• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this hutch big enoug for ....

CharlotteMc

Mama Doe
Is this hutch big enough for 2 buns a dutch and a dwarf lop. I like this design but wandered if it was big enough ??
It is 5ft wide, 2ft deep and 3ft high :)

runrun.jpg

I think that looks fab and plenty space, similar to mind which was a chicken coop and ive got the 2 in it plus they get out in run during the day :)

I have one something similar except it has a sloping roof to end of the run bit and it is 6ft wide and nearly 3ft deep, I love mine. I am going to extend the run bit by somehow adding another run on at the end, I think I have worked out how I am going to do this now. :D I only have one rabbit in it at the mo but there will be 2 and I dont lock him in now, I was locking him in when it was really really cold and he has a heavy dish for his water.

Oh and I paid 99.00 for mine

Last edited:
I would say its a pretty design, but is a little on the small side for two rabbits.
RSPCA guidelines say for a pair, the minimum is a 6 foot by 2 foot hutch with attached run. It's probably (im assuming) fairly expensive for what you get so not sure if its something you are able to consider, but getting a shed for them probably wouldn't be any more expensive, and give them more room :)

Is the 5ft including the run and box on the end? I can't tell from one angle. It looks like it might be a nightmare to clean out though.

It depends if you are going to make it all weather proof and add an additional run - if not then it's too small in my opinion for rabbits.

I don't rehome to these unless they are made into a hutch with solid walls and have an additional run added.

It's definately better than the other one, but again if it's going to be permanent housing in which they will spend most of their lives, it doesn't really allow them much space to have a good run around. As "The Duchess" has said, it would only really be suitable if it had another run attached really.

ohh i found a bigger one :D:D for only £10 more
this one is 6ft long, 3ft deep and 75cm High :) any better ??
nr.jpg

No, sorry it just doesn't cut it for me. Not enough all weather space for rabbits to go when it's -10 or when the wind is howling. Or when the sun is beating down. And how do they run up and down and binky? Answer - they can't.

You can do so much better than these things.

Helen

ahh no if i was to get it then they also have their nice big run that they would go out in during the day :)

What is it that attracts you to this when you can get a hutch that would suit the bunnies' needs better than this kind of accommodation? Just interested why folks like these over cheaper and bigger normal shaped hutches?

The living space is really not that small, Thumper poops in the nest box on the end so I have 2 corner litter trays in there, he has an igloo catbed inside which he sleep on or in depending on his mood and stil loads of room even with that in but as I said I will be adding a 6x4 or bigger run on the end using this

http://runaround.flyingcart.com/?p=detail&pid=21&cat_id=0

I have also stapled taup round the back and sides and cover the front with taup at night if needed.

I have also just bought a 6ftx2ftx2ft rabbit hutch which cost more and like my coop one better.

I think you pay a lot more for these types of 'hutch' (I would call them a coop not a hutch). If you use that money for a standard but well built hutch I think you'll be better off.

i had 2 of these and put an extra shelf in the run part i also covered them in tarp during the bad weather and filled the hut bit nicely with bedding.
it suited me at the time but once my girls were bonded i wouldnt of kept 2 in one of them......i dont think there big enough for 2. :?

Back