• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vaccinations - made a boo boo!!

How often do you have your buns vaccinated?

• never

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • Myxi only - if so how often

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • VHD only - if so how often

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Myxi & VHD annually

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Myxi 6 monthly & VHD annually

Votes: 40 71.4%

• Total voters
Im sure ive posted a thread similar to this before. But ive just been looking over my own bunny health records and their vaccination cards from the vets and something is amiss. I think Marley missed his VHD this year :oops:

Probably because he was due not long after Dolly had her really bad reaction. I completely forgot about it :shock:

What would you do? Get him done when Dolly is due or get him done asap?

Also, ive added a quick poll as to how often you have your own buns done - could you please say if your in a high risk area or not too.

Thank youu :wave:

ETA: I voted the last one - as thats what i USUALLY do :oops:

Last edited:
if Dolly is related to Marley I would not get him done at all because of Dolly's bad reaction.
I think you should discuss the matter with your vet.
sue:wave:

if Dolly is related to Marley I would not get him done at all because of Dolly's bad reaction.
I think you should discuss the matter with your vet.
sue:wave:

They arent related, but i plan on using lapinject for the pair of them this time, see how they go with that one.

Hi, I've voted the last one because that's what I will do. Jenson is still a baby so he's only had his first set.
He had lapinject (thanks to advice here or I wouldn't of known to ask only that I needed it done) and he was fine.

No idea if I'm in a high risk area, he's an indoor bun and I'm trying to relax about worrying about everything.

I voted the last one. I have foster buns coming/going all the time so its important our own bunnies vaccs are up to date :) x

I voted the last one, I think I'm in a high risk area as there is a field next to me which wild rabbits live in and in summer I see a lot in my garden. Luckily this year I haven't seen any who obviously have myxi but last year I saw a couple who had it and it was awful to see, they had lumpy faces, runny eyes and didn't realise you were there until you got really close to them then they would run away but couldn't run very fast :cry: :cry: A strong reminder of how important vacs are and I will always keep Beano and Gordon up to date.

A quick question - Beano had the cylap (I think it's called that :oops:) VHD injection but after reading about the reactions to it I want her to have the lapinject one (again not sure if I've got the name of that right) can I ask the vet to do the lapinject one? It says on Gordon, my rescue bunnies, health card that he had the lapinject one so can I ask my vet to carry on doing the lapinject one for him and change Beano to the lapinject one not cylap?

When is Dolly due? I would get him done with her if it is soon but if not get him done as soon as you can :)

I voted Myxi only, I vaccinate myxi every 6months :) Its not I cant afford the VHD but its not a high risk in my area and the rescues in my area only do myxi aswell I think :D

I voted Myxi only, I vaccinate myxi every 6months :) Its not I cant afford the VHD but its not a high risk in my area and the rescues in my area only do myxi aswell I think :D

Living so close to you I must say that surprises me......

My vet never even vaguely considered me *not* getting the buns' vaccinated for VHD and as it's such a nasty illness I don't see the point of taking a risk?

We are close to the Peak District which is very rural - surely we are therefore as much at risk as anyone? I also found this snippet on google:

9 Sep 2010 ... I live in the Peak District, and as a kid remember seeing quite a few wild bunnies with myxi.. In our area we're also recommending the vhd vaccine
- from a Vet Nurse website. :)

ahh thanks :) I am taking me bunny Harry for his vacc next week so I will talk to my vet while I am there :) Which is the right type of VHD vaccs to get ??

There are three VHD vaccinations.

Cylap, Lapinet and Anivac.

Cylap seems to have the most side effects but comes in one dose vials.
Lapinet has less side effects but comes in five dose vials that have to be used in one day.
Anivac is very new and seems to also have very few side effects and comes in one dose vials.

Mine had Anivac this year :)

ahh right so which do you think I should ask for, ??

Well it depends on your vet really. Some may not have heard of Anivac yet. I'd definitely avoid Cylap if you can, it may cost you more though as Lapinet means they have to do five vaccinations in that day.

I had to vote VHD annually because the Myxi vac is not available in NZ :(
Obviously if it was available I would be getting my guys Myxi vaxed.
So all I can say is be glad of the options you have available for your buns in the UK.

Thanks for the answers. I know of the 3 VHD vaccines. There will be 3-4 buns going when i go as my friend will be taking her buns for the first time. It will just depend on which vaccine (annivac or lapinject) is the cheapest, really.

If im honest, althought my vet has been really good with my 2, they dont seem to think vaccination is as high on the list of priorities as i do. Just wondering if anyone knows if Cleveland (saltburn) is a high risk area for either diseases? I havent been able to find anything on the internet...I do know that there are a lot of wildies where i get my hay from.

myxi every six months but I no longer vaccinate for VHD and don't see the point.

Is VHD not common in your area? I haven't heard of it in my area and didn't know of it before my vet told me about it and gave me leaflets on vaccinations and the two diseases but I thought I'd best get her vaccinated for both just to be safe.

Is VHD not common in your area? I haven't heard of it in my area and didn't know of it before my vet told me about it and gave me leaflets on vaccinations and the two diseases but I thought I'd best get her vaccinated for both just to be safe.

:thumb::D

I voted the last one, I think I'm in a high risk area as there is a field next to me which wild rabbits live in and in summer I see a lot in my garden. Luckily this year I haven't seen any who obviously have myxi but last year I saw a couple who had it and it was awful to see, they had lumpy faces, runny eyes and didn't realise you were there until you got really close to them then they would run away but couldn't run very fast :cry: :cry: A strong reminder of how important vacs are and I will always keep Beano and Gordon up to date.

A quick question - Beano had the cylap (I think it's called that :oops:) VHD injection but after reading about the reactions to it I want her to have the lapinject one (again not sure if I've got the name of that right) can I ask the vet to do the lapinject one? It says on Gordon, my rescue bunnies, health card that he had the lapinject one so can I ask my vet to carry on doing the lapinject one for him and change Beano to the lapinject one not cylap?

When is Dolly due? I would get him done with her if it is soon but if not get him done as soon as you can :)

Sorry, ive only just seen this, someone might have answered it by now.

You can ask your vet to do the lapinject one, but i would call in advance to ask them to order it in as they dont always keep them in stock. Im not sure what my new vet uses, but ill be getting in touch this week.

Im going to get him done sooner rather than later, because hes going to stay with Steph and i dont know if she still has buns at her mums house, but i wouldnt want to put them at risk. Plus they can all be health checked at the same time. :)

Back