• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Which hutch?

Definately hutch 4.

Numbers 2 and 3 are far too small, and hutch 1, though of good size, the wood does not last long and is not of particularly good quality.

Hutch 4 looks the best!

Definately not 2 or 3 as they aren't big enough (not even 4 ft.) 4 looks better made than 1. :)

4th one as 1st choice, 1st one as 2nd choice. I actually like the look of the 1st one better, shame the wood quality isn't good.

Definitely 1.

Can I ask why 1? (Just curious.)

I picked 4 because internally it's bigger than one (1's width is only 20"), and it looks like it's made out of a stronger wood. Is there something I didn't notice, that makes 1 better? :?

I really dont like 2 or 3. They seem quite high up as well as being too small. As for the quality of wood on 1 and 4, unless you can actually see/feel it, i wouldnt be able to know if 4 was actually that much stronger than 1. It seems sturdier but i dont know whether that actually justifies the price difference.

Can I ask why 1? (Just curious.)

I picked 4 because internally it's bigger than one (1's width is only 20"), and it looks like it's made out of a stronger wood. Is there something I didn't notice, that makes 1 better? :?

Ooops, I actually meant 4, followed by 1.

Ooops, I actually meant 4, followed by 1.

Ah!! That'd be why, then! :lol:

I've changed my mind to say I wouldn't by 1 at all, either, because its only 18" inside. Not wide enough. I think a hutch should be at least 2ft wide, to give the buns enough space to hop.

Ah!! That'd be why, then! :lol:

I've changed my mind to say I wouldn't by 1 at all, either, because its only 18" inside. Not wide enough. I think a hutch should be at least 2ft wide, to give the buns enough space to hop.

Yeah - i think i agree on the space issue.

Arent there companies that do recommended hutches?

Hutch 1 is only 20 inches deep, an extra 4 inches really does make a difference. I am not sure what type of wood this is made from.
Hutch 2 is only 4 foot x 2 foot whcih is only just big enough to put a pair of guinea pigs in :cry: There is no access to the main area apart from through the roof therefore putting a cover on it will mean limited access and the cover would have to be removed when cleaning out. I have had one of these donated for using with rescue guinea pigs and the wood is soft wood and easily chewed, the hinges are very poor quality and fall apart easily.
Hutch 3 are identical to hutch 2
Hutch 4 is made of a better wood and is a far larger size.

Have you considered http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6ft-5-x-2ft-5...et_Supplies_Small_Animals&hash=item35aed57827 whilst a bit more expensive it has an attatched run which will give you rabbit greater space and will mean it can have access to the run all the time, rather than when you are able to put it out.

Another option would be to get a small shed, line it out to prevent them chewing it and add a run to the side. This will not cost much more than getting a hutch with a separate run. The advantage is that everything rabbity can be stored in it, and on a cold wet day you can attend to your rabbits without getting wet.

Wouldn't buy any myself. Number 4 is the only one that I would consider for homechecking purposes so that would be okay, but I think you can do better for the money.

The back of no 4 is made of plywood so could get damp very easily. I would personally go for a hutch that is solid TandG. Also stear clear of any hutches like the Trixie ones as I think that they are lightweight and almost certainly all made of Chinese Fir and will last 5 minutes as they chew really easily.

I also hate anything made 'en masse' in China (as most of the cheap hutches are) - but that is a different issue.

I can't have a shed for them, but I already have a 6ft run for them. I'll keep looking :) Thank you for the help

Hutch 4 does look sturdier but is that wire fox resistant? Hutch 1 seems to have better wire although I take the point that the quality of wood may not be good. Really I am asking about the wire as I need to buy a new hutch in the Spring and would tend to steer way from those with wire like hutch 4 unless anyone can help with my query.

Yes, sorry. I can't have a shed because there are already 2 sheds in our garden which belong to my Dad and I can't have another shed :(

Back