• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pond water

blackspots

Warren Scout
Two of my buns prefer to drink water from containers in the garden and the pond rather than their bottle. I've given them a bowl option but they still prefer to wait until their free range time to have a drink from less fresh sources. Do anyone else's buns do this? My other trio and other pair don't.

I have a dish with water plants in which has about 3 inches of water (except just now when its frozen solid) and Sparkle loves to drink out of it even when I've taken a fresh bowl of water out for them.
Kane, meanwhile, is still eating snow..........not sure what he's going to do when its all gone :lol:

Mine wont use a bottle ever since i put a bowl down. They much prefer to drink from a bowl and apparently, it's more natural for them to do so.

Tho they also love soaking toys in there when they've had enough of them :roll:

After reading a lot of threads on RU, its quite common also for a bunny to not want to drink 'fresh cold water' from a tap as most of us would give it, but would however like to drink slightly warm water.

As an almost experiment, i tried this and can confirm my two certainly prefer slightly warmer water to ice cold.

If i do their two water bowls, they will sniff them, ignore them for a couple of hours and then come back and drink.

If i use luke warm water (add some hot into the cold) they guzzle as soon as i put it in.

Quite interesting me thinks :wave:

I never thought about the temperature being a factor - i always just assumed that a bottle was quite unnatural and uncomfortable to drink from.

I will make an effort to add some warm water to their bowl from now on.

I never thought about the temperature being a factor - i always just assumed that a bottle was quite unnatural and uncomfortable to drink from.

I will make an effort to add some warm water to their bowl from now on.

I would agree with this too though Grin. Biscuit used to get frustrated with his bottle, as he could never get enough out of it for what he wanted, so i quite frequently watched him 'scrabble' at it trying to get more out.

I also found the bearings were useless more often than not. i had 5 bottles, from different manufactuers and locations and they all broke. Could be because they were indoors, i dont know.

Also about the comfort, im sure you're right. I'd hate to have to keep cricking my neck to get water! Much rather lay down and drink out a bowl if my head was level with it, as a bunnies is :)

Im not saying its gospel, just in my experience adn what i've read here :)

I would agree with this too though Grin. Biscuit used to get frustrated with his bottle, as he could never get enough out of it for what he wanted, so i quite frequently watched him 'scrabble' at it trying to get more out.

I also found the bearings were useless more often than not. i had 5 bottles, from different manufactuers and locations and they all broke. Could be because they were indoors, i dont know.

Also about the comfort, im sure you're right. I'd hate to have to keep cricking my neck to get water! Much rather lay down and drink out a bowl if my head was level with it, as a bunnies is :)

Im not saying its gospel, just in my experience adn what i've read here :)

I totally agree with that. Lucky seems to drink far more than he ever did with a bottle.

Back