• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Edible Garden

hurricanhoney

Wise Old Thumper
Anybody else started planning their garden.

I have just ordered my seed for the bunnies edible garden. Calundula, voilets, nasturiums and chamomile. Have still got quite a few herb seeds from last year. The calundula apparently need to be sown in January :shock:

I bought packets of Calendula & Nasturtium seeds when they were 75% off at the end of last season :lol:

I never plant mine that early - usually about march and they come up just fine.

I always get a bit worried that I might plant the wrong thing :shock: I'm going to do a herb garden for the bunnies this year. Was planning it last year but got way-laid with the allotment. Dad's allocated part of the garden for me *preens*

I would love to plant things for the bunnies to eat as my garden is huuuuge but I wouldn't have a clue what to plant and when :(

I would love to plant things for the bunnies to eat as my garden is huuuuge but I wouldn't have a clue what to plant and when :(

Why not start with just one plant and see how you go?

Calendula (a large type of marigold) are easy to grow and are cheap too. The seed packets will give you guide times for growing. You can start them very early in seed trays in a green house or grow them directly in the ground.

Bunnies love to eat the flowers and the leaves and the stalks, and you can dry the flowers, leaves and stalks for feeding over winter.

Chamomile is really easy too and the bunnies love it :)

Which chamomile, cos isn't there two? Chamomile lawn and flowers? I guess the flowers?

Ooooh planning the bunny garden bed now - lots of herbs and chamomile and calendula :thumb: They can have lavender too can't they? And then I'll do dandelion and plantain in tubs again. :D

Which chamomile, cos isn't there two? Chamomile lawn and flowers? I guess the flowers?

Ooooh planning the bunny garden bed now - lots of herbs and chamomile and calendula :thumb: They can have lavender too can't they? And then I'll do dandelion and plantain in tubs again. :D

Lavenders fine my lot love it. I use chamomile flowers not lawn. It grew really well last year planning on growing more this year. I had quite a selection of herbs last year, mint was a particular favourite in tubs, of course, so it don't spread.

Back