• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Concerned for my rabbit- U/D STILL NOT 100%

fayem88

Warren Scout
Hi

In need of a little advice as im a bit unsure of what to do. My rabbit seems to have gone off his food, and seems to be lying down a lot more. It started last night, as yesterday morning he was fine and ate all his pellets! He didnt want to go back in the cage (i have 2 house rabbits and they go in the cage over night) and refused to eat the kale we give him. We tried tempting him with nuggets and biscuits too which he refused both of and hes a very greedy rabbit so this is very out of character! All he wanted to do was lie down behind a chair, and he has done the same this morning- not touched his pellets and lying down again!
Please help?!

Last edited:
Totally agree, it sounds like your bunny isn't very well at all and needs to see a vet asap, please don't leave it and think he will get better on his own, he really does need vet treatment

Good luck and let us know how you get on with him

Thanks, am trying to get hold of vets but not sure if they are open today as its new years day, will try again in an hour or so. Does anyone have an idea of what it could be? He seems to be drinking fine and when he is hopping around he seems to be ok.

With these symptoms your rabbit really needs to see a vet as soon as possible.
Once a rabbit stops eating their guts start to slow down and in a short space of time can stop altogether, which will be fatal. They do not recover with the "watch and wait" scenario as they need pain killers and gut stimulants to get their guts moving again.
Are you able to get to a vets this morning?

it could be gut stasis, or gas, or even teeth hurting. the vet will beable to check him over and see. he will need meds though to get the gut moving, and pain relief aswell. i hope you can get to the vets.

What part of the country are you in?, do your vets run an out of hours service?

Im in Poole, just spoke to the emergency vet, she said she thinks our vets is open after 10 so going to try again in a minute otherwise to take him up to them. I have tried to tempt him with broccoli and that didnt work, so i tried a carrot stick biscuit sweet thing and he ate that :roll:

Good luck at the vets. Sounds like he will need a gut stimulant to really get things moving again.

Thanks, have to go to the emergency vets as the usual one is closed, i will be keeping my fingers crossed !!

Thanks guys! just got back from the vet, she said there is something in his large intestine. she said its good that its passed through the small but its now stopped in the large so she moved it an inch, gave him some pain killers and gut stimulant and ive been told that if hes not better in 24hrs to take him back. Does anyone know a good way to puree fruit as they have given me some siringes to give puree fruit/baby food if hes refusing to eat?!

Back