• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do your bunnies still love you after you've force-fed them nasty medicine for weeks??

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
Hi everyone, just wondering what is the longest time you've had to give your bunnies Baytril (or similar horrible tasting stuff)? Olly has now been on it about 10 days, but the vet says to keep it going for another couple of weeks as he hasn't really improved yet :( it's horrible giving it to him as my OH has to hold him down while I open his mouth and squirt it in, he hates it so much :( on top of this he's now got metacam too, a whole 1ml syringeful every day, not attempted that yet but really dreading it. Poor bunny, he's always ill and only 4 months old, just want him to be happy and healthy and not have to take nasty medicine!

You shouldn't really need to be opening his mouth, you should be able to get the syringe behind his front teeth and get it in that way. I found it easier to just syringe it into a tiny bit of brown bread and give that to them. Then they think it's a treat :lol: They shouldn't really have bread but in the event of baytril I think it's better to have a 'naughty' than stress them.

Metacam is much sweeter and most of mine always take it willingly. Nutmeg still struggles but again I just put it on bread.

well when i say open his mouth i mean kind of lifting his lips so i can see where to put the syringe! But I like the bread idea, will definitely give that a go! Fresh bread or do you let it go a bit hard? Do they not tast e the medicine then drop the bread like a hot potato??

Well Muesli seems to still love us and he has been on oral meds for 21 days now, and has only been here around 6 weeks - so I would say yes :D

Badger has been on permanent meds since March and we've found ways to give it to him so that he likes it. Have you tried hiding the baytril in basil or in a fresh food he likes?

How would you put it in basil or anything else fresh? I put panacur on carrot slices and thats fine, but baytril is more liquid... :?

I have some bunnies that have been on meds for 2-3 years permanantly and they still love us :love: :love:

well when i say open his mouth i mean kind of lifting his lips so i can see where to put the syringe! But I like the bread idea, will definitely give that a go! Fresh bread or do you let it go a bit hard? Do they not tast e the medicine then drop the bread like a hot potato??

Ah I see. I use fresh cos then it soaks in. :)

PUT IT ON A FENUGREEK CRUNCHIE!!
Don't worry about the metacam...it's yummy...Well Blue thought so.....e kept trying to steal the syringe off me :roll:
When Blue had stasis a couple of weeks back I had to syringe feed him every 2 hours....which he HATED. Had to give him injections too. It didn't take long for him to love me again though :wave:

How would you put it in basil or anything else fresh? I put panacur on carrot slices and thats fine, but baytril is more liquid... :?

Yeah that's what I found, it slipped off anything, even a crunchie as soon as they turned it to eat it.

Leo hated me but I had to clean his wound, inject, clean his cone, put cone back on, wash him and give oral medicine as well. Poor little thing. It went on for around 2months.

The love came bouncing back though when it was all over and he realised I was the provider of fenugreek crunchies :lol:

Mine's been on continuous meds since last March too. There's no fooling him so it's a syringe x3 daily. He's never missed a day of at least giving me a nose lick at bedtime. :love:

I use a big basil leaf, and then put it in that,and then a smaller one on top, and fold it round. works a treat unless the bunny is REALLY sneaky.

Back