• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What a busy day! 2 rescues... new hutches. Grump Dexter and Pumpkin home with kits!

Zahirre

Warren Veteran
What a day it's been!

Yesterday, Karen was kind enough to drop off to me, two buns that she rescued before Christmas. (Long story... it's all in the welfare section :)) So two new buns it was and a 2 hour journey home to York!

We'd taken Pumpkin and kits to a friends before Christmas whilst we were away and had our neighbour check in on the other animals until we came home :)

So... today, we searched for two new hutches! Our rescue buns were being housed together despite being male/female. Until we find out whether she is pregnant or not, or until she is spayed they will be housed seperately. Unfortunately, we could only afford 2 single storey hutches for the moment. I didn't want to spend a fortune on 2 amazing hutches when they'll be back together soon! So... saving starts today (or just wait until the student loan comes through :p) and we'll be getting a fab hutch/run for them both :) It's so strange having two outside buns as my others are house bunnies!

So, at the moment, the OH is building the hutches! Then Hermy and Little whitey will be popped outside! As I feel so awful about them only having a small hutch atm (it's 4x2x2) and with my hours at uni being so little this term, they will be having hours and hours of free rang time in the house! I'll have one bun in each room :p It's just as well Hermy has turned out not to be a giant or I'd have had to make permanent measure for her to be inside!

The original plan was to get both buns here and then start the process of finding them forever homes... However, we have since fell in love and the OH is desperate to keep them! (It feels very strange... He's a reptile/cat kinda man!) So new hutch soooon!!!

Next, we have Dexie! As we'd left him for a few days with just the popping in and out of our neighbour, I now have a very cross, angry bun! I've been nipped in the shins and grunted at goodness knows how many times! The only time I feel loved is when I pick him up and he gives me a good old snuggle!!!

As for Pumpkin and the kits... I'm in shock! My best friend, Fiona has done a wonderful job at looking after them and Pumpkin came home today with her hutch full of straw, veggies and oodles of pellets! She's an amazing woman for helping out so much! I was dying to check on the kits as Fifi had told me they'd grown so much and their ears were sticking up. Had a look at them and they look amazing! I'm so proud of Pumples! They all have full bellies and are very active and wriggly! After I'd checked on them, madam did jump inside the nest. It worried me a bit as she's been fine with me going in and out since she had them. However, I had a peek and she was grooming them and pushing them under her, ready for a feed! The little suckling noises were amazing!

Then had another panicky moment as the towel had slipped off of Pumpkins cage and she had clocked Hermy and Little Whitey having a hop about (in seperate areas) and I got the panicked look from her. Popped my head in to check and she was back in the nest again... looked in and she was grooming/feeding them again. Decided now to only let the buns free range in the living room and upstairs now as I don't want my Pumples getting too panicked. She's did so well up until now!

Just taken pics of most of the buns (minus Dexie as he's hiding somewhere!) so will be popping them up this evening!

Meghanne xx

Back