• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

broccoli?

beccimarie

Mama Doe
sorry to keep asking lots of veg.. but casper has taken a liking to broccoli :shock: he has suddenly got alot less fussy! is there any bad points about broccoli? i know give in moderation but i mean is it too high in anything? :wave:

Its known to commonly cause gas (like brussel sprouts, cabbge, etc), but it doesn't for all bunnies, so potentially you could increase it gradually to ensure you know whether or not he has a problem.

It should just be treated with caution, but then all new food for any bunny should, so see how he goes :)

Its known to commonly cause gas (like brussel sprouts, cabbge, etc), but it doesn't for all bunnies, so potentially you could increase it gradually to ensure you know whether or not he has a problem.

It should just be treated with caution, but then all new food for any bunny should, so see how he goes :)

ok thanks sky-O :) he does suffer from stasis time to time but he has eaten some now :roll: i only gave them a little bit as with every new veg :)

I personally avoid brocolli with my buns but only because I have one that is prone to gas. Same with cabbage, cauliflower etc. Its a shame coz they do love it!
I know alot of ppl give it regularly with no ill effects though, its really dependant on the individual bun :wave:

I personally avoid brocolli with my buns but only because I have one that is prone to gas. Same with cabbage, cauliflower etc. Its a shame coz they do love it!
I know alot of ppl give it regularly with no ill effects though, its really dependant on the individual bun :wave:

he has had cabbage before with no affects, ill keep a eye on him, i may just give it as a treat now and again if he has no affects :)

I only give it rarely as I thought it was quite high in calcium? If mine have it too often, we get slightly chalky wee. I may have dreamt that but I stick to it cos it works for us!

Any bunny can get gas from any food. I know someone whose rabbits can eat all the broccoli, sprouts, cabbage they want, etc, but if he gets a tiny bit of coriander he gets gas and looks like he is dying each time. Its all about perspective and being aware, that's all :)

Same with mine. Mini and Smudge are fine with it, Mischa and Nutmeg get gas.

Mine two get broccoli every couple of weeks or so, a floret or two and they adore it! They seem to know how much is good for them though because if I put it out for a second day they ignore it...

Back