• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Holiday advice?

Grin

Wise Old Thumper
We are planning a family holiday in August - we'll only be 2 hours away so it's not far but i am wondering what to do about rabbit care when we go?

Do i put my buns into a boarding place where they'll be outside and in a hutch and run (they currently have an outhouse so are protected more from the elements and have a fair bit of space). They'll be well cared for and regularly checked.

Or, my other option is have a professional pet sitter, come to the house and sort them out twice a day and clean/feed/ let them out etc? I know her and she's very animal knowledgable and knows my two well. I feel this will be good for them becuase they'll be on their own territory and not be space limited but someone wont be around 24/7 (not that i am normally anyway as i work)

There are pro's and cons for both and i dont know what to do. In either case, i will need to book in the new year so i can get a space with it being August holidays etc.

I'd really appreciate any advice and those of you who go away, what do you do?

It's not possible for her to move in as she has her own pet sitting business.

We are planning a family holiday in August - we'll only be 2 hours away so it's not far but i am wondering what to do about rabbit care when we go?

Do i put my buns into a boarding place where they'll be outside and in a hutch and run (they currently have an outhouse so are protected more from the elements and have a fair bit of space). They'll be well cared for and regularly checked.

Or, my other option is have a professional pet sitter, come to the house and sort them out twice a day and clean/feed/ let them out etc? I know her and she's very animal knowledgable and knows my two well. I feel this will be good for them becuase they'll be on their own territory and not be space limited but someone wont be around 24/7 (not that i am normally anyway as i work)

There are pro's and cons for both and i dont know what to do. In either case, i will need to book in the new year so i can get a space with it being August holidays etc.

I'd really appreciate any advice and those of you who go away, what do you do?

Yeah, I go away quite a bit.... I take them to a nearby boarding kind of place for cats and rabbits we know them well so we trust them they get looked after very well.
( well getting salad and hugs isnt that bad is it?:D) the only advice i could give would be go with your instinct?:) hope you have a nice time and you make your mind up :lol:

I think option 2. You gave a negative for the first option and a possitive for the second ;) Seems you would feel more at ease with option 2. I have family look after mine in there own environment when I go away and they dont even notice im gone.

I would take them to a reputable boarding place. Go and check out a few to see what type of accomodation that they offer.

Certainly in my area there is everything available from tiny 4 x 2 hutches, 4 x 2 foot double storey hutches, sheds / wendy houses with attatched runs, 7 x 3 foot hutches in a shed up to large kennels. Go out and have a look and find out what sort of expereince knowledge that who ever runs the business has to offer.

the advantage of boarding is that the owner can check up on them more than twice a day which is more than they will get if they remain in your own home.

at least you are thinking well in advance to see what options are available,we are in the same position as do not go away often but what is we get an emergency with an elderly parent.

Thank you.

The positive for option 1 is that someone is there on hand and they'd immediately see if a vet was needed.

The positive for option 2 is that they wont need to be unsettled while we are away (which is bound to be unsettling anyway??)

The negatives for option 1 is the drive there, i dont know them and their space would be unfamiliar and limited.

The negatives for option 2 is that they'd be left alone for long periods (maybe delaying time taken if a vet were needed) - and thats the main reason for my indecision.

ETA: I took ages replying and more posts were made

I would take them to a reputable boarding place. Go and check out a few to see what type of accomodation that they offer.

Certainly in my area there is everything available from tiny 4 x 2 hutches, 4 x 2 foot double storey hutches, sheds / wendy houses with attatched runs, 7 x 3 foot hutches in a shed up to large kennels. Go out and have a look and find out what sort of expereince knowledge that who ever runs the business has to offer.

the advantage of boarding is that the owner can check up on them more than twice a day which is more than they will get if they remain in your own home

That's what i was thinking but i do like the idea of them being in familiar surroundings with a familiar member of family. I am not even sure what the rabbit boarding place is like but i suppose my next step is to check it out. :)

Last edited:
I prefer to use a pet sitter. I've got too many animals to put into boarding anyway, but I think it's less stressful for them.

Usually one of my parents will come and stay at my house while I'm away though.

I think it's safer for the house too, a pet sitter can open/close curtains and turn lights on and off etc., so it looks like there's someone home. :wave:

I prefer to use a pet sitter. I've got too many animals to put into boarding anyway, but I think it's less stressful for them.

Usually one of my parents will come and stay at my house while I'm away though.

I think it's safer for the house too, a pet sitter can open/close curtains and turn lights on and off etc., so it looks like there's someone home. :wave:

ooh - that's true.

And she can feed my fishies too. :lol:

I think my next step is to look at the set up of the rabbit boarding place - it's the only option around here so if it's no good then i'll know for def.

The pet sitter will keep us updated daily by texts too and i know that will set my mind at rest.

:?

Interesting thread, curious to see everyone's thoughts.
We waited until after our big holiday before we got Jenson and don't have anything currently planned except for my work do which is one night and I hope my neighbour will feed/check him if not a friend has already agreed.

I hope to visit some boarding places in case we need one.

Previously we've taken ours to a boarding place, which is brilliant and the set up is great. We had our housebun Squidgy then, who was quite old and frail and did need someone on hand.
Now we've just got the 4 outside buns and our foster bun, it's easier to have a petsitter twice a day. It means less upheaval for the bunnies, and it's worked out fine. She know what to look out for in terms if illness and knows to text me if she thinks anything's wrong.
Pros and cons for both really I think.

I've normally had three options:

1. Ian stays home to look after them. I go away more often than him and he is a great bunny dad now that he's had some experience.

2. We both go away and get a friend to care for them, twice a day. I normally go for this option because I didn't want to unsettle them, nowhere that I know around here provides the same amount of space and at the time I never had any health concerns regarding my buns (But that was Gasket and Tappet). Now we have Sprocket and Widget, who both seem to be prone to various illnesses I would hesitate to get a friend to care for them because neither of our usual stand ins are that rabbit savvy. so that leaves option3.

3. Bunny boarding, we have used Cheryl for Gasket and tappet once and she was fantastic. I knew they would be in good hands but she isn't always available.

I think i've a lot to consider. Now i know the boarding place is fantastic for cats - it might not be the same for rabbits so i need to check it out.

I also hadnt thought about cost so it will be interesting to see the cost difference too - i have no idea what to expect in either case.

Just to add - cost wont be the deciding factor or anything - i dont mind paying more if it means they get better care.

I would prefer to get someone to move in for the duration of my holiday!

I think any new surroundings would just be too much for Louie plus he would need to board somewhere that offers indoor freeranging.

I'll just holiday at home I think :D

I would prefer to get someone to move in for the duration of my holiday!

I think any new surroundings would just be too much for Louie plus he would need to board somewhere that offers indoor freeranging.

I'll just holiday at home I think :D

I havent got the option of moving someone in - i did last time but it was only for 3 nights - we cant manage it for a week.

Lol @ the holidaying at home!

I havent got the option of moving someone in - i did last time but it was only for 3 nights - we cant manage it for a week.

Lol @ the holidaying at home!

Luckily my Mom has always said she would come and stay here if we go away. I have taught her so much about rabbits that I would feel very confident leaving him in her care :D

It's a though decision. I wouldn't know what to do. Luckily I can't afford a holiday atm! :lol:

It's a though decision. I wouldn't know what to do. Luckily I can't afford a holiday atm! :lol:

My mum has offered me her caravan for a week - i cant refuse - they kids will love it! :lol: Plus it's in the summer holidays - we could never afford to go away at that time of year normally! :D

I just rang the only local rabbit boarding place that is around for miles and miles (a few have shut down lately).

She used to be a rabbit farmer and owned over 200 - they were all for meat though and not pets. :cry::cry:

She therefore is very rabbit knowledgable and the rabbits do not need to be vaccinated as they wont come into contact with other rabbits or animals. :shock:

They get locked outside in the day and locked inside at night - she couldnt comment on size of accomodation but i could go and look.

They get fed rabbit royale (i wasnt even asked if this was ok for mine).

Oh dear! :shock:

My pet sitter offered to come and tend to mine twice a day for as long as i need her and wants to come and discuss our needs. We are to write everything down. It will cost £10 a day - she was very apologetic at the cost but explained it was mainly to cover fuel costs. She also offered to share the duty with any of my family members to try and keep costs down. She also wants a full list of emergency contact numbers.

What one do you guys think is the better option?? :shock:

Back