• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Epileptic bun? HELP NEEDED PLEASE

Woodlouse

Mama Doe
:wave: Have just had a text from a friend who lives some distance from me, asking if I have any suggestions ...

Her rex female, Tiggy, is having repeated seizures and the vet doesn't really have any ideas left apparently. I've never actually met the bunny myself but know Tiggy is in the region of 7-8 years of age. Nik says she's had 2 fits today :(

I've asked about Panacur/Lapizole, thinking EC may be involved, but she's already had that apparently. Beyond that I have no experience of anything like this.

If anyone has any suggestions then Nik would be VERY grateful. Thanks! x

Last edited:
There are numerous possibilities that could cause seizures.

Aswell as EC there are bacterial infections that have effected the brain (abscess, meningitis secondary to middle/inner ear infection), Herpes Simplex Virus (Human).

Brain tumours

Arteriosclerosis-ie mineralisation of the blood vessels around the brain,

Severe heart/lung disease causing a reduction in the supply of oxygen to the brain.

Advanced liver disease and the 'end stage' of other systemic diseases.

Obviously without diagnostics it's impossible to say what may be the cause of the Bun's seizures :cry:

i know rexs do suffer from heart issues? which is why i try to keep poppys weight down, But obviously the only way to find out for sure is tests :wave:

Last edited:
As Jane says there are numerous causes and one of the above is most likely. True Epilepsy as a primary condition is apparently very rare in rabbits.

When my Vernon kept having multiple seizures, we treated with anti-inflammatories (non-steroidal) and antibiotics.

I also had to syringe feed him because he was disorientated and couldn't eat on his own.

Happily Vernon went on to make a full recovery (we never found out what was wrong with him btw)...so there is a chance for your friend's rabbit :)

Thank you so much for all the advice and suggestions. I will pass them straight on to Nik - she will be really grateful xx

Back