• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training.. I need your ideas!!

emmiiee

Warren Veteran
Matilda has taken to peeing behind my door, so I put newspaper down, and she has been going there all the time, now I really need to move her to a tray, at the other end of the room, but shes been peeing behind the door since we first got her!! im thinking if i move her spot, she is just going to pee behind the door on the floor, any ideas?? x

Take some soiled news paper and put it in a litter tray, behind the door at first. When ever she uses the litter tray make a fuss over her and stroke her. Gradually move the tray to the other end of the room. Dunno what else to suggest :)

Put the newspaper she's peed on in the tray but leave it in the same spot. Once she's using the tray properly gradually move it to where you want it. Slow process I'm afraid :) Or have 2 trays, one where she already goes and one where you want it and swop them daily. When (and if) she uses your favoured one a few times try removing the door one and put something there (large plant pot for example) to distract her. It might help to put her fav hay where she can nom it while in the tray you want her to use.
I do sympathise as I'm trying to litter train 12 wk old munchkin but he still thinks it funny to get on my bed while I'm in it and pee on me :? :D

Put the newspaper she's peed on in the tray but leave it in the same spot. Once she's using the tray properly gradually move it to where you want it. Slow process I'm afraid :) Or have 2 trays, one where she already goes and one where you want it and swop them daily. When (and if) she uses your favoured one a few times try removing the door one and put something there (large plant pot for example) to distract her. It might help to put her fav hay where she can nom it while in the tray you want her to use.
I do sympathise as I'm trying to litter train 12 wk old munchkin but he still thinks it funny to get on my bed while I'm in it and pee on me :? :D

aww yhh matilda is about 14/15 weeks, tho luckally shes a mini lop and can't jump/get up onto my bed lol!

Becaus it's behind my door I can't reli fit a litter tray behind it otherwise I can't open the door May look into corner trays might be able to squiseee one in!

I don't mind her peeing where she is, but cos i have a gap under my door, when she bounces off she shoots poo under the door and all over the landing ha! mums not to impressed! x

The only other thing I can suggest is to give small treats when she goes in litter tray, so she associates it with good things. We have done that with Muesli. He has a possible urine infection so it hasnt completely worked but it has helped and he looks up for his treat now when he is in there so he has definitely made the connection. I dont give him one every time (mainly because I am not there all the time :lol:) but as often as I could. Not giving him one all the time means that he doesnt assume he will get there all the time he goes as I am not convinced that every time he sits in the tray he is weeing (cheeky clever little man, you see! :D)

Back