• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit boarders in/around York?

Hi there,

Happy New Year to everyone. :wave:

I'm on the lookout for good rabbit boarders in/around the York area....just thinking ahead to summer holiday time. Don't mind traveling a short distance but not so far that it stresses the bun or is impractical.

Would be very grateful for suggestions/weblinks.

Thanks!
:)

Thanks for the suggestion :)

We have used this place recently and have mixed feelings...so was wondering if any forum members had experience (good and bad) of other places in/around York.

:wave:

Hope someone else can suggest somewhere for you :wave:

I notice your a new bunny mum :)

When I first got my bun (about 8 months ago) I thought I new a lot about them but coming on here really opened my eyes and made me realise just how little i actually knew. It's really fascinating learning about them and I am still learning now.

Hope you find this forum useful and welcome :wave:

Thank you :)

Gosh, yes - a steep learning curve! Got our buns in August, and lost one after 10 days :cry: which was awful. The other bun is off for neutering next week and then bonding with a lady bun at a rabbit rescue in Bradford...fingers crossed that all works out.

This forum is great - I have learned so much, but learning more each day...just going through the hormonal boy bunny bit at the mo :)
It's great to have so much knowledge and experience available and people so willing to help and advise.

Thank you :)

Gosh, yes - a steep learning curve! Got our buns in August, and lost one after 10 days :cry: which was awful. The other bun is off for neutering next week and then bonding with a lady bun at a rabbit rescue in Bradford...fingers crossed that all works out.

This forum is great - I have learned so much, but learning more each day...just going through the hormonal boy bunny bit at the mo :)It's great to have so much knowledge and experience available and people so willing to help and advise.

We went through that stage a few weeks ago! Bernard was neutered but it took a couple of weeks for his hormones to then calm down. We have bonded him with a bun from the RSPCA in York and they are so happy together! We are picking up another bun from Barnsley next week and hoping to bond them as a trio :roll: (we must be mad :lol:)

Did you find out what happened to your bun :( poor thing and poor you that must have been awful

Our bun, Jeff, has taken a shine to my teenage daughter and courted her with circling and honking yesterday...all very cute till he sprayed her :lol:

Really pleased your bonding went well, and good luck for the next one!
Would love any tips on neutering after-care if you have time...

Did you find out what happened to your bun :( poor thing and poor you that must have been awful

We're not sure, but the vet thought it was EC....it struck in the night so we didn't see anything wrong until breakfast time...fine the night before, flaked out in spasms the next day. The vet thought it best to have him PTS.
Poor little guy.
:cry:

Our bun, Jeff, has taken a shine to my teenage daughter and courted her with circling and honking yesterday...all very cute till he sprayed her :lol:

Really pleased your bonding went well, and good luck for the next one!
Would love any tips on neutering after-care if you have time...

We removed everything from bernards cage and replaced it with news paper and blankets. He is usually free range but we locked him in for the night to stop him from over stretching and damaging the stitches.

We gave him a bowl of water as well as his usual water bottle so that he could lay down and sip instead of having to make an effort with his bottle.

When bernard came home he was so drousy from the GA that he collapsed in his cage and just rested for hours so try to do as much as you can to keep the him comfortable and peaceful.

try to keep hay in a rack rather than spread on the cage floor so that he is not laid on prickles.

The wound will be fairly small as it isn't a massive operation for boys but you need to keep an eye on it if you can and make sure it doens't weep. He will probably attempt to itch it and bite it and it will be irritating so try to prevent this as much as you can but don't be too hard on him if he is just cleaning around the wound.

Hope this helps :wave:

(boys bounce back really quickly)

ETA: try not to use saw dust/wood shavings as it will irritate the wound. If you need to use it for his litter tray then it should be fine but try to use as little as possible

Last edited:
Thanks! That is a big help.
How long did you keep Bernard in his cage - was it just overnight?
Jeff is an outdoor bun, so would usually be outside nestling in straw and hay in his hutch....so I guess we'll have to modify that a bit. We'll bring him indoors in a cage for a night/couple of nights but am not sure what to bed him on outdoors if the temperature drops again....he has a snugglesafe, but would probably hump/eat a blanket if we put that in with him :)

Thanks! That is a big help.
How long did you keep Bernard in his cage - was it just overnight?
Jeff is an outdoor bun, so would usually be outside nestling in straw and hay in his hutch....so I guess we'll have to modify that a bit. We'll bring him indoors in a cage for a night/couple of nights but am not sure what to bed him on outdoors if the temperature drops again....he has a snugglesafe, but would probably hump/eat a blanket if we put that in with him :)

I would keep him inside for a couple of nights like you say and just see how he goes.
Bernard was itching to get out of his cage by the morning and we slept in the living room with him to keep an eye on him over night. he was chewing the bars in the morning so we let him out in the lounge but he was still a little tired and wasn't up to doing much but got frustrated if we put the cage back down.

I think it depends on how quickly your bun recovers as to when you should take him back outside but i think you are right to keep him in for at least two nights.

I think the snuggle safe would be a good idea, plenty of blankets (although there is a high chance they may be wee'd on) and news paper then possibly give him his usual bedding back once his wound seems to be healing well. If you have any hutch covers then pop them on too as they need to be kept as warm as possible after the op. (don't use the heat pads as after GA buns lay on them but don;t have the energy to get back up when it becomes too hot for them)

I would speak to your vet aswell and see what they suggest (although a lot of them aren't always bunny savvy) which surgery do you use?

Thanks for that....really appreciate your advice.

We use the Tower/Abbeyfields practice....usually go to Fulford for routine stuff as it's closest, but the rabbit savvy vet (Jo) is based at the Abbeyfields surgery in Clarence Street, so that's where Jeff's being neutered. Jo was really helpful recently showing me how to trim claws etc. Good to have found her.

Thanks for that....really appreciate your advice.

We use the Tower/Abbeyfields practice....usually go to Fulford for routine stuff as it's closest, but the rabbit savvy vet (Jo) is based at the Abbeyfields surgery in Clarence Street, so that's where Jeff's being neutered. Jo was really helpful recently showing me how to trim claws etc. Good to have found her.

We use the same ones ;) have never spoken to Jon but have heard of her as the other vets have advised me that she is rabbit savvy. We use the one on fulford road everytime, really like the vets and last time I went for a chat for some advise i was with the vet for about 30 mins and they didn't charge me for it.

We use the same ones ;) have never spoken to Jon but have heard of her as the other vets have advised me that she is rabbit savvy. We use the one on fulford road everytime, really like the vets and last time I went for a chat for some advise i was with the vet for about 30 mins and they didn't charge me for it.

They're great, aren't they? I had a similar thing with Jo when I went to ask her how to show me how to trim Jeff's nails....gave me all the time in the world and didn't charge a penny - said his claws didn't really need doing, so she wouldn't charge and was happy to help/advise any time.

Very happy with the Fulford vets too - that's where little Stan was PTS....the vet couldn't have been more gentle and caring (of me and Stan!)

Back