• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and Potatoes

Buuny_Friend

Mama Doe
Does anyone know of any websites / have any links to information stating that potato is poisonous to rabbits?

Can rabbits have cooked potato or potato crisps?

P.S. I am not planning to feed some to my guys, have just seen some rabbit 'treats' for sale and would like to know the facts so I know whether to contact the manufacturer or not.

Raw potato is poisonous to rabbits
Cooked potato isn't..years ago meat rabbit breeders used to feed their stock on cooked potato peelings
but I wouldn't recommend it as a food stuff..some of the veg baby foods that have cooked spuds in are ok to use if and when needed..but apart from that I would say avoid
on bunny treats probably ok as only going o be fed occasionally
which treats are you looking at?

Does anyone know of any websites / have any links to information stating that potato is poisonous to rabbits?

Can rabbits have cooked potato or potato crisps?

P.S. I am not planning to feed some to my guys, have just seen some rabbit 'treats' for sale and would like to know the facts so I know whether to contact the manufacturer or not.

Is that the Beaphars ones? I wondered about this too.

I bought Rosewood's healthy fruit salad from Hay Experts, and was shocked to find it contained potatoes and leeks. I understand the product has been withdrawn, although I'm still waiting for a refund/instructions for returning the product.

Raw potato is poisonous to rabbits
Cooked potato isn't..years ago meat rabbit breeders used to feed their stock on cooked potato peelings
but I wouldn't recommend it as a food stuff..some of the veg baby foods that have cooked spuds in are ok to use if and when needed..but apart from that I would say avoid
on bunny treats probably ok as only going o be fed occasionally
which treats are you looking at?

I saw them in Sainsbury's. They are from a company called 'Walkapet Limited' (don't seem to have a website). They are called 'Crunchy Vegetables Small Animal Treats' and are available in a 125g bag.

Blurb: Rabbits, Guinea Pigs and Hamsters love these crispy, crunchy and nutritious vegetables, including our unique parsley dusted potato slices!

Ingredients: Potato (49.5%). carrot, jerusalem artichoke, parsley (0.5%).

Feeding guide: Our crunchy vegetables are a great treat, but everything in moderation, so as a guide up to 10g per pet per day is about right, with up to 5g for smaller pets and chinchillas.

I saw them in Sainsbury's. They are from a company called 'Walkapet Limited' (don't seem to have a website). They are called 'Crunchy Vegetables Small Animal Treats' and are available in a 125g bag.

Blurb: Rabbits, Guinea Pigs and Hamsters love these crispy, crunchy and nutritious vegetables, including our unique parsley dusted potato slices!

Ingredients: Potato (49.5%). carrot, jerusalem artichoke, parsley (0.5%).

Feeding guide: Our crunchy vegetables are a great treat, but everything in moderation, so as a guide up to 10g per pet per day is about right, with up to 5g for smaller pets and chinchillas.

That's a high perecentage of potato. Personally I wouldn't risk it - I haven't even risked picking out the bits that obviously aren't potato from my 'healthy fruit salad.'

Back