• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny massage?

Lottie999

Warren Scout
Are there any benefits to bunny massage? Was thinking about getting a book, just wondered if any of you Ru'ers do it and if it has any positive affect on buns?

I'm not sure, wasn't there some man that used to be on the tv that would massage them a certain way and make them stay still? I think that was just because they were frightened :roll:

I think it could be nice for your bunny though, I give Bernard shoulder rubs and he loves it :love: don't think Tilly enjoys it as much tho :lol:

It might be quite relaxing and soothing for them too. Would make an interesting read if nothing else :D

Is it the book by Chandra Beale you're looking at getting? It's sort of stick drawings and stuff but it's pretty good. I have had particular success with it on aggressive or frightened bunnies, it does seem to make a difference. As with all these things, there's a lot of trial and error but I do find the techniques a useful starting point to work out what your bunny likes. I think Chandra has a DVD as well but I haven't seen it :)

Is it the book by Chandra Beale you're looking at getting? It's sort of stick drawings and stuff but it's pretty good. I have had particular success with it on aggressive or frightened bunnies, it does seem to make a difference. As with all these things, there's a lot of trial and error but I do find the techniques a useful starting point to work out what your bunny likes. I think Chandra has a DVD as well but I haven't seen it :)

I can see how useful it would be with aggressive and frightened bunnies, that's something that never occured to me.

Is she spayed? That's usually the first point of call for grunty females!

If so, it may well do. I had particularly good success with it on an aggressive chap called Harvey who I fostered several years ago. He used to really relax and would slump on my lap and tooth purr while I gently touched pressure points along the sides of his spine :)

She's supposed to be, she was a rescue bun from one of those god awful freecycling sites, the woman told my brother she'd be spayed

Hmmmm...to be honest I wouldn't believe a word that someone from a freecycle type site says. In my experience (and that of many rescues) they'll tell you whatever they think you want to hear as long as it means you take their animal off their hands! It's highly unlikely you'd get the sort of owner who would spay a rabbit, giving it away on a site like that.

Personally I would suggest seeing if your vet can do an ultrasound to check if she is spayed and then do the op if they aren't sure...I may well be wrong but I would lay money on a female freecycle type bun which displays aggression being unspayed.

Hmmmm...to be honest I wouldn't believe a word that someone from a freecycle type site says. In my experience (and that of many rescues) they'll tell you whatever they think you want to hear as long as it means you take their animal off their hands! It's highly unlikely you'd get the sort of owner who would spay a rabbit, giving it away on a site like that.

Personally I would suggest seeing if your vet can do an ultrasound to check if she is spayed and then do the op if they aren't sure...I may well be wrong but I would lay money on a female freecycle type bun which displays aggression being unspayed.

I agree :D

I definitely think it helps some bunnies. They love the contact and for some they think that they are being groomed by another bunny.

I massage Daisyboots every day and she closes her eyes and goes to sleep.

Chandra's book is tried and tested so it's a good place to start I think.

Back