• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch Accessories

Alicia

Mama Doe
Me again asking more questions, sorry! I'm not getting my rabbit until April but I want to go rabbit shopping tommorow (if the pet shops open) and I've just realized I don't really know what to get. I'm planning to get:
A Litter Tray
Food Bowl
A few toys for him/her

I have guinea-pigs so I have bedding and hay already which I buy more of regularly because I run out of it, and I'll get straw nearer the time. I am buying the hutch nearer the time too, so it's only really the little things for in the hutch that I need to buy. I was going to buy them a hut or two as well, can anyone recommend a good hut for inside their hutch? The pet shop near me only sells igloos/huts that are big enough for guinea-pigs.
Also, I've noticed some people use water bowls and other people use water bottles, which do you think is best? Or should I buy both?

Is there anything else you think I should get?
Sorry for so many questions

Tunnels for the run, bunnies love tunnels!

When mine were outside I had a cat carrier in there stuffed with hay as they liked sitting in there/on top of there.

A small childs chair/stool as bunnies like to sit on and under them.

Also expensive toys aren't always a must as buns are just as happy with cardboard. A toilet roll stuffed with hay seems to be a favourite.

I never had any huts/igloos for mine in their run, I got a huge black tube from a building site and stuffed that with hay and they would sit in there too and could run along the top of it (now have the thing in my room!)

Willow balls and things they can throw are good.

A chill 'n chew mat, mine love theirs. Not a must of course, just a suggestion.

When mine were outside they would only drink out of a water bottle, now they are inside they will only drink out of a bowl :roll: I would say get one of each and see what your bun prefers.
Oh and make sure they are nice heavy bowls as buns like to throw things and you'll end up with food/water everywhere if they can pick them up!

Last edited:
Mine love levels and ramps and tunnels and things to sit under. Balls and things they just ignore.

Oh and for bowls I find what works best for us is a dog bowl for water and a shallow saucer type thing (designed for putting plant pots on) for their food bowl, they can get in it and forage through and they aren't trying to get two mouths in one small dish.

Last edited:
Willow balls, hay tunnels, pellets, wood pellets or whatever litter you are using, hayrack, save the toilet roll holders ;), bottle brush, fenugreek crunchies are a must, grooming brush, hutch disinfectant, a a purse full of money to go with!! :lol:

Back