• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vet appointment at 1.40 today :'o(

Hugbut

Mama Doe
I haven't been around for a couple of weeks but now I'm back with a poorly bunster :( Honey has been acting weird since yesterday - eating normally then not at all. I've tried the usual tricks of rubbing her tummy, offering her different foods, encouraging her to run around etc. but she is still only eating in spurts. She's never suffered with dental problems before & her tummy doesn't feel swollen so I am really worried that it's something more serious. Please can she have any spare vibes sent her way :cry:

Thanks everyone :wave:

Honey on Christmas Day :love:

388e56e4.jpg

Sending get well vibes for Honey x

My rabbit was the same yesterday (seems alot of RU bunnies were not eating properly yesterday)
Took him to the vet and there was nothing wrong with him, vet said he was just in a funny mood!
I hope it's the same for Honey.

Hi everyone, thank you for the vibes - Honey has had a thorough check up at the vets. It turns out her molars on one side have spurred :( She is booked in for a dental first thing in the morning. I'm glad we know what's wrong with her but I have no idea how I'm going to afford two dental buns :(

:wave:

Hi everyone, thank you for the vibes - Honey has had a thorough check up at the vets. It turns out her molars on one side have spurred :( She is booked in for a dental first thing in the morning. I'm glad we know what's wrong with her but I have no idea how I'm going to afford two dental buns :(

:wave:

This may be teaching my Grandmother to suck eggs but is there any way you could modify her diet to help her teeth? Does she have pellets etc you could stop in favour of something like more stalky hay and brambles to help wear her teeth down?

Glad she's ok and being sorted out tomorrow :wave:

i know the feeling - i dread tooth check times for my 2 but i have started to save a little each month as a tooth fund for them (its empty at the mo so thankfully esme's check yesterday was ok!)

This may be teaching my Grandmother to suck eggs but is there any way you could modify her diet to help her teeth? Does she have pellets etc you could stop in favour of something like more stalky hay and brambles to help wear her teeth down?

Glad she's ok and being sorted out tomorrow :wave:

I thought her diet was ok but I was clearly wrong :( On a typical day she has a combination of: a small amount of excel pellets, meadow hay, excel forage/herbage, a small amount of readigrass & some fresh. I also have the problem that she tends to lose weight easily - at the minute she is very slim & I worry that if I cut out her pellets she will lose more weight. The vet did say her weight wasn't a problem, she's just a lean build :? Is it ok to give her brambles, won't the thorns hurt her mouth?

Any suggestions very welcome :wave:

:wave: My buns eat brambles fine, but I take some of the thorns off first :oops:.

I think that branches are good for the teeth too. Like apple branches.

:wave: My buns eat brambles fine, but I take some of the thorns off first :oops:.

I think that branches are good for the teeth too. Like apple branches.

I will have to try her with some brambles then, thanks for the tip :) My Dad's got an apple tree so they have a good supply of apple wood. I've got to phone the vet in a minute to see when I can collect her, I hope she's ok, poor girl :(

I will have to try her with some brambles then, thanks for the tip :) My Dad's got an apple tree so they have a good supply of apple wood. I've got to phone the vet in a minute to see when I can collect her, I hope she's ok, poor girl :(

Sounds perfect. Hope she's ok. Prettylupin might be a good person to ask about diet as her buns don't have pellets at all :wave:. Mine don't have them in the summer but I have needed to up them this winter as one of mine has been losing weight probably due to the cold and ear abcesses.

I'm pleased that it turned out to be dental problems for your bun, but truely empathise with the financial problems.
My bun also does "spurt eating" & unusually stops drinking when he needs a dental.
TBH If the teeth don't meet properly (malocclusion) or the jaw joint has stiffened up, we can't stop it happening cos the teeth aren't grinding against each other properly.

There may still be a few bramble leaves left in sheltered places, but not many. It's not so much their mouths. Most buns can handle small thorns. My bun chins his food, the thorns get caught in his fur & work right down to the skin. Neither of us can get them out.:( He moults them out eventually in little tufts).

It's possible to rub the thorns off down the central vein starting at the leaf tip. My fingers are tough perhaps a thimble would help? You'll find a great variety in thorniness of brambles & can even buy thornless cultivated brambles & enjoy the fruits in Autumn.

The bark of fruit tree prunings (not stone fruit) & fruit bearing bushes - eg currants / raspberries, is fine too, as is hazel (make sure it isn't Wych Elm by the Spring catkins). I usually use tree/shrub leaves to improve gut motility. Sadly it's made no difference to the frequency of Thumper's dentals because he has malocclusion. Worth a try though.
Good luck. :wave:

Back