• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lots of buns 'not right'

Grin

Wise Old Thumper
It seems that lots of us are having problems with our bunnies over these couple of days - do you think it could have anything to do with the big thaw??

I've been monitoring the temperature in the outhouse (bunny house) and it's actually 10.5 as opposed to the 2 degrees it was just the other day.

I'm just wondering if the rise in temperature could have something to do with all these bunnies being out of sorts?

Maybe not though - and some buns have been indoor ones anyway, where i imagine the temperature is pretty constant??

My rabbits were really grumpy when the temperatures were really low, and they are now much happier now that the temperature has risen. I think temperature does play a part in behaviour.

I think so yes. Dutchie was quite subdued christmas day and boxing day when it got really cold and grumpy which isnt like him. He is fine again now and has perked up since the weather improved

Holly had an off night last night. shes actually worse than alvin when she goes on hunger strike :shock:

she was eating when i got home at 5pm. by 8pm she was huddled and refusing everything. fine by 1am :?

this time last year it was Alvin in really bad stasis :(

only thing ive changed is i gave them spring greens from tesco this week, im convinced that Judy is right about her spring greens theory and upsetting the balance of bunnies tummies... off over the field in a bit to stock up on hawthorn branches for my angels before its too late to sort the tummy balance out

Holly had an off night last night. shes actually worse than alvin when she goes on hunger strike :shock:

she was eating when i got home at 5pm. by 8pm she was huddled and refusing everything. fine by 1am :?

this time last year it was Alvin in really bad stasis :(

only thing ive changed is i gave them spring greens from tesco this week, im convinced that Judy is right about her spring greens theory and upsetting the balance of bunnies tummies... off over the field in a bit to stock up on hawthorn branches for my angels before its too late to sort the tummy balance out

I pretty much thought spring greens were safe enough to feed them everyday!! I always have that about. What is Judy's theory?

Smudge is indoors, it does feel a bit warmer in this room than usual though. I don't know, maybe there's more moisture in the air now it's all thawing? Dunno how that would affect their tummies. Smudge is moulting really bad though, all of mine are, no amount of brushing seems to be helping Smudge though.

Clo's bottom has been behaving for months now, even in the freezing weather, but in a few days we have gone from -7 to +10 degrees here, and for the past 2 days he's done his old big squishy poops (I'd forgotten how bad they stink!!!)

He's still eating and drinking and I never change their diet, so all I can assume is that the sudden change in the weather is playing its part.

Louis, our Westie, gets slightly squidgy poos when the weather warms suddenly too.

I pretty much thought spring greens were safe enough to feed them everyday!! I always have that about. What is Judy's theory?

Not sure 100% of Judy's theory, but Tesco spring greens can often (packeted ones anyway) are covered in chlorine and you have to so thoroughly wash it off.

I don't buy veg from tesco now for that reason and if i do, its always the fresh stuff and im manic about washing it.

I give spring greens every day, as to loads of others, dont panic grin :wave:

Theres also a theory about room temp veg etc, im not really sure what i believe, but know that what i do seems to work.

It's so much cooler in our house since we've been back as the heating has been off whilst away and im sure that contributes to Ginger's ease of breathing.

my 2 (outdoors) seemed to positively thrive when it was minus whatever :shock:. i also firmly believe that a decent period of very cold weather helps tokill off lots of bugs etc.

but for indoor buns, I'm not sure why they would be going off colour.

lots of vibes for any buns who aren't quite 101%

Not sure 100% of Judy's theory, but Tesco spring greens can often (packeted ones anyway) are covered in chlorine and you have to so thoroughly wash it off.

I don't buy veg from tesco now for that reason and if i do, its always the fresh stuff and im manic about washing it.

I give spring greens every day, as to loads of others, dont panic grin :wave:

Theres also a theory about room temp veg etc, im not really sure what i believe, but know that what i do seems to work.

It's so much cooler in our house since we've been back as the heating has been off whilst away and im sure that contributes to Ginger's ease of breathing.

Thanks Gray. I bought tesco pre-packaged stuff yesterday but i did wash it before giving it to them. It was all they had in spring green terms. I wont buy it in the future though.

Although i keep my veg in the fridge, i make their bowls up for a long while before they are given to them - the bowls are in the kitchen which is cold but the veg will warm a little - should i be refrigerating the veg first?

Hmm im not sure what it is setting them off :? Temperatures here are much the same as they have been the past few weeks, plus Mimi is an indoor bun.
The only thing I can think that set her off was that I fed them packeted coriander instead of fresh (was all i could get :roll:) The boys ate it too and they were totally fine but maybe she has a fragile tum :?
Only other thing i can think is maybe theyre picking up on our stress this time of year?? Personally im working all hours and pretty stressed out so maybe she picked it up :?

Hmm im not sure what it is setting them off :? Temperatures here are much the same as they have been the past few weeks, plus Mimi is an indoor bun.
The only thing I can think that set her off was that I fed them packeted coriander instead of fresh (was all i could get :roll:) The boys ate it too and they were totally fine but maybe she has a fragile tum :?
Only other thing i can think is maybe theyre picking up on our stress this time of year?? Personally im working all hours and pretty stressed out so maybe she picked it up :?

Thats exactly what tipped Biscuit over the edge a month or so ago, was my stress.

I was really down/upset/angry about my Nan being in hospital etc and that set it all off, im sure of it as nothing else was any different.

That was even with Ginger being around to be a nurseybun.

Before, it would be mini-stasis episodes every time i left the house for more than a couple of hours and left him on his own.

Weather i think is certainly a factor, but i wouldnt necessarily say just the temperature. Humidity etc could also be to partially blame?

I don't celebrate Christmas so I haven't been stressed :p Also I don't feed spring greens anymore.

So odd isn't it. This room is the coldest in the house as it has two external walls and no radiator so the temp doesn't fluctuate as much as the other rooms where there are radiators that come on and off when the fire goes out, although our fire's been in since about mid November.

The ONLY thing I can think that might've stressed Smudge is when i hoovered yesterday but he's normally fine with the hoover.

she thinks the stuff they are treated with to stop them rotting may possibly affect the very delicate bacteria balance of a sensitive bunnies tum. not dangerous as such but could be affecting prone bunnies..

i definately wont be getting any again now after this even if the theory is incorrect

she thinks the stuff they are treated with to stop them rotting may possibly affect the very delicate bacteria balance of a sensitive bunnies tum. not dangerous as such but could be affecting prone bunnies..

i definately wont be getting any again now after this even if the theory is incorrect

Arrh right. I wasnt aware. I have been washing everything i give them.

Back