• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please Help!

Hey.. i need help!

I went out today to clean out my rabbit freddy and the gineau pig huleo.. and smelt an awful smell! concidering they get cleaned out once a week then don't smell.. when giving freddy some fuss i notice he had poo all over his bum and back legs! His always a clean rabbit! Its dierrhea and im scared cuse trying to info on the internet just scares me cuse they go on about death! His my baby not even a year yet :( What could it be?

Many Thanx!

Can't think what could cause it so quickly, when did you last check on him?
Either way, get him to a vet ASAP! If it is 'real' diarrhea buns don't usualy last very long :(
Others on here will have better ideas what it could be. I suggest moving this to a section called 'Rabbit Chat' - it might get more views there. :wave:

If it's true diarrhoea, then no, you can't wait!

It may be an uneaten cecal that's got all squashed into his fur, have you tried cleaning him up a bit?

hi there, your post makes you sound young so sorry if you arent?

but there are a few reasons for diarriahh to occour, best thing is pop him along to the vets today. keep him seperate from your g.pig they shouldnt really live together anyway as can pass lots of nasty diseases between them and often g.pigs get hurt also they have different dietry needs your g pig will need much more vitamin c and the rabbit will need much more hopping space! :)

a few causes of sticky poops are too much vegatables, a change in enviroment or in diet, the best thing to do is make sure bunny isnt dehydrated and give him plenty of water, he also needs to eat lots of hay for fibre some rabbits who already eat lots of grass find this helps too but do not introduce anything he hasnt eaten before. is he still eating his normal dinners ok? when did you last check on him (ie how long has the poop been funny?) has he had all his vaccinations do you know? another thing is even with the cleanest bunnies you must clean them out or at least there poopy corner or litter tray daily this prevents disease and them sitting in poop etc, i would pop him to a vet to get the all clear but giving him less wet food and more hay should help him if its jsut sticky poops, you can clean him up by giving him a small bath or by putting cornflour on the sticky poop then sliding it off his fur, only get his underside and poopy areas wet and use a damp cloth to remove the poop, dont use shampoos just warm water. and also ensure you dry him off afterwards hope he is ok xx

edit is it diarrriaahh or sticky poo? as diarriahh needs vet treatement today asap if jsut sticky poop and you can think of a cause monitor it xx

If it's everywhere - all over his bum and in the hutch I don't think it can wait. :(
How is he otherwise? Have you changed his diet at all recently? Is he drinking ok, active etc?

Can't think what could cause it so quickly, when did you last check on him?
Either way, get him to a vet ASAP! If it is 'real' diarrhea buns don't usualy last very long :(
Others on here will have better ideas what it could be. I suggest moving this to a section called 'Rabbit Chat' - it might get more views there. :wave:

Im actually at my boyfriends! And my sister is cleaning them out1 she explained everything to me! And ive expressed it on here! Im just worried and no one understands everyone is like dont worry about it!its nothing my bf is taking the **** out of me cuse im getting upset! he doesnt really take an interest in new food soo i really dont think its that! xx how do you do rabbit chat?

but there are a few reasons for diarriahh to occour, best thing is pop him along to the vets today. keep him seperate from your g.pig they shouldnt really live together anyway as can pass lots of nasty diseases between them and often g.pigs get hurt also they have different dietry needs your g pig will need much more vitamin c and the rabbit will need much more hopping space! :)

a few causes of sticky poops are too much vegatables, a change in enviroment or in diet, the best thing to do is make sure bunny isnt dehydrated and give him plenty of water, he also needs to eat lots of hay for fibre some rabbits who already eat lots of grass find this helps too but do not introduce anything he hasnt eaten before. is he still eating his normal dinners ok? when did you last check on him (ie how long has the poop been funny?) has he had all his vaccinations do you know? another thing is even with the cleanest bunnies you must clean them out or at least there poopy corner or litter tray daily this prevents disease and them sitting in poop etc, i would pop him to a vet to get the all clear but giving him less wet food and more hay should help him if its jsut sticky poops, you can clean him up by giving him a small bath or by putting cornflour on the sticky poop then sliding it off his fur, only get his underside and poopy areas wet and use a damp cloth to remove the poop, dont use shampoos just warm water. and also ensure you dry him off afterwards hope he is ok xx

edit is it diarrriaahh or sticky poo? as diarriahh needs vet treatement today asap if jsut sticky poop and you can think of a cause monitor it xx

Im 18 lol ?

Im actually at my boyfriends! And my sister is cleaning them out1 she explained everything to me! And ive expressed it on here! Im just worried and no one understands everyone is like dont worry about it!its nothing my bf is taking the **** out of me cuse im getting upset! he doesnt really take an interest in new food soo i really dont think its that! xx how do you do rabbit chat?

i9f bun not interested in food he needs vet NOW it is lifethreatening if they go off their food he needs gut stimulant and pain relief too please see a rabbit savvy vet asap x

I think you need to distinguish between true diarrhoea and an uneaten cecal / sticky poop.

Are you far from home? Can you pop home to check him yourself?

If it is proper runny diarrhoea I really think he needs to see a vet asap.

And ignore your b/f. :lol::wave:

i9f bun not interested in food he needs vet NOW it is lifethreatening if they go off their food he needs gut stimulant and pain relief too please see a rabbit savvy vet asap x

I think she said he's not interested in new food, so hasn't eaten / shouldn't have eaten anything new which would upset his tummy.

Going on what my sister said and the smell and she also sent me a picture his bum was covered in poo and looks like dierrhea! To behonest with you.. his a lazy rabbit as it is soo cant see a difference his so gentle and calm! One sister cleaned him and the other held him with his butt in the air his so good! Thats why i dont wana loose him! I cant take him to the vets tonight seeing as im not at home! But cant i leave it til tomorrow morning and check on him?

He hasnt has any vaccinations either!

At the moment his in the shed in a hutch seeing as its cold outside! and he gets on so well with the gineau pig but i see where your coming from when you say they have different needs and personalitys are differnt !

I really think your bunny needs to be seen by a vet as soon as possible. Please don't wait till tomorrow - they go downhill so fast.

Agree with all of this.

Personally, i'd be taking your bunny to the vets immediately if it is diarrahea (sp?).

Yehh.. ever since ive had freddy.. He doesnt tend to eat from your hand and if you put carrot in the hutch doesnt take much interest out of it.. tends to eat hay and his fry food! And loves water!

Thats why i find it all wierd cuse his diet hasnt changed and its come one all of a sudden! They get fussed most the day!

Bunny really needs to see a vet tonight. You either need to go home and take him or get one of your sisters to take him

It really is not worth risking, especially if it is diarrhea, bunnies go down hill so quickly! If you wait until tomorrow then it may be too late. Please take him to a vet now

Going on what my sister said and the smell and she also sent me a picture his bum was covered in poo and looks like dierrhea! To behonest with you.. his a lazy rabbit as it is soo cant see a difference his so gentle and calm! One sister cleaned him and the other held him with his butt in the air his so good! Thats why i dont wana loose him! I cant take him to the vets tonight seeing as im not at home! But cant i leave it til tomorrow morning and check on him? He hasnt has any vaccinations either!

At the moment his in the shed in a hutch seeing as its cold outside! and he gets on so well with the gineau pig but i see where your coming from when you say they have different needs and personalitys are differnt !

No, he really needs to be seen now. Can't leave him overnight - don't know whether you realise how serious this could be.

Back