• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you distract you're buns from eating wires and wallpaper

I put toys on the floor, some food, pots of herbs, random bits of wood and that seems to do the trick :)

I don't think that there is any distraction great enough to really conquer their temptations for wires or wall paper. You have to cover them to make them as hard for them to get to as possible then offer something really tasty near by like apple twigs,willow balls, baskets etc...
This is the only distraction that works for Julie. If Julie doesn't have the bunny stuff to chew on readily available then she will take the time and effort to uncover the stuff that I don't want her to chew.

Last edited:
Protection is the only way!

I use 3 panels of a metal rabbit run to protect my sofa from naughty Oscar (and I wish I'd protected it BEFORE he wrecked it:lol:)

Thankfully he hasn't (yet) chewed the dining table or book case, and doesn't bother with the carpet.

in our room I block them off and use wire covers, can't do the whole house as it's my BF's Mum's but I block off what I can when they're running around, it's not worth the risk with wires D: (Firefly left a trail of devestation in his wake, he actually purposely targeted wires when he was in a bad mood for whatever reason and decided I deserved to be punished, :roll: phone chargers, usb cables... glad he never got a plugged in one :shock:)

you can get some cheap wire covers from Ikea, they're not exactly bunny proof IMO but it's better then nothing

in our room I block them off and use wire covers, can't do the whole house as it's my BF's Mum's but I block off what I can when they're running around, it's not worth the risk with wires D: (Firefly left a trail of devestation in his wake, he actually purposely targeted wires when he was in a bad mood for whatever reason and decided I deserved to be punished, :roll: phone chargers, usb cables... glad he never got a plugged in one :shock:)

you can get some cheap wire covers from Ikea, they're not exactly bunny proof IMO but it's better then nothing

Yes Alfie chewed through telephone wires and computer wires when he escaped last week so had to put a end to him being able to escape,all my main wires are in the living room so thinking giving them freerange of the bedroom,hall and kitchen

hide them or block them off. eric still manages to find any that are left dangling tho.
i don't have wallpaper, just painted walls - he likes to nibble the door and skirting board instead:oops:

No matter how many toys and distractions (even another bunny to play with) you provide, a bunny will always find something more appetising (like a cable or skirting board) to chew on. You really have to go for protection or limiting their free-range time to when you can supervise. I don't have a house bunny myself, but my little rabbit nephew was an indoor bun last winter, and he chewed his way through all sorts of things. :roll::shock:

wires have cable protectors over them, and then i have the old play pen panels up agaisnt them, and the wall, just to be extra safe

wires have cable protectors over them, and then i have the old play pen panels up agaisnt them, and the wall, just to be extra safe

This is what I do too. I also try to limit how many wires are around.

Shall I wheel out my famous photos? :oops::lol:

Back