• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Panel Heaters

bunny babe

Wise Old Thumper
What are thoughts on panel heaters?

We currently have tubular heaters (3-4) and I was thinking of maybe swopping them for 1 of these on the VERY cold nights. they have safety cut out switch. Their area is 6 x 8 and 6.5 ft high. I could also put it on timer so it only comes on at certain times i.e. coldest part of night.

I don't want to make it too hot so would just have the tubular for the not so cold nights. The tubular heaters can currnelty range from 60-340 watts.

I am really thinking of my older bunny in case we get another very cold spell (which I believe may be coming :?).

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4151364/Trail/searchtext>PANEL+HEATER.htm

Why do you want to swap? The tubular heaters keep sheds at about 1 or 2 degrees when it's minus 11 outside! They stop water freezing and there's a noticeable difference in temperature between the outside and the inside of bunny accommodation.

Do you actually want to 'heat' the shed so that it's warmer for your elderly bunny? If so, I guess you'd probably need both heaters going on very cold nights. I'd also think you'd need to put them both on at bed time because it takes a reasonable amount of time for the shed to warm up.

ETA - you'd need some form of protection around the heater because it would get very hot.

I am trying to think ahead really. Even with all the tubular heaters on it has been pretty cold out there and water frozen and we are not really sure whether that is why Homer took a turn for the worse on 23rd (we have had him in an unheated room in the house at night) or whether it was just an "ulcer" on his tongue.

As he is not getting any younger and may have to have GA dentals in the future I want to make sure we have things right and that we can supply enough warmth so he is "comfortable" - not hot.

Maybe I am being paranoid :oops: but I do worry about my little man. He does not like the cold. The other 2 are fine and have thicker coats.

We would ensure it was not near them i.e. install higher up and protection.

Back