• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone put rabbits out to exercise in the same area, but house seperately?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
Just curious as I'm thinking about letting some of my pairs interact, but i'm not sure if it would work as i don't want to bond them just exercise them together.

I guess the best thing is just to try and find out.

Just wondered if anyone is doing this successfully? Not bonding as such. Not neutral territory. Just literally a big space for several group of buns to run around?

Before Gypsy passed away I let her and Scamp out in the same area for exercise once a week or so. They were pretty ambivalent about it and quite happy to run back to their own accommodation after.

It would probably be more complicated with more rabbits. But work the same as having bonding sessions. It really depends on the bunnies how well it will work though.

Before Gypsy passed away I let her and Scamp out in the same area for exercise once a week or so. They were pretty ambivalent about it and quite happy to run back to their own accommodation after.

It would probably be more complicated with more rabbits. But work the same as having bonding sessions. It really depends on the bunnies how well it will work though.

Hi Tamsin,

Sorry to hear about Gypsy :( I found this when i the buns out together and i was trying bonding then.

I have different buns i want to try this with now. Maybe i would be better trying them in a hutch first neutrally to see how they react to one another before giving them a mass of space to interact?

Last edited:
Thanks :) How big is the hutch, it might need to be a bit bigger. I find if the space is too small they can get a little annoyed about being crowded by a unfamiliar bunny but obviously you don't want to go so big you can't grab them suddenly. Have you got a pen so you could give them a section of the exercise area if it's a big space?

Thanks :) How big is the hutch, it might need to be a bit bigger. I find if the space is too small they can get a little annoyed about being crowded by a unfamiliar bunny but obviously you don't want to go so big you can't grab them suddenly. Have you got a pen so you could give them a section of the exercise area if it's a big space?

6x4 pen i could put them all in together intially, then expand it. The max hutch size i have is 6x2x2 currently until i get some kennels setup. Unless of course i use the spare 8x6 shed to put them in.

Mine go in the same area but not at the same time. That in itself causes enough chasing if I havent brushed all the poo up

Back