• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

6ft hutch - How long does a bale of straw last?

wally4eva

Mama Doe
Just wondered how long a bale of straw lasts if you have a 6ft hutch and fill the bed area with straw?

Can keep over a year if kept out of weather and airated. Only know this because of horse riding. May be able to keep longer :)

Probably didn't make myself clear enough:oops: I meant like how long would it take to use up a bale of straw if you filled a 6ft hutches bed area with straw and cleaned out about once a week:)

Sorry:oops: but thats good to know too:) Thanks:D

I should imagine it would depend on how often you replenish the bedding and how much you put in. A typical bale has about 10-12 'slices' in it and I reckon one 'slice' would more than fill a bedding compartment of your hutch. You'd maybe only need half a slice...

I've just counted the slices in my horses straw :)

I have a giant hutch.
A bale lasts me between 10-14 days depending on how much they eat and how bad the weather looks.
Bag magazorb 2-3 weeks. Pumpkin thinks its there to dig through.
The smaller normal size bun hutch [like yours] a bale lasts two to three weeks depending on how hungry they are and what the weather is like. Bag of megazorb nearly six because Teasel prefers to use a tray.
Bag megazorb lasts me 2-3 weeks in the hutches but upto a month using indoor litter trays.

When they are all indoors a bale of hay lasts up to four weeks but the housework from them taking hay everywhere increases.:lol:

I think it really depends on whether your bunnies use a litter tray or not. A bale used to last me ages with Dudley and Santa because they were both good little buns who used a litter tray, but now Mavis poops and wees all over the place (and has encouraged Dudley to do the same!) so now I have to clean the whole thing out much more frequently. So whereas a bale used to last me a couple of months, now it lasts about 3 weeks :) I always top the strawed parts with hay as well, so that they have something nutritious to munch while they snuggle (or poop, as the case may be).

Back