• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Been Up To The RSPCA Centre Today

The Duchess

Wise Old Thumper
And out of 24 rabbit (or small animal) accommodations where the rabbits and ferrets/pole cats are kept, only 4 were occupied.

I get quite angry because I've taken in a bun that was turned away from there and I know people are told that the RSPCA is full quite often (not necessarily this branch - Chobham Millbrook) and we are all full to bursting with a waiting list, unyet they have all of this empty space.

I know that their policy has recently changed to not take in strays and unwanteds, just removal cases, but I still get fed up about the whole situation.

They had originally said that they weren't taking any due to refurbishment of the blocks, but that was about 4 years ago when I volunteered there, but now, suddenly, nothing has happened but they still have empty spaces.

Does anyone else think that this is ridiculous? Keep a few spaces for emergencies yes, but not 20 spaces!

Well if they've genuinely got empty hutches because there are no rescues coming in then that's great! But if they're passing them onto you because they say they're *full* then that's not on. I'd be pretty cross.

I'd be half tempted to tell the next person wanting to join your waiting list to just abandon their rabbit outside the branch. Wouldn't be irresponsible as you know they have space and if the animal is abandoned then they have to take it. Suppose you can't though.

Well if they've genuinely got empty hutches because there are no rescues coming in then that's great! But if they're passing them onto you because they say they're *full* then that's not on. I'd be pretty cross.

They don't even know I exist, it's just that the guy was turned away (stray rabbit) and so found me via another rescue centre.

I know it's been like this for months. I go up regularly to have a look and they never have more than a few in, despite Bobtails, ARC, and others still taking in and getting lots of calls for assistance.

Maybe there is a very good reason, I'd just love to know what it is.

I have always found it is better to rely on smaller charities, not just the RSPCA, I think some charities get so big they loose touch with why they started in the first place:(

It is really unfair on all the smaller charities, and in this case the rabbits that could have been safe now:(

Before getting Barnaby I'd called my local RSPCA branch to see if they had any rabbits and was told no.

I mentioned it to the sanctuary where I got Barnaby from and was told that my local RSPCA branch had money issues and so weren't taking any small animals in.

That may be the case for your local branch but, given the money the RSPCA gets, I think it's ridiculous to overload smaller charities who cannot get the publicity or the funds.

P'raps although they've got room, they physically haven't got the volunteers to carry out all the other necessary duties - cleaning out, feeding etc etc

Before getting Barnaby I'd called my local RSPCA branch to see if they had any rabbits and was told no.

I mentioned it to the sanctuary where I got Barnaby from and was told that my local RSPCA branch had money issues and so weren't taking any small animals in.

That may be the case for your local branch,

Always a possibility as we all know that funding is the reason for the policy change, but, this is a major multi species centre with horses, dogs, cats, pigs, goats and birds too. It has a very large team of salaried staff and loads of volunteers (but they all like to do the dog walking and cat grooming and not the small animals). This branch has a large pet store and a self contained charity shop too. I doubt that it's directly funding that is the issue in the same way it might be for a privately run RSPCA branch.

P'raps although they've got room, they physically haven't got the volunteers to carry out all the other necessary duties - cleaning out, feeding etc etc

I know that noone likes to help out with the small animals - I used to volunteer there and was often the only person in the small animal sheds alongside the salaried staff. But they could very easily encourage volunteers I am sure, if they put the word out that they needed help.

And out of 24 rabbit (or small animal) accommodations where the rabbits and ferrets/pole cats are kept, only 4 were occupied.

I get quite angry because I've taken in a bun that was turned away from there and I know people are told that the RSPCA is full quite often (not necessarily this branch - Chobham Millbrook) and we are all full to bursting with a waiting list, unyet they have all of this empty space.

I know that their policy has recently changed to not take in strays and unwanteds, just removal cases, but I still get fed up about the whole situation.

They had originally said that they weren't taking any due to refurbishment of the blocks, but that was about 4 years ago when I volunteered there, but now, suddenly, nothing has happened but they still have empty spaces.

Does anyone else think that this is ridiculous? Keep a few spaces for emergencies yes, but not 20 spaces!

So what do the RSPCA advise people to do if they find a stray?

I don't know the answer to that one, cept to say that the rabbit I took in (Libby) was found by a guy who had volunteered at his local RSPCA for 17 years fostering dogs and they even sent him away saying that they couldn't take any more in. That week I went up there and they had loads of empty sheds.

I don't know if it's because they think it's better for them to go to species specific centres or what, but I do know that a couple of years back it was quite obvious that the RSPCA Inspector locally would rather take them to the rescue I helped out at in Bracknell rather than take them to his/her own centre. I don't know why, but I know that it was often the case.

Shocking:shock: Surely it would be better to clear your waiting list with that extra space.

Possibly but maybe not specifically mine as mine is manageable with all the buns currently safe and secure in their existing homes, but certainly somewhere like ARC who I know used to regularly have 40 odd buns needing to come in.

Wood Green animal shelter in Godmanchester currently has a waiting list of over 100 rabbits needing to come in too. I don't actually know of any rescues that don't have a waiting list. Just seems barmy.

I think this is poor.

Our RSPCA is fit to bursting with no room anywhere (and they take in strays, have a waiting list, etc because they are not a Centre- they are a branch) and are struggling to rehome any rabbits.

It might be that some of the animals were taken home for Christmas due to staffing levels. It may also be they rehomed before Christmas (i.e. not as Christmas presents, just actually before Christmas) and may recall off their waiting list once christmas is over. I think probably a better idea of the actual situation will be visible in January- but if it is how it appears, then its poor.

This depends on the branch. It is only the Centres run by the National RSPCA that don't take in strays. the independently run Branches using the name (more like franchises) will have their own policies. Mine does take in strays and any variety of animal if they have space. So its always worth asking your specific branch.

If ours are full and genuinely can't fit an animal in they will recommend a wide variety of other reputable places to try.

hmmm - well cant say i have ever had a single good experience with the RSPCA - im sure plenty of others have but me personally - no

My local RSPCA Inspector is currently in the process of removing 150 rabbits from a home. Paul and I are fostering 2 of them. They are DESPERATE for foster homes for these bunnies.

As I understand, the RSPCA are focusing on taking in cruelty cases and those animals most at need. Millbrook alone have several ongoing court cases at the moment, all of which take up the time of Inspectors and cost a hell of a lot of money.

I admire the RSPCA for making this decision. Like all of us, they cannot help every single animal out there and they are big enough (more recognised by the public) to be able to deal with the severe cases of cruelty and neglect. They have more power (although still not enough) to enforce the law and often are able to get the police involved.

I am sure the decision was not an easy one for them and I am sure they are helping more animals than the ones we can see at their centres.

Our local RSPCA branch has only got nine rabbits for adoption. Meanwhile, rescues run by individuals are struggling to deal with the needs of 100+ rabbits.:(

I wish this was the case at our branch :( We have no room for anything (rabbitss, guinea pigs, cats, hamsters) all of our spaces are full, and due to taking in strays over Christmas, we have more than we are meant to have :( Its so sad.

I have had problems with the RSPCA before in that they had many hutches but only 2 rabbits there. I found the same with the Blue Cross in Burford - they have excellent accomodation for bunnies but the accomodation isn't filled.

Maybe it's because there is only one person covering the rabbits, hamsters, mice and chinchillas section... ?

Maybe it's just the lack of volunteers, but like you said, they could advertise for more.

Back