lol: Think were on banana number 6 now!!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PAIR-100-COSM...4?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Cats&hash=item1c18341e46

Ooh, might have to buy some of them! It's hard to find toys my cats will play with. They like catnip toys but I think the smell in most of them wears off quite quickly.
I always heard that it was 50/50 whether cats were affected or not. I thought that was a bit odd because all the cats I've ever owned were affected. 15% sounds like a better number!
It's interesting that your neighbours cat isn't affected Janak. I think it's also supposed to have something to do with age? So very young kittens and older cats aren't affected. Charlie is nearly 9 months old and this was the first time I'd seen him react to catnip.

Last edited:
It's interesting that your neighbours cat isn't affected Janak. I think it's also supposed to have something to do with age? So very young kittens and older cat's aren't affected. Charlie is nearly 9 months old and this was the first time I'd seen him react to catnip.

That's interesting! I've got 3 cats, the older two are 10 and the other is now 3, but she's only started to get affected by the cat nip in the last year or so. Before that she wouldn't even eat the catnip treats, and this little kitty eats everything. Her philosophy is, if its not in your mouth it's worth a shot!

One of mine doesn't respond to catnip but she goes crazy for honeysuckle, which is an alternative product in some cat toys :)

Back