• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Screaming Stumpy

jackiestone

Warren Veteran
:( Poor Stumpy my giant was frightened of my hubby drilling and let out an awful high pitched scream :cry::cry: He is currently sat under the table whilst I am talking to him to reassure him that everything is ok,was quite upsetting,poor big Stumpy :cry:

Can you move him as far away from the drilling as possible ? Whilst the scream may have been fear induced it may also have been due to pain. Having no outer ears, Stumpy may have ultra sensitive ear drums :cry:

Poor thing :(

Hope he calms down soon, but keep an eye on him that he keeps eating - Blackie's first bout of stasis earlier in the year was due, we think, to a sudden loud noise that really frightened him :(

yes he is sat with me,hubby is not going to do anymore drilling today :cry: I am watching stumpy and shall stay with him to make sure he is ok,he is lying on my foot with his head under the table,everything is quiet :)

You might need to make sure that he hasn't perforated his ear drum by taking him to the vet. A sudden and very loud noise can do this. Hopefully it was just fear related.

My two have got so used to the drilling and building work here that they are totally unfazed by it now.

Poor thing :(

Hope he calms down soon, but keep an eye on him that he keeps eating - Blackie's first bout of stasis earlier in the year was due, we think, to a sudden loud noise that really frightened him :(

We think it's sudden noises and movements that frighten Smudge into stasis too. :(

I'd move him as far away as possible if it were me. Maybe into a carrier covered with a towel?

My bun's ear drum was perforated by noise, he screamed & didnt know what to do with himself.
We were in the back bedroom with good double glazed windows closed & the noise came from road works 25' to the front of the house.
Immediate pain relief with metacam thanks to Hoppit's advice, & trip to the vet next morning only just averted stasis.

I'm very suspicious of a perforated ear drum because your rabbit screamed. That's very rare behaviour.

Where his ears were the skin and fur had healed over so they are sealed up,could the ear drum have still perforated,he is running about and eating,seems very bright,I shall keep a close eye on him and will see a vet tomorrow if need be as they are open until 1pm tomorrow :love:

I hope Stumpy is OK - running about and eating sound like he has recovered from his fright, poor lad. :wave:

Where his ears were the skin and fur had healed over so they are sealed up,could the ear drum have still perforated,he is running about and eating,seems very bright,I shall keep a close eye on him and will see a vet tomorrow if need be as they are open until 1pm tomorrow :love:

:oops: If there's no ear hole we can't look down to see the drum & whether it's perforated or not.

Please forgive me for being off topic. For my betterment, please can you tell me how the wax gets out of a sealed ear? I'm probably being rather stupid. :oops:
I can only say that my bun has a lop ear on the right when he's indoors, & it was his lop eared side which perforated. I was more than surprised because a lop ear should have acted like an ear muff.

Oh Gosh I am the one thats being a bit thick :oops: I have no idea what happens to the wax :oops: It is sealed up,the skin just grew over it and fur grew over that :oops: The vet has checked him at vaccinations and when he was neutered and microchipped :) He is quite happy at the moment sat under the dining table :love::love::love::love:

Oh Gosh I am the one thats being a bit thick :oops: I have no idea what happens to the wax :oops: It is sealed up,the skin just grew over it and fur grew over that :oops: The vet has checked him at vaccinations and when he was neutered and microchipped :) He is quite happy at the moment sat under the dining table :love::love::love::love:

Thank you for such a quick reply. Sorry I ask awkward questions. I'm also one for saying "don't interfere when all is going well"!!!:lol:

My bun wasn't at all happy for the rest of the day & several weeks after his perforation. He couldn't relax. When he lay down it was in a postion for a quick sprint to safety, & he'd start to run at the slightest click eg. neighbour opening a window. :(

Finger's crossed all will be well - it's sounding good.

Back