• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Teaching Rabbits 'Tricks'

Cat129

Warren Scout
I read somewhere that you can clicker train rabbits? Just wondering if anyone has tried this?

If it actually works I would like to try this but a bit skeptical.

my rabbits come to me when i call there name :D....and they binkie if i walk in a high voice...and they listen if i say no...i thought that was pretty inpressive lol :lol:

Yes it does work :) I train my bunies to jump using it. I know a few members on here disagree with rabbit jumping but my bunnies really enjoys it and arent forced to do anything ;) ) Once they have done what you want them to do click and reward with a treats . But remember to set the clicker sound to low so it doesnt scare the buns :) I also depends on the rabbit some rabbits are alot easier to train then others :)

I taught Rimmi to come to his name by calling his name and then shaking his food tub and giving him a treat when he came. Now all I have to do is call his name and most of the time he comes running! :p

Is this something you just pick up as you go along. I clicked trained one of my past dogs, Is it generally that same thing?

i saw something on youtube once a rabbit doing an obstical course...they wernt forcing it....it was having a great time jumping over the stuff...but it prob takes a hell of a lot of work

My rabbit russell is great at jumping and even binkies over huge jumps most of the time :0 I can post a vid if you like :)
and yeah its just the same as a dog really :)

I am honestly suprised:shock:. I thought it was just some mad woman online trying to sell stuff:oops:. Im going to start training tomorow now. Sounds like fun :D.
The only time bugs comes to me, is when I have food or he is bored and wants a nose rub.

And yes I would like to see the video please

tbh, I dont see why thats bad. If a bun didnt want to do it, it just wouldnt. I am going to see if bugs likes jumping tommorow. He needs to loose some weight so hopefully it can get us both fit

How could people think its cruel? Bunnies are so stubborn, if they don't want to do something, they won't do it :lol:

I really need to get a clicker :) I'm pretty sure Ben would do anything for pellets and maybe Jack as well. Timmy is not that food oriented.. but he does love attention and rough back petting :lol:

I'm convinced Lucky is deaf - he doesnt respond to a clap behind him - if he's THAT determined to chew your wires/wallpaper/skirting/sofa then no amount of clapping/clicking/ shouting will deter him! :lol: So i cant really imagine him responding to clicker training - And i cant imagine Daisy doing anything on your terms - even for noms - both can be soo stubborn. (But i love it) :love::lol::lol::lol::lol:

okay the first one is a video of Russell at london doing a demonstrations, ( the harness is only for safety reasons)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAt-rC2xc5w

This video is of my new bunny harry and his first training session :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQJsO8Yvut0

Haha I love that video, Russel is amazing and at 50 seconds Harleys in the background with his head deep in the box of treats pushing them around :lol:

Clicker training rabbits is pretty much the same as what you'd do with a dog :) Mine have responded very well to it.

Haha I love that video, Russel is amazing and at 50 seconds Harleys in the background with his head deep in the box of treats pushing them around :lol:

Clicker training rabbits is pretty much the same as what you'd do with a dog :) Mine have responded very well to it.

aha yeah I remember that :L:L He was so cute, we nearly had a bunny collision tho :L:L

How could people think its cruel? Bunnies are so stubborn, if they don't want to do something, they won't do it :lol:

I really need to get a clicker :) I'm pretty sure Ben would do anything for pellets and maybe Jack as well. Timmy is not that food oriented.. but he does love attention and rough back petting :lol:

I personally don't think clicker training is cruel but I'm not 100% sure on rabbit jumping. Like you say rabbits won't do something if they don't want to and after watching a couple of videos on jumping it looked like most of the time the rabbits didn't want to jump but were just being pushed in the right direction. I can't make a desicion as to whether I agree with it or not as I have only ever seen videos and haven't witnessed it in 'real' life so don't feel like I can give a completely accurate view on it but so far I have to say I have found more cons than pros.
Forgive me for saying, it seems like the owners enjoy it more than the rabbits :oops: ... perhaps I'm wrong but until I see otherwise then this is my opinion on it.

I don't think it is cruel tho, I would rather see a rabbit in a nice home with a nice owner that takes it show jumping than in a hutch at the bottom of the garden.

It's just something I am a bit unsure about :?

Everone has there own opinion and thats fine :) I would never make my rabbits jump if they never wanted to, and trust me if Russell didnt want to jump he wouldnt :L:L Its great for pending time with your buns :D

Many of the rabbits involved in the displays will go over the jumps on their own accord, rabbits can be taken off lead in an open space, with the owner not even following and the rabbit will go over the jumps. At home there are nearly always some jumps up in the garage, and if the weather is bad the rabbits are allowed to run around in there, they too go over jumps when you're not even there

Back