• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First time owner questions

Alicia

Mama Doe
There is a possibility I will be getting a rabbit next Summer and I haven't had one before so I have a few questions :)

I'm probably getting a netherland dwarf because I think a small rabbit would be better for me, also I've looked after netherland dwarfs so I'm more used to them then other types of rabbit. What hutch would you recommend for a netherland dwarf? People have recommended that I get a shed to keep it in but this won't be possible really, so is there a hutch you would recommend?

Are mix foods or pellets better to feed them? I already have guinea-pigs and pellets are better for guinea-pigs because of selective feeding, do rabbits do this too?
How much exercise do they need? My friend has rabbits and she has suggested I get a buck because apparently they are often more friendly?
I think I'll get an adult rabbit because it's my first rabbit I think I'd be more comfortable with an older rabbit.
If you have anymore information on rabbits that you think could help me, thank you :)

Also, what toys etc. do you think it should have, and things in their hutch? Of course I'll get a food bowl and water bottle, but what else?
Sorry for so many questions! :)

I'm a first time bunny mum too. I get my two next week :)
Things I've picked up from this site in a nutshell are:

• people prefer feeding pellets to eliminate selective feeding. I'm guessing guinea pig pellets can't be fed to bunnies.
• the RSPCA suggest that a 6ft hutch is best, regardless if the size of your rabbit. I know this isn't always possible so they suggest access to a large run.
• rabbits should have at least 4 hrs a day exercise.
• I'm not sure about bucks being more friendly. I think it depends on it's background. I'm getting 2 does that are from the same litter. Rabbits prefer company.

I think I've covered all your questions..? I'm no expert, these are things I've picked up since lurking on this forum. Maybe others can shed some light.

For Christmas my bunnies got lots of nice nibbly things like willow sticks and balls. They also got a treat ball that they can push along the floor. You can buy alsorts of tubes and igloo things.. In fact, you name it, you can buy it for a rabbit! Lol

There is a possibility I will be getting a rabbit next Summer and I haven't had one before so I have a few questions :)

I'm probably getting a netherland dwarf because I think a small rabbit would be better for me, also I've looked after netherland dwarfs so I'm more used to them then other types of rabbit. What hutch would you recommend for a netherland dwarf? People have recommended that I get a shed to keep it in but this won't be possible really, so is there a hutch you would recommend?

Are mix foods or pellets better to feed them? I already have guinea-pigs and pellets are better for guinea-pigs because of selective feeding, do rabbits do this too?
How much exercise do they need? My friend has rabbits and she has suggested I get a buck because apparently they are often more friendly?
I think I'll get an adult rabbit because it's my first rabbit I think I'd be more comfortable with an older rabbit.
If you have anymore information on rabbits that you think could help me, thank you :)

:wave:
As you live in Surrey I would suggest you give Bobtails a call and go and pay them a visit. They have lots of buns waiting for a special home and are a very experienced rescue who will go through all your questions and make sure you get the right sort of housing etc.
The best thing about a rescue bun is that it will be neutered and vaccinated before adoption, saving you expense at the outset. They will also match your personality to the right bunny for you and guide you through the whole process.
Sex of bunny makes no difference to personality, bucks and does can be grumpy or friendly, but a neutered rabbit is nearly always much calmer.
http://www.bobtailsrescue.org.uk/

Hiya :wave:

- First of all please consider rescueing a rabbit, there are so many in rescues that you are bound to find one you fall in love with :love: Also Netherland dwarfs are rone to dental problems I believe so you may want to consider that aswell
- Rabbits should be kept in pairs, if you do decide to rescue they will have pairs already bonded. If you decide to bond two bunnies yourself a male/female pairing seems to be the easiest.
- Space, I belive the RWAF reccomend two rabbits should be kept in a 6x2 hutch with an attched 6x4 run, though I could be wrong. Also Netherland dwarfs tend be very active bunnies. (Of course, as with any animal, bigger is better!)
- You are right, pellets are usually reccomended over mixes because of selective feeding. Burgess Excell, Science Selective, Allen & Page are all good pellets
- Excercise, I believe all rabbits should have an attached run all the time, though sometimes thats not always possible. If you have a secure garden (it has to be really secure!) then rabbits love freerange time!
- I think it depend totally on personality whether you have a hoomin friendly bun or not, for instance my female is alot friendlier than my male!

Food bowl, water bowl, litter tray if you plan on littertraing them (makes cleaning out ALOT easier! Willow balls, loo rolls, tunnels, cardboard boxes go down well. One of my rabbits love a plastic childrens step stool

Hope thats helpful! :wave:x

Back