• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mite treatment - squidgy poos?

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
Can zeno cause squidgy poos? I wouldn't have thought so, but my little mini-lop friend has taken to doing squidgy poos since having the stuff put on him.

Not likely but a combo of mites, squidgy poo and mini lop rings 'Dental' alarm bells to me..................

That's interesting - I already have doubts about his teeth. He is not a good hay eater and frequently accepts but immediately drops fenugreek crunchies. I'm hoping that when he goes back to the vet at the end of his mite treatment his teeth will be properly checked.

That's interesting - I already have doubts about his teeth. He is not a good hay eater and frequently accepts but immediately drops fenugreek crunchies. I'm hoping that when he goes back to the vet at the end of his mite treatment his teeth will be properly checked.

I would try to get this done ASAP. Otherwise gut problems (stasis) are on the cards.

I would try to get this done ASAP. Otherwise gut problems (stasis) are on the cards.

Thanks, Jane. I'm hoping to see the wee fellow later today. I did mention dental as a possible cause of the mite problem before, and hoped his teeth would have been checked by the vet on his first visit, but apparently they weren't.

I'm just wondering why a dental problem would cause squidgy poos. :? As far as I know his diet hasn't changed (although it's not very good).

I'm just wondering why a dental problem would cause squidgy poos. :? As far as I know his diet hasn't changed (although it's not very good).

Poor intake of long fibre (hay) leads to dysbiosis in the cecum which leads to excess/unformed cecotrophs, mucky bum, soft fecals etc. Dysbiosis can occur over a period of time so is not necessarily related to a dietary change but to an ongoing inappropriate diet (ie lacking in hay/too much protein and carbohydrates)

Poor intake of long fibre (hay) leads to dysbiosis in the cecum which leads to excess/unformed cecotrophs, mucky bum, soft fecals etc. Dysbiosis can occur over a period of time so is not necessarily related to a dietary change but to an ongoing inappropriate diet (ie lacking in hay/too much protein and carbohydrates)

Thank you. I'm afraid this is very likely to have happened in this case. :(

Back