• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can straw be used as a bedding?

I put a thick layer of newspaper, then soft straw with a bit of hay on top. I put more hay in the litter tray and also use a hay rack.

I don't use newspaper, but I do use straw with hay on top. Straw is more insulating than hay.

I don't use newspaper, but I do use straw with hay on top. Straw is more insulating than hay.

I use newspaper and hay in their hutch and in their litter trays. I reckon that way they've got hay to nibble on all the time. Didn't realise straw is more insulating - think I've always avoided as I had g/pigs and couldn't use it for them.

all three can be used as bedding. the problem with straw is that i think it has basically no nutritional value to rabbits so if they decide to chew on that they will eat less hay - although the straw will help with their teeth they will miss out on nutrients.

i guess it depends in which quantities you are thinking - you definitely want them eating FAR more hay than straw though.

depending on how you plan to buy your hay you may find it still works out economically to just use hay as bedding - we have found a local farm to buy bales from and now use only hay (with some newspaper underneath as it makes cleaning out quicker and easier)

i hope that's right - feel free to correct :)

As there is a hay shortage I have found it more benficial to use straw as a base bedding (especially when it got REALLY cold!) and then top up the hay as normal twice a day. It only really saves hay on changeover days, but any saving is a help and it also helps keep the buns warmer.

Back