• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Realizing how much space bunnies need to binky!96 sq foot

Ambience

Warren Veteran
I'm starting to realize that the minimum recommendations of 6x2x2 + a 6x4 run is still too small for bunnies to binky in.

I have never seen my buns binky properly in a 6x4 run, but i am seeing them doing it all the time in there 12x8 space.

That's 96sq foot for a bunny to show to show it's happiness. About 3 x what is recommended by the Rspca for two buns.

Of course this is not just one bunny- it's a trio, but i think buns can't really binky properly in a much smaller space.

Anyone else feel this?
What kind of space have you seen buns binky in?

Yeah I think this too. I think a long area is needed! Mine will only do it on the landing or in the double run with both sets of panels.

Mine have got a 6 x 4 run under their hutch and i must admit they don't do full on leaping-in-the-air type binkies in there, they only do that out in the garden. They do mini binkies where they run round like a pair of nutters kicking out their back legs. 6x4 seemed great when we got it last summer but i'm seriously considering an extension to the run this year. We've only got a little garden but i'm sure we could add another couple of feet on the front and make it 6x6.

I wonder if we could collate experiences and figure out what the minimum binky space is for a bun on RU :) I can definately take it down to 12x8 from your 13x10.

Hang on let me measure again accurately :) brb

Okay back- it's 12.5ftx 8.5f space.

Mine have got a 6 x 4 run under their hutch and i must admit they don't do full on leaping-in-the-air type binkies in there, they only do that out in the garden. They do mini binkies where they run round like a pair of nutters kicking out their back legs. 6x4 seemed great when we got it last summer but i'm seriously considering an extension to the run this year. We've only got a little garden but i'm sure we could add another couple of feet on the front and make it 6x6.

I know what you mean- in the summer my 6x4ft runs didn't seem so bad. Now i have a bigger house though I'm realizing what a small space i had them in.

Mine do chase in 6x4 too, but it's just nicer for them to be able to binky. It really makes me smile when i look out of the kitchen window and they are binkying like the wild bunnies do round here :)

I was going to put up the 6x4 runs orginally, but i'm tempted to get some big avairy's or kennels put up in the garden for all my buns here as this temporary space is really helping them being bigger than i orginally planned.

I've seen mine binky on a double bed, not sure how big that is :)

mine can binky in their shed (8x6) and their run (8x8) but I don't tend to see them do it now they've been in there for a while.
I only see them binky if they've been out of their shed/run for a little while so I think for mine it's more to do with the thrill of being out of their usual space than the space itself.

I always thought a binky was simply a display from one rabbit to others about how fit and healthy they are. When Dillan was newly bonded with Sally he used to binky in their run which is 7ft by 4ft quite often.

He seems to have stopped now, but he will binky when freeranging in the garden because he doesnt get the opportunity often and he can see my other pair of rabbits too when he does it. My boys definitely binky more which is why I think they're just displaying to one another. I don't think I've seen either of the girls binky ever, even when they had the garden to do it.

Helen xx

Louie does little ones in the house but saves his big ones for when he bombs down the steps to the garden, hits the ground and launches into massive leaps :lol::lol:

I always thought a binky was simply a display from one rabbit to others about how fit and healthy they are. When Dillan was newly bonded with Sally he used to binky in their run which is 7ft by 4ft quite often.

He seems to have stopped now, but he will binky when freeranging in the garden because he doesnt get the opportunity often and he can see my other pair of rabbits too when he does it. My boys definitely binky more which is why I think they're just displaying to one another. I don't think I've seen either of the girls binky ever, even when they had the garden to do it.

Helen xx

No a binky is what a rabbit does when they are happy. :love: I don't think they have control over it. :lol:

I've seen mine binky on a double bed, not sure how big that is :)

mine can binky in their shed (8x6) and their run (8x8) but I don't tend to see them do it now they've been in there for a while.
I only see them binky if they've been out of their shed/run for a little while so I think for mine it's more to do with the thrill of being out of their usual space than the space itself.

That's 6x4 imagine approx maybe slightly less- shall i get my tape measure out again :)

Julie must be weird. She has all of the kitchen and the whole house of wide open spaces but prefers to binky in her teeny tiny cage and in the laundry room between the laundry basket and the wall when it is right close to the wall. Her tiny cage is just to house her hay. She is never locked in. It seems like getting fresh hay makes so very happy and makes her binky as well as seeing the laundry. She loves the laundry for some reason and she has to binky all around the basket. Julie seems to binky when she is over excited about something. She binkies at the sight of food and new toys too.

Julie must be weird. She has all of the kitchen and the whole house of wide open spaces but prefers to binky in her teeny tiny cage and in the laundry room between the laundry basket and the wall when it is right close to the wall. Her tiny cage is just to house her hay. She is never locked in. It seems like getting fresh hay makes so very happy and makes her binky as well as seeing the laundry. She loves the laundry for some reason and she has to binky all around the basket. Julie seems to binky when she is over excited about something. She binkies at the sight of food and new toys too.

Do you know how big the tiny space is she binkys in? When i moved her i thought there was no space. I guess it was because the house is alot bigger and the land looked smaller than i thought. I'm glad to find i actually have loads of space even in my own garden to have runs of a much bigger size and avairys etc. Just trying to get some organized now.

Each pair of mine have a 9ft long section of aviary but they dont let loose until they have the whole garden. The speeds they get to could not be reached in a run however large, they go crazy! Lucky for them I have a large garden. For me free range time is really important. My bunnies agree :lol:. (I understand not everyone can provide this so its the age old quote.... the bigger the better)

Do you know how big the tiny space is she binkys in? When i moved her i thought there was no space. I guess it was because the house is alot bigger and the land looked smaller than i thought. I'm glad to find i actually have loads of space even in my own garden to have runs of a much bigger size and avairys etc. Just trying to get some organized now.

We meant the cage as a transport cage but we leave it for her and put her hay in it because she loves it. She like tiny spaces. It is only a little bigger than 2 and a half feet long and 1 and a half foot wide. She does funny binkies in there and around the laundry basket. She jumps straight up and turns around so that she is facing the opposite direction.
She will do it over and over again. It is more like an in place binkiing .:lol:Like running in place. Most of her binkies even in wide open spaces are twisty turny ones.

Sounds like your bunny has loads of space. Julie does too but seems to prefer small spaces. She also goes crazy trying to get into the pantry which is a closet. She sneaks in sometimes and binkies in there too.

Back