• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch boredom

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
With the long nights and Spenser being a single bunny, I do worry about him being bored. A lot of the toys I've bought him either don't interest him or have 'supervision recommended' on the label. I actually left one of these (a willow ball) in the hutch last night - surely the point of toys is to give your bunny something to do when you are not with it? Spenser is more awake during the day than he was in the summer, so I'm hoping his body clock has adjusted to suit the season and he actually sleeps at night.

Woops, I always leave willow balls in the with the rabbits! My two sleep through most the day, the only time they play with anything is at night! Has he got loo rolls? They seem to occupy my two for a while

ETA - Heather and Barty LOVE grass mats! They completly shred them!

Have you tried one of these... my buns aren't into toys at all but LOVE this toy and this toy alone:
https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Toys+%2526+Fun+Things.6/Weave-a-Ball.292.html
Bit pricey for how long it lasts but doesn't require supervision and keeps them very busy as long as you don't mind the mess! :lol:

No he hasn't had that one. I'm waiting to hear from Hay Experts about a refund for a product they've withdrawn due to concern about potentially non-bunny friendly ingredients, but I'll include one of these in my next order.

Woops, I always leave willow balls in the with the rabbits! My two sleep through most the day, the only time they play with anything is at night! Has he got loo rolls? They seem to occupy my two for a while

ETA - Heather and Barty LOVE grass mats! They completly shred them!

He loved his first chill and chew mat, but hasn't bothered with the second one (spends most of his time comfortably settled on various fleecy blankets.

Has he got a carrot patch toy? Louie spends ages killing his :D

Failing that, give him a load of phone/computer chargers. Louie LOVES those :roll::lol::lol:

Any luck with permanently bringing him into the conservatory?

Controversial reply: best toy = an attached, secure run to allow binkies & spectacular flops :D:D:D

*winces in anticipation of annoyed reply from Susie :oops:*

Controversial reply: best toy = an attached, secure run to allow binkies & spectacular flops :D:D:D

*winces in anticipation of annoyed reply from Susie :oops:*

:thumb: Sorry to disappoint, but I totally agree! :D Am working on this (slowly, verrrrry slowly :roll:), but in the meantime his lordship must be amused (preferably by other means that nibbling on his litter bowl).

Mine love those Weave-a-ball things... they last one night :D

Chill and chew mats are also good, they tend to last a little longer than the first one lasted :lol:

I have these things dangling in mine, although according to my two, they are only as interesting as their content!
P1000437.jpg

P1000432.jpg

Do he like to throw things? Beano loves chucking stuff around so I give her loo rolls and small plastic plant pots to throw around. I'm sure he will amuse himself and if he has toys etc I'm sure he will be fine, are you planning on getting him a rabbit friend? :)

Do he like to throw things? Beano loves chucking stuff around so I give her loo rolls and small plastic plant pots to throw around. I'm sure he will amuse himself and if he has toys etc I'm sure he will be fine, are you planning on getting him a rabbit friend? :)

Spenser only throws things if they are in the 'wrong' place. He frequently puts toys in his water bowl. I'd like to get him a friend, but it won't be until Spring at the earliest as it's too cold for an outdoor bunny to be neutered just now. Also, I his current set-up is not really suitable for two bunnies. It could be, but I need to sell the idea of an attached run to my parents first. ;)

Spenser only throws things if they are in the 'wrong' place. He frequently puts toys in his water bowl. I'd like to get him a friend, but it won't be until Spring at the earliest as it's too cold for an outdoor bunny to be neutered just now. Also, I his current set-up is not really suitable for two bunnies. It could be, but I need to sell the idea of an attached run to my parents first. ;)

;):D:D Parents eh? Who'd have 'em?! :lol:

Many rescue bunnies will already be neutered. :D

Many rescue bunnies will already be neutered. :D

The problem is that Master Spenser isn't netutered yet :oops::oops::oops: and his vet recommends waiting until the weather has warmed up a bit. Spenser hasn't done any of the classic horomnal things while I've had him (since April) but I'm beginning to wonder if his occasional grumpy days might be relevant here. :?

duke quite likes to sit the the lid of an A4 paper box and dig it, eat it or sleep sitting up in it - might be worth a try??

he likes carpet too - we got him some carpet tiles a while back about 50p each but had to move them when libby came home - he liked curling up on them and digging them - might have more luck trying to track some of those down during the christmas season??

can you scatter his food around to give him something to forage for? or crush up some dried herbs and let him forage for those?

The problem is that Master Spenser isn't netutered yet :oops::oops::oops: and his vet recommends waiting until the weather has warmed up a bit. Spenser hasn't done any of the classic horomnal things while I've had him (since April) but I'm beginning to wonder if his occasional grumpy days might be relevant here. :?

Ah - i get it! :lol:

Maybe with age he's turning grumpy then. I'm sure a neuter and a friend would sort him out when the time comes. :)

duke quite likes to sit the the lid of an A4 paper box and dig it, eat it or sleep sitting up in it - might be worth a try??

he likes carpet too - we got him some carpet tiles a while back about 50p each but had to move them when libby came home - he liked curling up on them and digging them - might have more luck trying to track some of those down during the christmas season??

can you scatter his food around to give him something to forage for? or crush up some dried herbs and let him forage for those?

I've tried scatter-feeding, with some success ... couldn't do it for a couple of weeks there as things were tending to freeze before Spenser found them. Also, he is a fussy nommer, but will eat non-favourites like carrot if I cut them just the way he likes and put them right in front of him (not in the dish). 'm a bit wary of carpet in case he eats it, but he does like to dig in his straw.

Hi!:wave:
Shame its very difficult when you dont have the space he needs & know running about is what he needs and are trying to keep him entertained.

What about a grass tunnel?
When my girls were in their hutch I would change their toys about - one day would be their grass tunnel...which they loved...next day a cardboard box for them to run through or hop on top of...next day a small cardboard box filled with hay/herbs & treats for them to tear up & eat!
They seemed to enjoy the variation and kept them interested on those rainy days when they didnt want to use their runs....

Id be careful with the willow balls...depends if he is a chewer or not but just make sur ehis head doesnt get stuck in them.

You could also fill a box with hay for him to dig in:D

Hi!:wave:
Shame its very difficult when you dont have the space he needs & know running about is what he needs and are trying to keep him entertained.

What about a grass tunnel?
When my girls were in their hutch I would change their toys about - one day would be their grass tunnel...which they loved...next day a cardboard box for them to run through or hop on top of...next day a small cardboard box filled with hay/herbs & treats for them to tear up & eat!
They seemed to enjoy the variation and kept them interested on those rainy days when they didnt want to use their runs....

Id be careful with the willow balls...depends if he is a chewer or not but just make sur ehis head doesnt get stuck in them.

You could also fill a box with hay for him to dig in:D

I hadn't thought of varying his toys, but he certainly has enough for this to be done. The available area is limiting. It's a 5 feet two storey hutch. Most of his toys are downstairs because otherwise they end up in his water bowl, plus the hatch for the stairs means there really isn't much room for toys. Today he has just sat in the same place, livening up only if I bring him a favourite food to eat. He can only have access to the run if it's not raining and if I am supervising.

maybe you could try the carpet and see what he does? duke (and libby now) ive seen occasionally try to bite it but generally they just like to dig it

the A4 paper box lid tho incredibly simple and boring to look at as a hooman does seem to provide plenty of entertainment to them both :)

we also give them newspaper scrunched up into balls

(definitely vary/swap out the toys - agree with the poster :D )

Back