• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do people bring bunnys back to rescues?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
I am putting on my t&cs that i want the buns to be brought back if there are any problems or issues etc that the new owner feels they can't handle rather than rehoming themselves if the need ever arose.

Do people bring bunnies back?

ive signed the form that says Holly will go back to hopper haven if i ever have to rehome, after Pearls death and my almost cant take bunnys no more breakdown Lou kindly offered Alvin a forever home as well as Holly should i ever need a time out and the sponsorship money i currently use for Henry and Loki would then be transferred to their care... i wont be taking up that offer but it was very much appreciated at the time :love:

so yes a long way of saying, i would make sure of the return of an adopted pet to its rightful home should i not be alive any longer :D

It's in my t&c's that Barnaby remains the 'property' of the sanctuary. I'm just his foster-carer. I'm not allowed to rehome him myself.

I'm also not allowed to have him pts without their permission, unless of course he's suffering. :(

yes, we have had some back. Some years down the line, when their other bunny has died. Some weeks later if the bonding doesn't work and also when people cirumstances change.

Smudge (in my sig) was rehomed and then came back 9 months later because she had supposedly become very aggressive and unhandleable. But we have never seen any aggression from her either before she was rehomed or when she came back.

Last edited:
Yes they do bring them back.

I've had two different pairs brought back (both to ARC when I helped out there).

In one case the pair were returned due to a change in personal circumstances - family illness and the other was a single where the owner adopted and then gave her and the original boy rabbit up to be rehomed.

You may find that good folks who give bunnies back when one has passed away, would choose to give the bunny another chance at having a friend by handing it back rather than keeping it as a single bunny.

In the T's & C's from Starlights Rabbit Rescue it states that Ginger must be returned to them should i not be able to keep her anymore and i must not rehome her myself :wave:

I think its a pretty standard term in Rescue T's & C's.

If you microchip your bunnies I believe you can have it so the rescue details always remain alongside the owners with a note to say they should be contacted if the rabbit is lost or pts is being requested. ATM tho I don't think vets regularly scan because they are so rare in rabbits. It maybe worth doing if you microchip anyway- and the more common it gets the more likely vets are to start checking.

Responsible owners do, yes. One of my bunnies, Winter, was from a family whose child killed his partner (the father attributed this to him being autistic) and was trying to kill Winter :shock: I knew they got him from a local rescue centre and they should have took him back there but I had to have him for myself just to make sure he was ok. He was very aggressive when he first came here (in a tiny tiny hutch) but he is now my most friendly and inquisitve bunny I own :)

P.s. the rescue centre now know I own him as I have rescued 2 other bunnies from them :)

I think it's quite common... I signed one for Ralph.

And also when the people whose stray rabbit I found asked me to take her, I made them sign something which signed her over to me permanently on the very good advice of Lorrane (Raine) on here. The last thing you want is somebody trying to claim a bun back who you take into rescue.

Last edited:
We've had more than 10 returned to us in the last year, and many in the years before that.

Quite often people bring them back when the bunnys partner dies, when a bun becomes ill and the owner can't cope or afford it, or if they have a change in circumstances and can longer keep the rabbits.

As Donna said earlier, our adoption form stipulates that the rabbits must be returned to us if they can't be kept by the original adopter, and we will always happily take back Hopper Haven bunnies.

We took Julie and Jordan back after Widget and Sprocket fell out. We felt it was the only thing we could do given the situation sadly. I do think it was the right decision, even though it was really hard, because I really wanted things to work out. :cry: But they were only here for one night.

only three rescues ive dealt with have this policy.

after losing dazy-mae so fast..angie at BARC said if i was too upset to keep her sister or it didnt work out that shed help bluebell get back to her.

well i loved both the girlies as soon as they arrived..such a shock to lose dazy-mae within the first 3 weeks or so:(

bluebells still chasing the kittens and has bitten frey..well only a fur wound..and thats with constant supervision!!
angie if she carries on..i will post her back to you!! ;) only kidding..i couldnt berties her hubby now and hed be so miserable..merlin says shes a big orrible bully!! but hes having to live aaprt anyway till the mystery of his mass in his tummy is solved and hes lost 10% of his body weight..
living with a frenchie meant he was eating soo much and we were thinking it was bertie!!

bluebell is comfy with her surroundings...too comfy rotf:lol:

I'm sure I signed something similar when I got Honey from Fife Rabbit Rescue and it's in the SSPCAs adoption T&C's as well.

Back