• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Meloxidyl dose?

weedug

Mama Doe
Honey was spayed yesterday and I have meloxidyl to give her daily as pain relief. She has only been prescribed 0.5ml daily, when she weighs about 2.3kg. She was given some a couple of months ago for possible arthritis, and she was prescribed 1 ml for that.

I questioned the dose today, but there was only a nurse available and she said that they only need tiny doses, and any more would cause kidney problems. When I still questioned it, and pointed out that she had been given more before, I was just told that it was the vet that had prescribed that, and it was a minor proceedure that she had :shock:. I didn't think a spay and dental were exactly minor!

Anyway, can anyone tell me how they work out the amount to be given?

Rabbits actually tolerate much higher doses than most other species due to the way they metabolise the drug, renal issues are not so much of a concern with rabbits as once thought unless bun already has renal issues or the drug is used longterm. Exotic vets are happy to prescribe much higher doses where necessary.

Honey will have had pain relief during/post op anyway so although I agree that she does need some today, she may not need as much as she would have done yesterday.
The exact dose depends on the strength of the meloxidyl you have and on the vet's precribing range.
0.6mg/kg is generally accepted as the highest appropriate dose - this is 0.4ml per kg if you are using a 1.5mg/ml solution. So 1ml when arthritis was suspected you were given top dose.
However, anything in the range from 0.4-06mg/kg is acceptable - this is 0.2 - 04ml if you use the 1.5 strength stuff. So it really is up to your vet. 0.5ml isn't a bad dose, just not top whack.
You will need veterinary consent to give more.

:wave: Thanks for that. It is the 1.5mg/ml strength that I have.

I'll see how she does on that tomorrow, and get in touch if she doesn't seem happy. Last thing I want is for her to be in pain.

It must just be the vet that we saw who doesn't like giving higher doses. She originally prescribed 3 drops for Honey before the dental.

I got a little guy neutered a few weeks ago and he was on almost the same dose, but was about a kg lighter.

I suppose it must be the different vets that prescribe the different doses and get me all confused :lol:

:wave: Thanks for that. It is the 1.5mg/ml strength that I have.

I'll see how she does on that tomorrow, and get in touch if she doesn't seem happy. Last thing I want is for her to be in pain.

It must just be the vet that we saw who doesn't like giving higher doses. She originally prescribed 3 drops for Honey before the dental.

I got a little guy neutered a few weeks ago and he was on almost the same dose, but was about a kg lighter.

I suppose it must be the different vets that prescribe the different doses and get me all confused :lol:

I've had vets prescribe above 0.6mg/kg and still use her permission to do that for when Nino has acute bloat not responding to the lower dose, but i've also had some vets prescribe less than 0.2mg/kg and get quite shirty with me when I tell them the prescribing guidelines for rabbits! :lol: On those occasions I just give what I feel bunny should have, but of course i'm not allowed to tell you to do that on here ;):wave:

I've even made my reg vet check the prescribing guidelines on his computer with me in the room to make sure we had the right dose, but recently he's far more open minded re. meloxidyl after he had a conversation with an exotics vet at a conference.
I hope Honey feels better soon x

ETA that makes me sounds like a right nightmare client! :oops:

I've had vets prescribe above 0.6mg/kg and still use her permission to do that for when Nino has acute bloat not responding to the lower dose, but i've also had some vets prescribe less than 0.2mg/kg and get quite shirty with me when I tell them the prescribing guidelines for rabbits! :lol: On those occasions I just give what I feel bunny should have, but of course i'm not allowed to tell you to do that on here ;):wave:

I've even made my reg vet check the prescribing guidelines on his computer with me in the room to make sure we had the right dose, but recently he's far more open minded re. meloxidyl after he had a conversation with an exotics vet at a conference.
I hope Honey feels better soon x

ETA that makes me sounds like a right nightmare client! :oops:

:lol::lol: No makes you sound a bit like me today. I did feel sorry for the poor nurse :lol:

I was saying in a round-about way that I would give her more tomorrow if I thought she needed it ;). It would only be for a couple of days until she gets over the op.

And you told me to stick to the dose prescribed ;)

Back