• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

head tilt

violet who has been recently speyed is a rescue bunny who has developed head tilt today. just been to vet she has had a'biotic, metoclopramide and first dose of panacur. She taking fluids when i hold a wee bowl and taking grated apple and tiny bit of pepper from my hand - so unlike her she must be feeling awful. :(:( Anything else i can do to help her?

Has she had an anti-inflammatory analgesic eg Metacam ?

Did the Vet give you any Critical Care to syringe feed her ?

Do you have her indoors on a heatpad ?

My Lillly had head tilt and one of the vets advised me to put her to sleep, which i said NO!.
She started with a slight tilt then the next day she was totally upside down.
We went through the thrashing stage which got me up at least 5 times a night for almost a week to calm her down.
We chopped all of her food up really small and fed her things she could eat upside down ie baby spinich and rocket, she had her water in a hamster dish which we held at an angle for her.
She was on Baytril, panacur, metacam and eye ointment for the eye that was damaged with touching the floor.
Be strong for her and don't let her pick up on your feelings (i use to go in the bedroom and sob my heart out, but never did it in front of her)
'on the wonk' site helped me loads.
It is hard but stick with her. XX

She is inside with me, she has a temp. is snuggled on blanket, i have critical carehere wasn't given tonite for Violet - should i give her some> She hasn't had metacam.

An anti-inflammatory would help with either middle ear infection or E.cuniculi caused head tilts so certainly worth trying. There are anti-nausea medications used in humans that seem to help reduce the vertigo in some wonky buns.
Keep a close eye on her appetite and poo production as stasis can sneak in when they're feeling nauseous and not wanting to eat much

What abx is she on? Ear infections are the biggest cause of head tilt in bun.
She will definatly need Metacam aswell xxx

She had baytril sub cut and metoclopramide sub cut. the vet checked her ears and as no obvious signs thought caused by E.cuniculi????? Should i phone on call vet for metacam???:cry::?

spoke with on call vet last night who wanted to see how treatment went before giving anything further. Myself and OH hand fed and syringe fed Violet through the night, returned to vet this morning as she hadn't pee'd or poo'd. got to vet and she had done both. had metacam, sub cut fluids and metoclopramide and is continuing to brighten up. still syringe and hand feeding but she managed to take some hay on her own which improvement. Is there anything else i should be doing?? thanks for all your advice and info, would be lost without you all.:)

spoke with on call vet last night who wanted to see how treatment went before giving anything further. Myself and OH hand fed and syringe fed Violet through the night, returned to vet this morning as she hadn't pee'd or poo'd. got to vet and she had done both. had metacam, sub cut fluids and metoclopramide and is continuing to brighten up. still syringe and hand feeding but she managed to take some hay on her own which improvement. Is there anything else i should be doing?? thanks for all your advice and info, would be lost without you all.:)

She will need Metacam every 24 hours. Has the Vet prescribed this for Violet ?

Hi, I am sorry to hear your bun is ill. Our girl bun Buttercup had head tilt caused by e cuniculi last February and we thought we would lose her on many occasions - hang in there and go with your instinct - you know your bun best so don't be tempted to 'do the kindest thing' and have her pts.

I think the advice you find on here is second to none and would agree with what others have said particularly about the metacam.

Whatever is causing the head tilt, your bun should feel better after the metacam which is as I understand it an anti inflamatory and hence a pain killer - so if it's a ear infection it will help with the infection and pain - if it's e cuniculi it will help ease the neurological damage caused by this horrible parasite.

Speak to your vet again too - our vet (the vet who eventually treated Buttercup sucessfully and saved her life) also prescribed Panacur to help[ get rid of the parasite - this is only needed if it is EC.

If you have other buns it would be worth your while I think treating them all with Panacur just in case it is EC. Our vet gives a dose that is higher than recommended for rabbits and over a 28 day period - again I would speak to your vet about this.

Buttercup was ill for weeks and five vets told me to have her pts as there was nothing that could be done. A rabbit savvy vet is a must in this situation.

If you saw her now running up and down the hallway you would never guess that she has been a 'wonky' bun.

Hang in there and good luck xxx

Ruth

thank you Ruth. Violet is on panacur x 28 days. All the other buns are on a 9 day course. She can sit upright but front paw and one side of her mouth 'on the wonk'. Continuing to hand feed her grated carrot n grated apple, she managing little bits of baby spinach and is able to tear at cabbage leaves. She taking v.little hay and teeny tiny amount of readi grass. She is peeing and poo's very hard -she can lap water from a wee cup at a bit of an angle. anything else i can do?

Poor Violet. It sounds like she is in good hands, you're doing an excellent job of nursing her.

It can be difficult for a head tilt bunny to drink enough to avoid dehydration, so feed plenty of fresh, wet green and grass if her tummy will tolerate it. The syringe feeds and grated carrot and apple will be helping as they are quite juicy.

Has the vet said whether her tilt is due to an ear infection or E. cuniculi or is she not sure? Is there any nystagmus (eyes flickering side to side or up and down)?

Sorry I have no advice to offer but wanted to send vibes for you and Violet.
Sounds like you are doing a great job of looking after her.

I am sorry to say Violet took a turn for the worse, we rushed to the emergency vet but she deteriorated so fast there was nothing that could be done. Thank you for all your advice and kind words.:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Oh, I am so sorry to hear Violet didn't make it. It is clear you did all the right things and tried your best. Sometimes even our best efforts are not enough.

You were right to give her a chance - look after yourself now though and I hope you find some comfort in knowing you did all you could.

Sleep tight Violet xxx

Ruth x

Back