• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teeth loss/fallen off?

the fluffies

Young Bun

Alfie
Both parents are mixed lionheads, agouti color, 2.1kg
2.5years old
Male, un-neutered

Mocha
Mom is a mixed dutch, dad is a mixed lionhead, agouti color, 2.4kg
3 years old
Male, neutered

Today is their monthly grooming session. I was trimming Alfie's fur and found that some of his hair get into his eyes and his right eye is a bit watery. I was a bit worried to see the matted fur near the watery eyes, so i checked on his teeth. And i found one of his front lower left tooth was gone!

PC300033-1.jpg

PC300032.jpg

Then i checked all my 12 bunnies and found out Mocha's front lower right tooth was gone too.

PC300042.jpg

Alfie loves to chew his cage bars, but not Mocha. Both of them are eating well and love their long strand hays. Other than losing their teeth, they don't show any sign of health problem. No abscess, eating and drinking normally like the rest.

Since they're from the same buck (Daddy Dino), so i checked on their dad too. This is the Dino's teeth photo. It looks normal to me, except his lower left is slightly misaligned.

PC300046.jpg

Another photo of Dino's teeth

PC300045.jpg

Any of your bunnies experienced teeth loss? Is this a sign or dental/malocclusion? Can the tooth grow back again? Other than sending them for xray, is there any other way to diagnose/confirm this problem?

Thanks.

-Nerq-

Looks like incisor malocclusion with elongated root involvement.

Without appropriate Veterinary treatment, probably removal of the incisors, then the condition will worsen. This can lead to problems with the molar teeth (if they are not already effected) and infection in elongated roots leading to abscesses and osteomyelitis.

It is VERY likely that this is a congenital condition so NONE of the Rabbits should be used for breeding again.

In short, the Rabbits need Veterinary attention.

Good luck.

Back