• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Signs that pellets are off?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
How can you tell if pellets are off- not to be used any more. Any guidance appreciate. I have a 10kg bag that is open. When should i bin it.

Not sure exactly what you are asking for here.

Pellets need to be stored in a dry place where they are not exposed to vermin. I often decant a sack into tins and then they are airtight.

Obviously bin them if they become wet, exposed to vermin and go past their use by date.

I'm considering buying the bigger bags because it's more economical but i was also thinking this - would it go off because i've only got the 2 buns so the bags would last us ages.

Most pellets have a best before date on the bag...sometimes it is printed on the bag (Excel, SS) and sometimes is woven into the stitching (Allen and Page) :wave:

I think you probably have enough rabbits to use a 10kg bag well within the best before date. I have sacks of SS, Excel and A&P on the go at the same time, and easily use all within the BB date

I think once opened they have to be used within a certain time as the best before dates are normally for unopened packets.

I know Allen and Page generally has a 3 month shelf life, but every bag of feed will have a best before date printed on it.

I always transfer my bags into a dog food storage bin to keep it fresh and to stop any risk of contamination.

We have a huge bag of pellets that the feed place promised me would last 5 months if stored in a dry place..well, we have done that and I can see it's going off after 3 months. The problem is, how do I get the bin men to take a 40kg sack away?!

Thanks all- it's a sack that is open- it's in a cupboard, but it's not in an airtight container. Was just abit worried that's all. I heard rabbits can die from food that is contaminated with something like mycotoxins. I'm worried because adoinia showed symptoms which are compatible with this when she died.

Thanks all- it's a sack that is open- it's in a cupboard, but it's not in an airtight container. Was just abit worried that's all. I heard rabbits can die from food that is contaminated with something like mycotoxins. I'm worried because adoinia showed symptoms which are compatible with this when she died.

If you're worried, throw the bag and get another one.

Back