• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please help! I don't know what to do!

Raisin has been acting very strange recently and has started to become very terrotorial! I have been thinking for a few weeks now about getting her spayed, however i understand its supposed to be quite a big opperation!

I am not sure how much spaying costs, but i understand its alot than neutering a male rabbit! Does anyone know roughly how much it costs?
Please help me, i would love to here some advice!

Hello :wave: I dont know roughly how much it costs as my bunnies were all spayed in rescue.

It is really important to get it done however, because female bunnies are highly susceptible to uterine cancer if they are not spayed, I think 85% before they are five years old. It also prevents phantom - and real - pregnancies - and then means that she can be paired with another neutered bunny and would have company.

I am sure you will get lots more replies that can tell you more about costs and whats involved. :wave:
:)

It's about £65 at my vets for a spay. Most people who use this site have their females spayed and all but a few rescues spay females rabbits before rehoming them. Without it 80% of females will get mammary or ovarian cancer by the time they are 5 which is fatal. I volunteer at a rescue and have not known a female not come round after a spay but many have not been woken up due to being riddled with tumours. The risk of tumours increases as she gets older so better earlier than later :wave:

At our vets, it's £55 for a spay, not including any meds which may be needed after surgery.
It is a bigger operation for does than bucks but all my buns have come round absolutely fine after nuetering.
GA is a bigger risk in buns BUT in a healthy bun GA shouldn't cause any problems what so ever.
I would highly suggest you get your doe spayed... it works out so much better in the long run and you will end up with a happier, more content bunny and you'll be a happier, less stressed owner :)

Both my boys are neautred it is worrying but if you find a good vet who does a lot of spaying then im sure your bun will be just fine! You must get iyt done though its much better for them!

My girl is in today getting spayed, and it's costing about £67.

As far as I know, there are no side effects to getting them spayed, other than the usual slight risk an op is to anyone.

Unspayed they can become very territorial and aggressive, and there is a very high risk of cancer.

I know it is stressful, but IMO it is worth getting done.

Thankyou very much for the advice! What are the side affects of spaying a rabbit?

I dont know what you mean side affects of speying? Do you mean benifits?
She should calm down and become less terratorial when speyed, she cannot develop utrine cancer (which happens to something like 80% of unspeyed does over a certain age i think :? )

i hope all goes well with your little girl and that she calms down after her op - remember though, it won't happen immediately!:)

Definitely get her spayed :) It'll take upto a few weeks for her hormones to settle down, but it'll be worth it for both of you in the long run. Hope she settles down x

Back