• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaccinations

Alicia

Mama Doe
I'm hopefully getting a rabbit next year :) How much do the vaccinations they need cost and how often do they need them?

I'm hopefully getting a rabbit next year :) How much do the vaccinations they need cost and how often do they need them?

Prices vary from Vet to Vet so you'd be best to obtain a quote from the Practice you intend to use. The consult should include a health check.

The vaccinations are Myxomatosis every 6 months and VHD once a year. I would advise you to ask for either the Lapinject or Anivac VHD vaccine. The other one, Cylap, is well known for causing side effects.
There needs to be 14 days between each vaccine.

yep as above the price should b around £16.50 for the vaccines each I wouldnt pay any more have a shop around ring a few vets :) x

Jane pretty much summed it up.

At my vet it's £15 for VHD (lapinject) and £10 for Myxo.

Also, a bit off topic but you might want to consider getting 2 bunnies as they are very sociable animals and do so well in pairs/groups :)

yep as above the price should b around £16.50 for the vaccines each I wouldnt pay any more have a shop around ring a few vets :) x

We pay more than this for ours, however, I would not shop around because our vets are very good with rabbits so you aren't just paying for the vaccine but for the healthcheck that you receive at the same time.

It is at the time your bunnies go in for their regular vaccinations that you can pick up any potential health issues before they get to be important or an issue, so you should not just go by price, but by the quallity of the veterinary care you will recieve.

You need to build up a relationship with the vet so that they know your rabbit well for times of emergency - so pick the best vet you can not the cheapest.

We pay about £24 for myxo and £18 for VHD

Last edited:
Spenser's vaccinations cost £18 each. I consider it good value because it's a good opportunity to ask other questions and get professional advice. Two rabbits are generally better than one, but a single bunny was the right decision for me at the time. Good luck! :wave:

Thank you :) I only ask because I've already started saving money for everything the rabbit needs and I've been working out costs of hutch, food, and things like that so I just wanted to know how much to put aside for vaccinations. I live in Surrey, will the myxi vaccination need to be done once or twice a year?

Thank you :) I only ask because I've already started saving money for everything the rabbit needs and I've been working out costs of hutch, food, and things like that so I just wanted to know how much to put aside for vaccinations. I live in Surrey, will the myxi vaccination need to be done once or twice a year?

Twice. Most vets will advise twice a year anyway. Once a year is rather risky and a little outdated considering the prevalence of Myxi these last few years. In the South you will need it twice a year :wave:

I also pay the same sort of fees per vaccination as the Duchess, as she says, better to pay a little bit more for a rabbit savy and competent vet who will also give your bun an experienced health check. :)

Sorry, I forgot to check this thread. I live in Haslemere, Surrey, about 20 minutes from Guildford.

bit too far out for our rabbit savvy vet - is she anywhere near yours helen? my geography is AWFUL! :lol:

(cant recommend strongly enough going to a rabbit savvy vet)

bit too far out for our rabbit savvy vet - is she anywhere near yours helen? my geography is AWFUL! :lol:

(cant recommend strongly enough going to a rabbit savvy vet)

No that's about 30 mins from us, but I do know someone down that way so I will ask her and come back when I have an answer :D

Should be £30 total for vhd and mixi- they are done 2 weeks apart. Mixi needs doing every 6 months- vhd annually. If you are in a high risk area for mixi maybe more.

Back