• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice on how to give wormer

beki

Mama Doe
I am trying to give my buns lapizole. Doing the 5 day treatment as I am having so many problems getting them to take it I will never manage a month. Saw the vet today and as I had a break over Christmas half way through the course she suggested starting the 5 days over again

My rabbits are so awkward though. I have tried holding them on their backs, wrapping them in towels, putting them on the worktop and holding their heads. I gave ruby hers in veg yesterday and she ate it but today she wouldn't. Reggie is to suspicious of his food on a good day to fall for that trick! I just get more of the stuff on me than in the rabbits mouth!

I think I really upset reggie today and he was actually whimpering as I was trying to hold him still and I am sure I wasn't hurting him as I wasn't being rough, he just doesn't like being cornered or held for long. I just ended up squirting it in the general direction of his face and kept him indoors until he washed it off. I don't know how I am going to do the full course with them. I can keep their bodys still but they won't keep their heads still :(

Do you have anyone who could hold them whilst you administer the Lapizole ?

I really would not put them on their back to administer it as they may well aspirate it (choke).

Panacur Liquid is easier to administer than a paste so you could try that. Panacur contains the same active ingredient as Lapizole (Fenbendazole). I use the Panacur 10% Liquid and the dose rate is 0.2ml/kg/day.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-worming-...panacur-10-x-100ml-liquid-for-cats-dogs-p-175

I would discuss changing to Panacur as Jane has suggested - the 10% solution needs a lower volume than Lapizole so usually is easier to get in in one go!

Thanks Jane and Marie. I do have a holder-well I hold the bunnies and my boyfriend gives them the wormer. I will get some of that panacur I think. Will I need to ask my vet before giving it to them? She only suggested the lapizole when I asked for an alternate wormer to the panacur paste last time so not sure if she would have given the stronger panacur for the bunnies

It's not 'stronger' in that you give the same dose (20mg/kg) but because the concentration of active ingredient (Fenbendazole) is greater PER ML in the Panacur you have to give less in volume for each dose.It's also much easier to administer a liquid than a paste. For example if your Rabbit weighs 2kg you'd only need to give 0.4ml Panacur Liquid, which is nothing really. Do make sure that you have some disposable 1ml syringes :)

If you explain to the Vet your reasons for wanting to change from Lapizole to Panacur Liquid I am sure he/she will be OK about it. It's the same medication but in a different form.

Back